ADVERTISEMENT

Name Your Final Four

The ESPN Invitational. Ratings galore (so they think, until the diehard CFB fans stop caring about these same teams every year)

Reactions: goru1869
The ESPN Invitational. Ratings galore (so they think, until the diehard CFB fans stop caring about these same teams every year)
Too bad that even ESPN said that the Mormons Vs Mullets Game had the highest ratings on ESPN since 2015.

The only way to get new faces is to expand and eventually I think it will to 8 with the usual dynamics everyone has discussed with the P5 champs highest G5 if they’re above a certain ranking threshold and a couple wild cards.

In the end you still might end up with the usual suspects for the final 4 and final 2 a lot of years but some years you will get those upsets and Cinderella stories and that’s a good thing imo.

Too bad that even ESPN said that the Mormons Vs Mullets Game had the highest ratings on ESPN since 2015.

No, they said it had the highest ratings on ESPNU, not ESPN. Big difference.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The only way to get new faces is to expand and eventually I think it will to 8 with the usual dynamics everyone has discussed with the P5 champs highest G5 if they’re above a certain ranking threshold and a couple wild cards.

In the end you still might end up with the usual suspects for the final 4 and final 2 a lot of years but some years you will get those upsets and Cinderella stories and that’s a good thing imo.
Not really. They wouldve added Oklahoma, Texas AM, Florida, and MAYBE Cincy if not Oregon.

The problem with giving autobids to conference champions is that you are making the OOC games meaningless. This runs counter to the "every game matters" mantra.

Plus, since an attractive OOC win will no longer matter for your resume, the heavyweights may really start scheduling down.

Not really. They wouldve added Oklahoma, Texas AM, Florida, and MAYBE Cincy if not Oregon.
A&M is a new face, UF has won championships but I don’t they’ve made the playoffs once so new face, Cincy and any G5 in a given year would be a new face. There’s possibility for variety with expansion there’s very little wiggle room for new faces with 4.

Should have been
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Cincinnati
4. Clemson

ND, TAMU, OKLAHOMA have very bad schedules when you drill down and look at it closely.

Big 12 and ACC OOC games proved without a doubt that they are more on par with the PAC12 and Sun Belt than the SEC or B1G.

The problem with giving autobids to conference champions is that you are making the OOC games meaningless. This runs counter to the "every game matters" mantra.

Plus, since an attractive OOC win will no longer matter for your resume, the heavyweights may really start scheduling down.
I think each P5 should have a representative but I'd be worried about those few years a mediocre representative from one half of a conference pulls off an upset in a conf champ game...Colorado beating Texas awhile back rings a bell to me. It wouldn't happen often but the years it did you'd be like eh...so part of me is like take the highest CFP ranked team from each conference but for simplicity I'm sure the conf champions would be the measure.

As far as scheduling, well there can only be one conference champ so if you have any hope outside of that to make it as a wild card and boost your ranking I still think teams would want to have a solid SOS. If you don't then the probability of your second chance of making the playoff as a wild card should you not be a conf champ goes down.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Alabama - Yes (11-0)
Clemson- Yes(10-1, lost to ND)
Notre Dame - Yes (Record 10-1, played 10 P-5 Programs and beat Clemson)
Cincinnati - No (Record 9-0, played no P-5 Programs)

Ohio State-Toss up (Record 6-0, played 6 P-5 Programs that had a combined W/L record 24/24)
Texas A&M- Toss up(Record 8-1, played 8 P-5 programs, lost to Alabama)

Ohio State has the worst record getting into the Final 4.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ND making it is a joke. win at clemson was with half the team missing, and only other good win was NC. must be nice to be ND

Alabama - Yes (11-0)

Ohio State-Toss up (Record 6-0, played 6 P-5 Programs that had a combined W/L record 24/24)

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Great post. We're all talking about ND making it, Ohio State was the one who should've been scrutinized the most.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Alabama - Yes (11-0)

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Nitpick: At 6-0, Ohio State clearly does not have the worst record getting into the Final 4. What they have, is the weakest resume. Is Cincinnati's stronger? A much better case can be made for A&M than Cincinnati IMO.

ND was embarrassed last night. no business being there. OSU played the games they were given. ND is perennially overrated and they will be embarrassed against Alabama.

OSU does NOT have the worst record. 6-0 >> 10-1. 100% winning percentage

Great post. We're all talking about ND making it, Ohio State was the one who should've been scrutinized the most.

Reactions: Plum Street
ND was embarrassed last night. no business being there. OSU played the games they were given. ND is perennially overrated and they will be embarrassed against Alabama.

OSU does NOT have the worst record. 6-0 >> 10-1. 100% winning percentage
👌🏼

Would Notre Dinero have gotten in if they had lost to a Trevor Lawrence QB’d Clemson twice?

The Playoff Committee was suppose to remove the flaws of the previous National Championship selection process. Instead, they seem to have brought back the flaws before that. Right now, the previous way of picking looks to be closer to what everyone wants than left up to this elite little group.

