ADVERTISEMENT

Naz Reid top 7 -- Rutgers is out

I think that lucky break is Mamadou Doucoure. He plays with the correct level of sustainable energy. Him at the 4, evolving Myles Johnson at the five and you have a decent front court.

Add in Kiss, Baker, and a potential Mathis. You have some kids who will be able to play and compete at a high level.

I think the key to this is getting Mathis. Without him, it's not nearly as exciting (except for Doucoure).

I think the key to this is getting Mathis. Without him, it's not nearly as exciting (except for Doucoure).

The more i see, the more I am excited. Baker is a very good talent. Myles Johnson with some more cardio has a above average talent. Peter Kiss is a competitor. Mathis seems like a terrific kid, who is great at basketball. I would love to see him get to experience the banks.

Something tells me the program will land at least Mcclung or Mathis. Maybe not both, but one of them.

I was surprised that we got eliminated. Jerry Carino thought we were leading among the locals and that he might stay local. I guess things changed over the last 7 months. I know our coaches worked hard on Naz but you don't always get what you want. Hopefully we can do better with Mathis and McClung.

Not at all a deal breaker for RU or the thought that RU won't land a very good class......one of the national recruiting analysts pretty much confirmed to me back in the winter that once Kentucky got involved, that the local aspect of St John's, SHU and RU would ultimately go by the wayside....the explanation provided to me back in the late winter on specifically RU was that "there wasn't enough of a program foundation ready or in place, to take on a Reid right now and it's easier for him to blend into an established power program, where the expectations would not be left up to him exclusively"...and that's exactly how I see this going.

Sorry folks. This is why those other programs are the blue bloods and we are... well... Rutgers.
Another spot on comment which should be a reality check for fans who think recruiting top tier recruits is a easy task for Rutgers coaches.Perception matters and recruits have choices with winning traditions.

This also based on that list sans Seton Hall he has no intention of stayin local
I don't think he ends up at Seton Hall. Instincts tell me that is an Under Armour thing. In other words, he may have been encouraged to keep the in-state UA program on his list to the end because it looks good for SHU and for the UA brand.

This was one of those recruitments that RU was not going to get any help with. But RU had to recruit him all the way until they were told there was no need to continue.

Reactions: Underdogs88
Sorry folks. This is why those other programs are the blue bloods and we are... well... Rutgers.

Did we not got Naz because Rutgers isn't a blue blood?

Or is Rutgers not a blue blood because top in-state players like Naz choose not to come here?

Classic catch-22

New Jersey has soooo much talent in basketball and football that it could be a national title contenders in either sport IF these guys would just stay home. But they don't want to stay home because Rutgers is not national title contenders.

Drives me nuts.

m9BJkmo.gif

Did we not got Naz because Rutgers isn't a blue blood?

Or is Rutgers not a blue blood because top in-state players like Naz choose not to come here?

Classic catch-22

New Jersey has soooo much talent in basketball and football that it could be a national title contenders in either sport IF these guys would just stay home. But they don't want to stay home because Rutgers is not national title contenders.

Drives me nuts.

m9BJkmo.gif
IMARUFAN - We have been singing this same song for decades. Rutgers is a sleeping giant, Rutgers is a sleeping giant. There's a reason for that.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Seton Hall & LSU are blue bloods now?

When did that happen? Was I sleeping?

Russ, SHU is clearly not close to being a blue blood program. However, it's also clearly not a midmajor as you classified it earlier this past year.

Russ, SHU is clearly not close to being a blue blood program. However, it's also clearly not a midmajor as you classified it earlier this past year.
I don't recall calling Seton Hall a mid major, but I'll take your word for it.

Help me remember that conversation. When, and in what context, did I say they were?

I don't recall calling Seton Hall a mid major, but I'll take your word for it.

Help me remember that conversation. When, and in what context, did I say they were?

No problem, Russ. You stated something to the effect that you regarded Big East Teams with the exception of Villanova to be mid-majors. I'm not sure that you mentioned Seton Hall specifically. Upon further reflection, your comment was no big deal either way.

