ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA now considering MSG a HOME game

ColonelRutgers

All American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2003
Per Brian Fonseca. What a complete crock. We should now announce to the Big Ten that they can shove this home game and we're moving it to Piscataway. Penn State chose to play a home game at the Palestra because their cavernous home arena sucks and there are more recruits and eyeballs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania than in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. Not comparable at all.

Last edited:
What a complete crock per Brian Fonseca. They we should now announced to the Big Ten that they can show this home game and we're moving it to Piscataway. Penn State chose to play a home game at the Palestra because their cavernous home arenacourt sucks and there are more recruits and eyeballs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania than in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. Not comparable at all.
Bullshit. MSG is a neutral court. NCAA blows.

It's bullshit. I can't believe it.

Penn State got hit was a home game because they controlled gameday ops and ticket sales.

If Michigan in 2020 as neutral how the hell is this any different?

I'm on team @G- RUnit now
Me too, although I think the B1G office (which he thinks is trying to screw this) is actually going to be angry about it. Because Rutgers rightfully will not want to do this anymore if they aren't going to count as neutral site games.

Maybe Pike will listen to this board and get to tell recruits "We don't play at MSG like you have always dreamed of, but not losing a true home game makes grown men on our message board happy". Grow up and think of the bigger picture in terms of the players, recruiting pitch, etc.

Maybe Pike will listen to this board and get to tell recruits "We don't play at MSG like you have always dreamed of, but not losing a true home game makes grown men on our message board happy". Grow up and think of the bigger picture in terms of the players, recruiting pitch, etc.
There are other ways to play at MSG. Not entirely sure that actively disadvantaging yourself in order to play a game at MSG is the selling point to recruits that you think it is, but okay.

The big picture now is that we are giving up alternating home and road games for two neutral site games but one of them counts as a home game. That's not a good deal. If the Big Ten wants to continue this event they should make certain that it is counted the way it extremely obviously should be; as a neutral site game.

There are other ways to play at MSG. Not entirely sure that actively disadvantaging yourself in order to play a game at MSG is the selling point to recruits that you think it is, but okay.

The big picture now is that we are giving up alternating home and road games for two neutral site games but one of them counts as a home game. That's not a good deal. If the Big Ten wants to continue this event they should make certain that it is counted the way it extremely obviously should be; as a neutral site game.
Exactly.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Wisconsin played Stanford in November outdoors at the Brewers stadium in Milwaukee.

Classified as a neutral game for NET.

I'm sure there are other similar examples out there.

If the Big Ten wants us to play at MSG then let's freakin' schedule a December out of conference game there every year and make it an annual event during the holiday season but to Hell with moving a conference game there. So far this year we've been screwed out of a road win in the Big Ten and then had a home Big Ten game stolen away from our schedule. A possible two game swing. And to those that say just win, in the era of the NET, all wins are not created equal.

not a big deal and fans should stop festering over the small details....

the bottom line is, if RU is good, we make the tourney and we get seeded well......

some people can't accept what has been decided....you can't change it, so forget it, it should not matter

Thank You! Crickets from many on here. Fluxotine’s head is going to explode that he’s wrong and that the last minute giving away of the home court advantage was an unnecessary and bad idea. B1G and NCAA hose RU again!! Truth hurts!

We should never agree to such a crappy idea again. And the fans who were complaining were not whining but actually 100 % correct!

And that’s what message boards are for!!!

not a big deal and fans should stop festering over the small details....

the bottom line is, if RU is good, we make the tourney and we get seeded well......

some people can't accept what has been decided....you can't change it, so forget it, it should not matter
It's not some huge season-ending thing. It's absolutely something that should impact Rutgers' decision making in the future though.

Stanford-Texas in Dallas - Neutral

I'm sure I could keep going. This was after 5 minutes of research. Surely Rutgers can appeal this crap? Nevermind, it's the NCAA.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Thank You! Crickets from many on here. Fluxotine’s head is going to explode that he’s wrong and that the last minute giving away of the home court advantage was an unnecessary and bad idea. B1G and NCAA hose RU again!! Truth hurts!
The post he responded "exactly" to was my post lmao

Reactions: GORU2014
It's not some huge season-ending thing. It's absolutely something that should impact Rutgers' decision making in the future though.
I would agree that, if in the future the game that RU
plays there should not be considered a home game, and then we should not agree to playing our home game there if this is the policy going forward

what I was saying, we were not expecting this, but it is nothing to get out of sorts about.. just don't agree to it in the future.

Nice scoop from Brian Fonseca. However, I don't understand his reporting.

"The league made a similar decision for Penn State’s meeting with No. 1 Purdue at the Palestra in Philadelphia, a venue much closer to the Nittany Lions’ State College campus that featured a heavy contingent of Penn State fans."

The Palestra in Philadelphia is 193 miles from Penn State's on-campus arena. Madison Square Garden is 38 miles from the RAC.

Let's not get flustered by the technicality of how the NCAA classifies the location of the game. It doesn't change the fact that Madison Square Garden is the greatest basketball venue on the planet with tens of thousands of Rutgers students and graduates living nearby.

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game.

It only impacts our resume if we are a bubble team which we are not. We have to win this game. Period. Doesn't matter where it is or what it's designated as. Time for revenge.
Seeding? Imagine we end up being the best 6 seed and end up in Des Moines instead of a 2-3 hour drive up to Albany as a 5 seed because of this.

It's an absurd decision that is inconsistent with similar games all over the country this season.

Nice scoop from Brian Fonseca. However, I don't understand his reporting.

"The league made a similar decision for Penn State’s meeting with No. 1 Purdue at the Palestra in Philadelphia, a venue much closer to the Nittany Lions’ State College campus that featured a heavy contingent of Penn State fans."

The Palestra in Philadelphia is 193 miles from Penn State's on-campus arena. Madison Square Garden is 38 miles from the RAC.

Let's not get flustered by the technicality of how the NCAA classifies the location of the game. It doesn't change the fact that Madison Square Garden is the greatest basketball venue on the planet with tens of thousands of Rutgers students and graduates living nearby.

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game.
I assume he's saying that Philly is much closer to PSU than Purdue, not that it's closer than Rutgers is to MSG.

Personally, I've thought for a while that the NCAA should be doing what Pomeroy does and have an additional "semi-home" and "Semi-away" designation...it's a way to pick up games that aren't a true home court, but also aren't at a neutral site (and no reason that it wouldn't be easy to bake into the NET to make things more accurate).

Seeding? Imagine we end up being the best 6 seed and end up in Des Moines instead of a 2-3 hour drive up to Albany as a 5 seed because of this.

It's an absurd decision that is inconsistent with similar games all over the country this season.
Theoretically, you'd be more likely to get a good location as the best 6 seed than as the worst 5 seed... though at that point, things like bracketing principals (with the number of B1G teams we'll see) and the desire to balance the regions also would play a big role.

Theoretically, you'd be more likely to get a good location as the best 6 seed than as the worst 5 seed... though at that point, things like bracketing principals (with the number of B1G teams we'll see) and the desire to balance the regions also would play a big role.
Going off on a tangent now but the best teams are all in the Midwest/south+UCLA/Zona.

Albany will be left for the 4 and 5 seeds. Unless UConn goes on a run and gets to 3 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT