ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Thurmond R.I.P

FELONIOUSMONK

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2012
As great a defensive center, when they mattered, for the San Francisco Warriors of the 60's. Like Bill Russell he made a career at one end of the floor and scored his points through hard work and second chance slams. Played with Rick Barry and Wilt .74 years old.

I will miss him; he was a class act, and known around the league for being a gentleman. . But did he really play with Rick Barry or Chamberlain?

He played with Wilt briefly I believe and they clogged up the middle. Barry may have started as he was going out of the league.

Yes, Thurmond was a rookie on the Warriors in Chamberlain's last year there before Chamberlain was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers. (Remember that the Warriors were originally the Philadelphia team and, after they moved, the Syracuse Nationals became the Philadelphia 76ers.) And it looks to me that Thurmond very briefly played with Barry in 1974-1975. The Warriors traded Thurmond early that year for Clifford Ray, who helped the Warriors win the NBA title that year. Thurmond eventually wound up with Cleveland. Both Cleveland and Golden State retired his jersey.

Last edited:
Lived pretty long for a guy that tall. Hope his post-NBA life was a good one. Nate was one of the grinders and hrd workers.
TL

ADVERTISEMENT