No problem, Russ. You stated something to the effect that you regarded Big East Teams with the exception of Villanova to be mid-majors. I'm not sure that you mentioned Seton Hall specifically. Upon further reflection, your comment was no big deal either way.
HA, yeah I was being sarcastic. Kind of like when I tell some of my friends who are Georgetown fans that the program should join the MAC since it's a MM program trying to compete in a HM conference

I'm beginning to think I will never see the day when a top notch New Jersey player decides that THEY are going to be the guy who is going to stay home and make Rutgers a perennial top 20 team instead of taking the easy path and going someplace that has traditionally been good.
How many times has that ever happened in any state? What has RU done in the previous 30 years that would convince any 5 star recruit that he could win here? It would take the commitment of multiple players, not just one.

How many times has that ever happened in any state? What has RU done in the previous 30 years that would convince any 5 star recruit that he could win here? It would take the commitment of multiple players, not just one.
The sad reality is that 4 star recruits who came to Rutgers transferred after 2 years because they were surrounded with other players who lacked the talent to successfully compete in a power conference.The years keep passing away but the results remain the same.Fans hope Piikiell can change the status quo.

Reactions: soundcrib
HA, yeah I was being sarcastic. Kind of like when I tell some of my friends who are Georgetown fans that the program should join the MAC since it's a MM program trying to compete in a HM conference

Lol. Gotcha!

It's sort of like being a NY football Giants fan in the middle to late 70's and early 80's. The winning will be so much sweeter because of the years of agony. So we have that up on fans of the UNCs and Kentuckys.

I have been going to games since 1971 and never miss a home game and go to as many road games as I can. I have suffered through years of agony and want to see this team succeed before I kick the bucket. Some of us really need to see RU become a success.That would be sweet.

Can't lose what you never were going to get. I guess OK to be considered especially for the CS after working so hard.
Find someone else.

Committed to LSU

Good for him. I thought it would come down to Kentucky and LSU.

In Zags article it mentions Reid as a 4 star prospect. I thought he was a 5 star prospect. Did his ranking drop?

Last edited:
Other than the obvious thought, what exactly does LSU bring as a basketball school that these top prospects like Reid and Ben Simmons want to go there?

I mean, schools throughout the country can talk crap about us, too, but we always have "it's his home school" in situations like this.

LSU is a fun place to go to school. Zero academic pressure, athletes are idolized, Saturday night LSU football experience is as good as it gets. And Naz probably was flattered getting a call from, or hanging out with, NJ native and one-time LSU player Shaquille O'Neal. Who is calling from Rutgers?

Let me see Kentucky vs. LSU. Hmmm. LSU?? Well, best of luck.

Still OK for us, tried our best. He could be a one and done or two and thru type guy. We want the four for sure players for now.

Other than the obvious thought, what exactly does LSU bring as a basketball school that these top prospects like Reid and Ben Simmons want to go there?

I mean, schools throughout the country can talk crap about us, too, but we always have "it's his home school" in situations like this.

Ben Simmons - a coach.

Naz Reid - girlfriend.

Reactions: RURM85

Simmons was an package deal. They hired his uncle/Godfather and Ben committed.

Will Wade ain't no joke. Love that guy. I told someone that Georgia Tech should hire him back when they fired Brian Gregory.

Doesn't Reid's gf attend LSU?

Simmons was an package deal. They hired his uncle/Godfather and Ben committed.

Will Wade ain't no joke. Love that guy. I told someone that Georgia Tech should hire him back when they fired Brian Gregory.

Doesn't Reid's gf attend LSU?

Thanks for answering. Sounds right.

I'm really excited about landing Washington, he may be the type of player that makes us forget about Reid.

LSU is a fun place to go to school. Zero academic pressure, athletes are idolized, Saturday night LSU football experience is as good as it gets. And Naz probably was flattered getting a call from, or hanging out with, NJ native and one-time LSU player Shaquille O'Neal. Who is calling from Rutgers?

images

ADVERTISEMENT