Reactions: Plum Street
The Playoff Committee was suppose to remove the flaws of the previous National Championship selection process. Instead, they seem to have brought back the flaws before that. Right now, the previous way of picking looks to be closer to what everyone wants than left up to this elite little group.
I agree . Give us the computer

I believe 1-3 are locked in. As for ND, they probably will hang on due to the lack of a viable alternative. TA&M is a better team, but can you really match them up with Bama who already destroyed them?

They’re ND and since it’s close they’re in. Any other analysis is wishcasting

Reactions: tico brown
A&M game against UNC will show whether they deserved 4th spot, as it was the game that put ND resume into playoff...good point that “defacto” playoff loses versus Alabama & Clemson were already collected by A&M and ND...OSU has not lost yet, deserves to be in, as they are top 4 talent team. Cincy, as did UCF years back, but will never get chance until it goes to 8

A&M game against UNC will show whether they deserved 4th spot, as it was the game that put ND resume into playoff...good point that “defacto” playoff loses versus Alabama & Clemson were already collected by A&M and ND...OSU has not lost yet, deserves to be in, as they are top 4 talent team. Cincy, as did UCF years back, but will never get chance until it goes to 8

Played 6 games---their conference changed their rules to allow them to play in their Conference Championship Game.

But Notre Dame is privileged ?

Please

Now are they one of the 4 best ? I think they are. But that isn't the issue. They changed the rules they set up at the Big Ten to allow them in.

The fact is that OSU , Clemson and Bama are looking down at the rest of college football.

We're in a group of 5-6 teams below them but the gap is significant.

I say this as a former player and a grad. I'm also a big RU fan since I moved here 30 years ago.

Look at the Rivals recruiting rankings over the past 5 years . Find a year where these 3 aren't interchangeable in the Top 3-----and it shows on the field. We are usually somewhere between 12 and 20 .

Only Bama , Clemson , OSU , Oklahoma and Georgia have won more games than us over the past 4 years .

That's pretty good company.

Reactions: RealNinja
Played 6 games---their conference changed their rules to allow them to play in their Conference Championship Game.

But Notre Dame is privileged ?

Please

Now are they one of the 4 best ? I think they are. But that isn't the issue. They changed the rules they set up at the Big Ten to allow them in.

The fact is that OSU , Clemson and Bama are looking down at the rest of college football.

We're in a group of 5-6 teams below them but the gap is significant.

I say this as a former player and a grad. I'm also a big RU fan since I moved here 30 years ago.

Look at the Rivals recruiting rankings over the past 5 years . Find a year where these 3 aren't interchangeable in the Top 3-----and it shows on the field. We are usually somewhere between 12 and 20 .

Only Bama , Clemson , OSU , Oklahoma and Georgia have won more games than us over the past 4 years .

That's pretty good company.
The thing is Notre dame is in the playoffs again ...and will get embarrassed again.
How many times we need to see them get drilled in the post season? So yes you can make an argument for Notre dame to be number 4 . But most people want to see someone else play and maybe , just maybe put up a fight against Alabama . Having Notre dame get exposed again is not fun

Well Oklahoma has gotten embarrassed in their last 2 appearances.

Texas A&M got smoked by Bama in Game 2.

You're not crazy enough to think Cincy belongs there are you ?

Well Oklahoma has gotten embarrassed in their last 2 appearances.

Texas A&M got smoked by Bama in Game 2.

You're not crazy enough to think Cincy belongs there are you ?
Oklahoma did lose an overtime game recently. All I am saying Notre dame is going to get embarrassed....again . If I was a Notre dame fan I would want them in another bowl that I can win . We have seen this movie before . As for cincy , they would probably lose big to Alabama too - but we will never know. We kinda know what Notre dame will do

ND making it is a joke. win at clemson was with half the team missing, and only other good win was NC. must be nice to be ND

No, no. It was a HOME win in TWO Overtimes with half of Clemson's DL and superstar QB out. Total joke that Notre Dame gets in. They were the "there isn't a legitimate 4th team, so let's select a team that will get us ratings" selection. Cincinnati was a better pick because the American is competitive with the ACC. The last two seasons you could trade Clemson with any team of your choosing from the American and the American would be the better conference. Cincinnati would have gone undefeated in the regular season playing Notre Dame's schedule.

Reactions: RUinOhio
What the viewers probably hope does not happen.

Notre Dame beats Alabama

Clemson beats Ohio State

Clemson vs Notre Dame (Best out of 3)

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Really hoping to see Rutgers in it...

Edit: sorry, I'm an idiot. I thought this was basketball final four. But I will leave this post anyway, so my sentiments are known.

Reactions: RutgersRockies
This seems like it would have been as good a time as any to put in a G5 team, though Cincinnati only played one ranked team (and struggled to win in the freezing rain at home).

ADVERTISEMENT