ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA now considering MSG a HOME game

A week ago this thread was full of complaints about playing on a neutral court. Now all the sudden neutral court matters……..sigh.

Again, let’s just win. We wanna prove we’re a top 25 team? We shouldn’t have an issue winning wherever we play. If this is an issue….we ain’t too 25
If RU wins on a neutral court they should get credit for a win on a neutral court.

Oh good lord not another. Will of course attend but doesn’t change that giving away home court advantage is really stupid. People should vent so it doesn’t happen again. No good and only bad can come from this game. And if we have to expend any extra effort more than at the RAC, could really come back and hurt us at Indy and Illinois back to back. We gave away home court and now we are receiving no advantage. It’s not even considered a neutral court. Nobody can justify this game and it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Oh good lord not another. Will of course attend but doesn’t change that giving away home court advantage is really stupid. People should vent so it doesn’t happen again. No good and only bad can come from this game. And if we have to expend any extra effort more than at the RAC, could really come back and hurt us at Indy and Illinois back to back. We gave away home court and now we are receiving no advantage. It’s not even considered a neutral court. Nobody can justify this game and it just keeps getting worse and worse.
Well there is some benefit to building a presence in NY but it doesn’t justify this.

Everyone is acting like this game is MAKE or BREAK where we’re playing in the Tourny. It won’t be. Relax.

There’s no vendetta against us…we’ll be placed where we’re deserved come March.
Damn right brother. No need to poop pants. Next year RU can reassess if necessary. No big thang.

Sorry. We are a quad 1 lots for them.
Really what kind of post is that?
I’m not saying they are going to win - someone said the switch to an away game for MSU helped them - but it’s a quad 1 game for them regardless

We should be able to bring 15K fans but even if we have 8-10K it will still but fun, loud and a great atmosphere.

Will you be there or just participating in the game thread whining about attendance?
You are barking up the wrong tree and if you were a tiny bit smart you wouldn't ask that dumb question unless you knew the answer. I've been a season ticket holder since the RAC opened and 99% of the time I travel hours both ways to attend the games. Bet you wouln't do likewise. I don't need to entertain your question but it's a breeze for me to get to this game since I own an apartment in the city and will be there this weekend but I still know this game sucks and we have 2 away games after where are underdogs.
It's not worth the risk.

But that is reality. Now three games away from the RAC in a row making winning far more difficult. Therein lies the significant problem.
If we are as good as I think we are, we will need to find a way to win away from home anyway. Good teams find a way and we will.

Winning has the same effect.
Except winning doesn’t have the same effect.

Michigan State is 47 in the NET. Even if we win this game, it would now be a Quad 2 win instead of a Quad 1 win.

I’ve very much been of the “I don’t really care, going to a game at the Garden should be fun” opinion up until now, but this is bullshit.

You are barking up the wrong tree and if you were a tiny bit smart you wouldn't ask that dumb question unless you knew the answer. I've been a season ticket holder since the RAC opened and 99% of the time I travel hours both ways to attend the games. Bet you wouln't do likewise. I don't need to entertain your question but it's a breeze for me to get to this game since I own an apartment in the city and will be there this weekend but I still know this game sucks and we have 2 away games after where are underdogs.
It's not worth the risk.

Cool story. Didn’t need your personal background.

Was a yes or no question.

See you there :)

There are too many what-ifs and important games left in both RU and MSU’s seasons for me to get worked up about this decision. On the plus side our MSG game next year will/should count as an away game.

Question - is the decision a change in policy or is it just that when RU plays there in conference play it will always be considered a home game now because of our proximity?

If the latter - we should never play a conference game there again. If next time we go there it counts as a road game that’s different, but I doubt that will be the case. The former is garbage and unfair to Rutgers.

Reactions: fluoxetine
There are too many what-ifs and important games left in both RU and MSU’s seasons for me to get worked up about this decision. On the plus side our MSG game next year will/should count as an away game.
No, it would be at best a neutral (like Michigan was in 2020). Clarification from the NCAA is needed on this before we get screwed again in the future.

Kids and team love it….so that’s all that matters!
And you know that how?

Win or lose it slightly hurts our NET. Hobbs should be giving the Big Ten hell. The Big Ten should be making our appeal to the NCAA. If this will forever be a home game we should not play there.

This is exactly my point. Winning will take care of itself. Thank you!
Hurts the NET win or lose.
Do Rutgers students get free admission?
Free bus ride to the Garden?
What is Hobbs saying? We have been screwed.
Pike said all the "correct: things.
But even if Hobbs doesn't point out the screw job publicly he should be hating on the Big Ten if the league isn't appealing to the NCAA. Also letting the Big Ten know this will never happen again, until every other Big Ten team has to give up a true home game for bullshit like this.

Reactions: Scarlet83
The only way should ever agree to continue to play at MSG is if every time we give up a home game to play there (and it still counts as a home game for us), we also get to be a traveling road team playing at a neutral site stadium for a game that will count for us as a true road game. That’s how it should work. Our home and home season with Michigan includes one game at MSG and one game in Detroit or wherever - closer to them. Both teams are “home” when closer to their home court. That would be fine. This is BS.

While I'm of the camp of still wanting to play in MSG but also thinking it's BS that this will now be a "home" game, everyone seems to be missing one thing going forward...

As mentioned in an article by Jerry Carino yesterday, this game marks the end of a second 3 year contract with MSG, with nothing signed yet for the future. In short, who knows if "Super Saturday" will ever happen again.

While I'm of the camp of still wanting to play in MSG but also thinking it's BS that this will now be a "home" game, everyone seems to be missing one thing going forward...

As mentioned in an article by Jerry Carino yesterday, this game marks the end of a second 3 year contract with MSG, with nothing signed yet for the future. In short, who knows if "Super Saturday" will ever happen again.
What sucks is that based on this precedent, any game at MSG will be a home game for us now, even non-conference games. Because of the semantics that Piscataway is in the "NY Metro Area".

But Alabama can travel an hour to Birmingham to play Gonzaga and it's neutral because technically Tuscaloosa is just outside the Birmingham metro area.

What sucks is that based on this precedent, any game at MSG will be a home game for us now, even non-conference games. Because of the semantics that Piscataway is in the "NY Metro Area".
We could play Seton Hall there..

Or anyone else from the metro area I guess. Or a perpetual home/home series with SJU?

Reactions: GORU2014
Will this have a big impact on their tournament resume? Most likely not. But it is a decision that goes against what is written in the NCAA guidelines on how to assign a game as neutral or home:

Since the determination of home/away and neutral site games can sometimes be a complicated issue, a school can appeal to the NCAA for exceptions to the rule

Example:
Butler’s men’s basketball team is playing Indiana at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. While it may look like a home game for Butler since the arena and the team are located in Indianapolis, Indiana contracted the game with Butler, rented the arena and the Big Ten conference assigned the game officials. However, the game is not part of either team’s season ticket package, but both teams included the game an option with the season tickets for priority purchasing. In this case, the game will be designated as a neutral site game.

A wrong decision that negatively impacts a team's tournament resume, no matter how small, should be appealed and changed. All Hobbs needs to do is remind the NCAA of their example of a neutral site game and this should get changed without much of a fight. Even if it is after the game is played.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I like Rutgers playing a game in MSG, no matter how the NCAA classifies it.

Still, Rutgers sports officials fumbled the ball by not confirming this game as a neutral court contest. The NCAA's handbook on these matters, posted by mikemarc1 in another thread, shows ambiguity on home/away/neutral. For example, the RAC is not in the same US Census metropolitan division as MSG, though the RAC fits into the US Census's definition of the New York metropolitan area. Rutgers people should have clarified MSG as neutral back when tomorrow's game was being organized.

The same handbook describes how attendance should be calculated. Schools, including Rutgers, routinely make up laughably fake attendance figures with no consequences. The NCAA handbook is an unenforced document. Pat and team should have made sure this game was classified as neutral.

Reactions: PaulTaylor12
people are so stupid. "forget it, it's done and over with. You cant change it." no shit we cant change it!
but this is message board.
why dont you just forget the whole season and stop watching any games or be on this message board, since you cant do anything about it!

reality is this could have been Q1 win. Now it is Q2, which is HUGE difference when getting seeded

This.

If this is a home game Rutgers should essentially have control of everything.

Our logo should be on the court, we shouldn’t see any MSU fans or cheerleaders on the big screen, PA guy should be the guy at the RAC and announcements, advertising etc. should be about Rutgers.

You know that won’t happen. We will be at the fingertips of good olde MSG and it will feel like a neutral site game when it comes to all of the above.

I feel like it was this way for Michigan last time so maybe it will. Remember when we booed the baby? And all the video promos during timeouts were UM themed

We have no presence in NY. We need to presence in NY. We are NJs team. MSG is a dump above a train station.
This isn’t the right answer exactly on how to spin it. We have plenty of “presence” potential for football where we are the only team within many hours of NYC. We don’t want to discount that.

For basketball though, the reality is there are so many local teams - the notion that we represent metro NY is just silly. Starting with the fact that SJU has called MSG a home venue for years including when we played in a conference with them.

Thank You! Crickets from many on here. Fluxotine’s head is going to explode that he’s wrong and that the last minute giving away of the home court advantage was an unnecessary and bad idea. B1G and NCAA hose RU again!! Truth hurts!

We should never agree to such a crappy idea again. And the fans who were complaining were not whining but actually 100 % correct!

And that’s what message boards are for!!!
IMO, Either the B1G fixes this garbage, or we don’t do MSG anymore.

Now let’s beat the crap out of MSU!

Let’s just win. Should totally be an RU home atmosphere if we truly think we’re a top 25 team in the largest market in the country.

Our fanbase complains sooooooo much.
There are legitimate complaints, and there are whiney illegitimate complaints.

This one is completely legitimate. Grow a pair!

Last edited:
And you know that how?

Win or lose it slightly hurts our NET. Hobbs should be giving the Big Ten hell. The Big Ten should be making our appeal to the NCAA. If this will forever be a home game we should not play there.

Did u see the press conference earlier this week.when they were asked about it? That’s how

Reactions: G- RUnit
I haven't read this thread. But if Msu played RU in Detroit at the Palace it would 100% be a home game for Msu and likely close to a sellout. The only difference is MSU has a 40 year history of winning which means a larger following. We have only had a good 4 year run and 1 tourney win which is why there wont be 20k RU fans.......

Reactions: RutgersNCAA2023
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT