ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA now considering MSG a HOME game

What sucks is that based on this precedent, any game at MSG will be a home game for us now, even non-conference games. Because of the semantics that Piscataway is in the "NY Metro Area".

But Alabama can travel an hour to Birmingham to play Gonzaga and it's neutral because technically Tuscaloosa is just outside the Birmingham metro area.
which means if its the Jimmie V classic now it counts as a home game even as we will not control tickets a lick

I haven't read this thread. But if Msu played RU in Detroit at the Palace it would 100% be a home game for Msu and likely close to a sellout. The only difference is MSU has a 40 year history of winning which means a larger following. We have only had a good 4 year run and 1 tourney win which is why there wont be 20k RU fans.......
That’s fine. I don’t think anyone would be complaining if our road game was played there and theirs played at MSG. But the reality is we played them on their home campus stomping grounds. Not in Detriot. The easy solution for the BIG from Hobbs is - we only play at MSG under those conditions. And every team should be giving up a home game periodically.

Per Brian Fonseca. What a complete crock. We should now announce to the Big Ten that they can shove this home game and we're moving it to Piscataway. Penn State chose to play a home game at the Palestra because their cavernous home arena sucks and there are more recruits and eyeballs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania than in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. Not comparable at all.

Mr. TV assures us this was Hobbs doing not the Big 10. If so, it was a very bad decision by our AD. It is now a must win game. Hopefully the team is up to the task of bailing out Pat Hobbs!

If a "home" game at MSG prevents us from placement in the East Regional, this decision also potentially strips a chance at playing a 2nd weekend tournament game in our own backyard.

This shouldn’t prevent us from playing in the east . A few years back nova played I think 3 home games in Philly and still were seeded in the east with that as the host arena. . I believe there is cap of games. . 1 game shouldn’t exceed the cap.

Reactions: GORU2014
This shouldn’t prevent us from playing in the east . A few years back nova played I think 3 home games in Philly and still were seeded in the east with that as the host arena. . I believe there is cap of games. . 1 game shouldn’t exceed the cap.
Yeah, this won't hurt us when it comes to that. I think the cap you speak of is 3 games.

Mr. TV assures us this was Hobbs doing not the Big 10. If so, it was a very bad decision by our AD. It is now a must win game. Hopefully the team is up to the task of bailing out Pat Hobbs!

I don't see how that's possible when it's a game that was scheduled for 2021 as the last Big Ten Super Saturday game that's contracted between Fox and the B1G. Did they void the last game of the contract after COVID but allow Rutgers to use the name for a game Rutgers put together?

That’s fine. I don’t think anyone would be complaining if our road game was played there and theirs played at MSG. But the reality is we played them on their home campus stomping grounds. Not in Detriot. The easy solution for the BIG from Hobbs is - we only play at MSG under those conditions. And every team should be giving up a home game periodically.
Your missing the point. If we played them in Detroit it's likely still a great home court advantage. Msg not as much for us.

people are so stupid. "forget it, it's done and over with. You cant change it." no shit we cant change it!
but this is message board.
why dont you just forget the whole season and stop watching any games or be on this message board, since you cant do anything about it!

reality is this could have been Q1 win. Now it is Q2, which is HUGE difference when getting seeded
Exactly! I truly don’t understand fans who criticize the legitimate criticism.
Whining? It’s such a raw deal for Rutgers. It should never happen again. You have to start a groundswell somewhere.
We are likely going to have a monster recruiting class and may very well be quite good for some time. It’s time for the B1G and the NCAA to stop treating RU like the ugly step child. Deal with it.

Not only did we loose a significant home court advantage but now system is rigged so that we can’t get the appropriate net points. If we can’t discuss/argue/complain about this, what is the purpose of a message board? This is the precise issue we should be discussing!! Again this should never ever happen again.

I get the NYC fixation so play a non conference game at MSG. (As an aside and an argument for another day think the new Garden is just another generic arena, no more lower walk around concourse, no blue seats, less noisy. And it might be torn down in any event. That’s why I’m petrified of any changes/renovations other than more bathrooms to the RAC.)

B1G doesn’t make other teams jump through hoops, so to speak. They dont make Indiana and Purdue give up their respective home court advantage and play at the best pro arena I’ve ever been in in Indianapolis, they don’t make Northwestern play at the United Center, they don’t make Michigan or MSU play at the Palace. Could easily do this.

Finally, the advantages to favorite son Izzo must give one pause and are certainly message board worthy of discussion. Last two times at the RAC, 20+ and 30 + losses. He gets a 12:00 start time, least desirable start time for fan attendance, a week off and a week to prepare.

Meanwhile, RU now has three games away from home in 7 days.

This isn’t whining. This is stuff that must be addressed by the Athletic Dept.

Go RU! Beat MSU! See You at the Garden!

Last edited:
Were people against the game because it was considered a "home" game by the NCAA?

Didn't we all just find this out?
Shouldn’t that all be resolved when game was scheduled. It’s not like season tix were already distributed or that there are seemingly no plans for the students or that most RU fans had to go through ticketron rather than RU or that game was given least desirable starting time…. Oh wait that all happened…and now adversely effects the NET. Seems like tremendous advantage given to MSU and B1G and NCAA really sticking it to us. Hope never happens again and it shouldn’t.

I haven't read this thread. But if Msu played RU in Detroit at the Palace it would 100% be a home game for Msu and likely close to a sellout. The only difference is MSU has a 40 year history of winning which means a larger following. We have only had a good 4 year run and 1 tourney win which is why there wont be 20k RU fans.......
There would not be 20k people at an MSU game in Detroit that starts at noon in 20 degree weather for an MSU team with a 14-8 record as they have currently.

If Rutgers had Purdue’s record and the game was at 3 pm, there would be 15k+ Rutgers fans there

Reactions: G- RUnit
Exactly! I truly don’t understand fans who criticize the legitimate criticism.
Whining? It’s such a raw deal for Rutgers. It should never happen again. You have to start a groundswell somewhere.
We are likely going to have a monster recruiting class and may very well be quite good for some time. It’s time for the B1G and the NCAA to stop treating RU like the ugly step child. Deal with it.

Not only did we loose a significant home court advantage but now system is rigged so that we can’t get the appropriate net points. If we can’t discuss/argue/complain about this, what is the purpose of a message board? This is the precise issue we should be discussing!! Again this should never ever happen again.

I get the NYC fixation so play a non conference game at MSG. (As an aside and an argument for another day think the new Garden is just another generic arena, no more lower walk around concourse, no blue seats, less noisy. And it might be torn down in any event. That’s why I’m petrified of any changes/renovations other than more bathrooms to the RAC.)

B1G doesn’t make other teams jump through hoops, so to speak. They dont make Indiana and Purdue give up their respective home court advantage and play at the best pro arena I’ve ever been in in Indianapolis, they don’t make Northwestern play at the United Center, they don’t make Michigan or MSU play at the Palace. Could easily do this.

Finally, the advantages to favorite son Izzo must give one pause and are certainly message board worthy of discussion. Last two times at the RAC, 20+ and 30 + losses. He gets a 12:00 start time, least desirable start time for fan attendance, a week off and a week to prepare.

Meanwhile, RU now has three games away from home in 7 days.

This isn’t whining. This is stuff that must be addressed by the Athletic Dept.

Go RU! Beat MSU! See You at the Garden!
Address it by going to MSG and kicking their ass

Address it by going to MSG and kicking their ass
True.

More forward thinking so it doesn’t happen again.

And am a little worried now the amount of energy have to expend for three games away from home in 7 days. It’s a lot of travel in a week and another reason so unfair to RU. Did we really need a trip to the Garden now?

the bullshit argument i kept hearing esteemed posters talk about how great nyc is blah blah blah journalists msg history..yawn

WE PLAY IN THE GREATEST ARENA IN THE COUNTRY...NOTHING AT MSG CAN REPLACE THE ATMOSPHERE AT THE RAC

WE JUST GAVE AWAY OUR BIGGEST HOME GAME OF THE YEAR AND LIKLIEST BEST ATMOSPHERE

that is your bottom line

For the MSU game, if you can’t comprehend the difference between a Quad 1 and Quad 2 win, then I can’t help you.

HINT: The number 1 is better than the number 2.
Been doing my own bracketology. Very familiar w how it works. I just think Rutgers resume is really good and probably the best we've had in the Pikiell era that one designation doesn't change much.

I don’t think so. I think tournaments are different. That would be neutral.
They aren't really...it's under the same parameters as any other game away from a team's home floor where the NCAA has decide as to how to categorize it.

My prediction is that it ultimately lands as a neutral site game when it's said and done. The other Rutgers games at MSG weren't treated at home (Big Ten tourney in 2018, other "Super Saturday" game, etc), and I don't think this one will either.

They aren't really...it's under the same parameters as any other game away from a team's home floor where the NCAA has decide as to how to categorize it.

My prediction is that it ultimately lands as a neutral site game when it's said and done. The other Rutgers games at MSG weren't treated at home (Big Ten tourney in 2018, other "Super Saturday" game, etc), and I don't think this one will either.
I'm pretty sure the link that @mikemarc1 posted before differentiated between games like this (a conference game that is moved and presumably will still look like an RU home game in some respects) and a true third-party event (a tournament, assuming it's not a tournament hosted by Rutgers). I think the latter would almost certainly be considered a neutral site game based on those guidelines. I think this one honestly should be too, as the move is orchestrated at the behest of the conference, but it's more grey. If RU just decided to move a home game there on their own I would agree with calling it home.

I'm pretty sure the link that @mikemarc1 posted before differentiated between games like this (a conference game that is moved and presumably will still look like an RU home game in some respects) and a true third-party event (a tournament, assuming it's not a tournament hosted by Rutgers). I think the latter would almost certainly be considered a neutral site game based on those guidelines. I think this one honestly should be too, as the move is orchestrated at the behest of the conference, but it's more grey. If RU just decided to move a home game there on their own I would agree with calling it home.
You're correct...I was just looking at the St John's example, since they play several home games at MSG all season (and its obviously in their metro-area)...the NET did treat their Big East Tournament games as neutral site games the last two seasons.

The issue with the guidelines is that a game can check multiple "boxes", where it meets the criteria for a Home game, and also meets the criteria for a neutral games (and they don't really spell out a hierarchy for the determination). Posting the NCAA manual again for reference...

Last edited:
Reactions: fluoxetine
You're correct...I was just looking at the St John's example, since they play several home games at MSG all season (and its obviously in their metro-area)...the NET did treat their Big East Tournament games as neutral site games the last two seasons.

The issue with the guidelines is that a game can check multiple "boxes", where it meets the criteria for a Home game, and also meets the criteria for a neutral games (and they don't really spell out a hierarchy for the determination). Posting the NCAA manual again for reference...

Yeah the guidelines are weasely and seem designed to leave a lot of room for judgement.

Reactions: G- RUnit
Your missing the point. If we played them in Detroit it's likely still a great home court advantage. Msg not as much for us.
No I’m not. That’s like saying it’s not fair the RAC is a better home court advantage than what PSU has.

Home court advantage is what the fans make of it. MSG is 38 miles from us. This would be perfectly fine if it wasn’t only happening to us and one other school.

the bullshit argument i kept hearing esteemed posters talk about how great nyc is blah blah blah journalists msg history..yawn

WE PLAY IN THE GREATEST ARENA IN THE COUNTRY...NOTHING AT MSG CAN REPLACE THE ATMOSPHERE AT THE RAC

WE JUST GAVE AWAY OUR BIGGEST HOME GAME OF THE YEAR AND LIKLIEST BEST ATMOSPHERE

that is your bottom line
+10000000000

that is your bottom line

Yup - this. And even at that, nobody is saying we shouldn’t help the BIG out and agree to try to work out fair arrangements to play there and showcase NYC for the conference. It just needs to be tit for tat.

In a vacuum the computers reflect that we played a home and home against Michigan State where they never had to play on our home floor and we played on theirs.

Since the NCAA is going to treat every game we play there as “home”, it’s no longer acceptable to simply rotate who gives up a game on their home floor. Why should our SOS have to always be worse than everyone else’s? No - the only fair solution now would be for us to also get the same year benefit of playing one of our other road conference games at a neutral venue too (and the computers treat that one as road to offset the disadvantage to our SOS).

Some will argue that it’s still not fair since the RAC has a better home court advantage than other places but I think that’s nit picking.

There are about 4 babies whining incessantly about this game. I mean for months now it's nonstop crying. It's game day. Stop your crying.

Rutgers nation is going to take over the garden today. If you go on ticketmaster they've kept opening more sections up in the upper bowl. Not a lot of tickets left.

We will make a statement today with our fans and our team. And it will look great on TV. We win this game today in front of a raucous Rutgers crowd. Can't wait to experience a big win at MSG amongst my Rutgers fan family!

There are about 4 babies whining incessantly about this game. I mean for months now it's nonstop crying. It's game day. Stop your crying.

Rutgers nation is going to take over the garden today. If you go on ticketmaster they've kept opening more sections up in the upper bowl. Not a lot of tickets left.

We will make a statement today with our fans and our team. And it will look great on TV. We win this game today in front of a raucous Rutgers crowd. Can't wait to experience a big win at MSG amongst my Rutgers fan family!
This thread has nothing to do with those complaints from months ago. Most of us were fine with the terms of the game until a few days ago because they are unfair to Rutgers on a national scale.

UNC and company get to rack up a boat load of “neutral” Greensboro wins in March. I’m sure there will be a ton of offsetting Pitt or Syracuse fans at those games (sarcasm). We deserve an explanation for why are we getting different treatment.

The bottom line is the Big 10 and Hobbs should have cleared this up waaaaaay before yesterday
I mean pretty sure that everyone agrees with this

All I will say is that Pat is super competent...so there must be some complexities here none of us know about

Willing to give Pat/RU a pass and assume that RU got fkd here...that is the likely answer

I mean pretty sure that everyone agrees with this

All I will say is that Pat is super competent...so there must be some complexities here none of us know about

Willing to give Pat/RU a pass and assume that RU got fkd here...that is the likely answer
Imo the most likely situation is that both RU and the conference assumed this would be neutral (because it obviously should be) and we blindsided by this. I guess you can say they should’ve confirmed it.. but given that all of these in the past were counted as neutral it’s pretty easy to see why they wouldn’t have been super proactive about it. I blame the NCAA 99.9% for this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT