ADVERTISEMENT

National Men’s Semi and Finals

The rules have to change. It's a horrible way to finish a semifinal and a bad look for the sport. The replay clearly shows it's a violation.

we only saw one angle, but it sure as hell didn’t look fine
Shadow creates a problem. Someone will enhance the still shot from the second angle. My phone wasn’t able to get a clear look using the original broadcast angle.

Shadow creates a problem. Someone will enhance the still shot from the second angle. My phone wasn’t able to get a clear look using the original broadcast angle.
It was clear on reverse angle that he was in the crease. The issue is also the trail referee who was blocked out by shooter and defender was the official to make the call. The other referee had an unobstructed view and did not make call.

It was clear on reverse angle that he was in the crease. The issue is also the trail referee who was blocked out by shooter and defender was the official to make the call. The other referee had an unobstructed view and did not make call.
I tried another angle and his foot may be touching. He definitely “short-stepped” with his right leg but maybe still came down touching the line.
Duke player was conveniently blocking the view of the closest ref. Lol

We’re all well aware of the shadows, which is probably why it needed to be reviewed. Maybe he was out, but I find it very puzzling your degree of certainty that he was out when every ounce of video showed he was in.

Reactions: 4382
The game honestly should have replay on goals as well as coaches challenges. 1 challenge per half, lose a challenge and lose a TO.

Maybe push in the back would have been the right call at the end… 30 seconds … and Duke ball.

I tried another angle and his foot may be touching. He definitely “short-stepped” with his right leg but maybe still came down touching the line.
Duke player was conveniently blocking the view of the closest ref. Lol
Touching the line? 1/2 the guys foot was over the line. Big Duke fan?

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Been calling for this since Hopkins beat us several years ago. Goals must be able to be reviewed. They are too valuable and we easily have the tech to confirm the call.

Everyone knew within 15 seconds rhat wasn’t a legal goal.
If PSU won a Final Four game in OT over Duke in controversial fashion, I'd guarantee they'd implement video replay after each goal moving forward.

I can't imagine it not being instituted at this point.

This was the biggest stage in the sport and it makes it look mickey mouse.

You simply can't get that wrong.
Not having video replay for critical situations specifically in championship settings is mind boggling. But why do you have refs running from the field upon blowing the final whistle? Not a good look.

Not that it would’ve mattered but Cornell scored a goal on RU last year that was counted and should not have been. The player landed in the goal mouth. Semis and Championship are to big of stage for mistakes like this year, last year and the phantom pipe goal (UVA / MD).

Touching the line? 1/2 the guys foot was over the line. Big Duke fan?
I didn’t get a good look until later. The original angle looked like he was OK…and after rewatching I can see how both refs missed it. You can’t call what you can’t see.
This is a good look…

The UVA “goal” awarded vs Maryland (clearly hit the post and it even ricocheted quickly over the sideline) a few years ago was way worse IMO.

Reactions: Laxing4life
Odd take considering those angles were available no fewer than 15 seconds after the goal. Yet you were emphatic it was clean for more than 45 minutes and still only admitted to “maybe touching the line.”

But why can’t the referee looking directly at the shooter from the front not see and make the call?
Duke player actually blocked out the ref closest to the net and the other ref was blocked out as well as being a good distance behind the play.

Still not a goal.
I’m not 100% sure but I believe in college if he’s deemed to be pushed into the crease the goal can be awarded. I actually believe one could argue that the PSU player pushed from behind just hard enough to cause his foot to hit the line. Ref didn’t motion that a push was being acknowledged though and I doubt the refs are giving interviews.

THIS is one of the biggest issues with replay. Basketball will take 5 hours reviewing an obvious out of bounds call when it’s under two minutes and then you have something like this where according to the rules “it’s not reviewable.” Makes no sense. A couple other sports have this problem too

Reactions: Wagram97
Go Duke.

Gosh the ESPN crew is pushing the team of destiny narrative hard.

Love how they totally ignored the fact that last years UMD team was likely the best team ever. ESPN still has too much power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wagram97
Agree - also biased opinion they need to set a midwestern regional location each year.

While the game is still strongly focused in the Mid-Atlantic the rest of the country has found lacrosse in a big way and it’s growing with some new hotbeds. The NCAA does it a disservice with their lack of foresight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT