ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA soccer season proposal

ajwsc1987

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2013
Was watching the MSU Maryland game on BTN and saw the Maryland coach and announcers discussing a new format for college soccer season. Can’t recall the exact details but the season would be two semesters.

Tried googling it to find out more info but not much new info.

Apparently the B1G and ACC are in support and there’s a vote this April.

Thoughts?

Would be a good thing in my opinion. If you look at the pros they do not play that many games in such a compressed time frame. It's not good for the players. Spreading the season out allows the kids to play more in line with how professionals play. Hopefully this will filter down.

As it is, youth athletes play way too much soccer and it's not good. The Maryland coach has some fascinating thoughts on how he recruits players. For example he said when he goes to a showcase he will only watch a kids first game. Maybe the next game under the right circumstances. After that he said he cannot figure out if the kid is good because he's good or because he is dominating players who were just worn out from playing too many games. It's hard to tell. He was much more articulate on the specific topic and there are obviously many more factors but hopefully I am conveying the key point.

Plus I heard another coach say that spreading the sport out over two semesters will allow for more interaction with the coaching staff. I am in favor of that as well.

Overall this seems like a no-brainer decision but I would imagine the logistics are coming into play here since so many schools have to integrate field usage between soccer, lacross and other things. That's probably one of the big hold ups here.

Would be a good thing in my opinion. If you look at the pros they do not play that many games in such a compressed time frame. It's not good for the players. Spreading the season out allows the kids to play more in line with how professionals play. Hopefully this will filter down.

As it is, youth athletes play way too much soccer and it's not good. The Maryland coach has some fascinating thoughts on how he recruits players. For example he said when he goes to a showcase he will only watch a kids first game. Maybe the next game under the right circumstances. After that he said he cannot figure out if the kid is good because he's good or because he is dominating players who were just worn out from playing too many games. It's hard to tell. He was much more articulate on the specific topic and there are obviously many more factors but hopefully I am conveying the key point.

Plus I heard another coach say that spreading the sport out over two semesters will allow for more interaction with the coaching staff. I am in favor of that as well.

Overall this seems like a no-brainer decision but I would imagine the logistics are coming into play here since so many schools have to integrate field usage between soccer, lacross and other things. That's probably one of the big hold ups here.
Good points ... also smaller schools rely on multi-sport athletes to field teams.

Reactions: SirScarlet

Interesting points. Maybe it will allow better development of players too for the next level?

Reactions: SirScarlet
The only thing about the rest isn't really true because these kids are practicing even in the spring so it's not like they are resting during the off semester as my daugter plays lacrosse in college and they practice in the fall every day even though its a spring sport so I don't really think the kids will be resting more. I do agree about the youth level not just in soccer but in all sports the kids are playing one sport way to much and think the old days when most of us who payed sports played a different sport in each season with out a travel or club season is much better for your body

There will be weather dynamics too that come into play.

For the fall you have Sept, Oct and the 1st half of Nov with decent shorts soccer weather.

For spring you may not have decent enough outdoor weather until late March. That may force games into the bubble on artificial turf.

I guess you can have invitationals in the cold weather months on neutral site warm weather locations

This proposal can also give a recruiting advantage to schools in the South and West where they don't get cold weather for Dec, Feb, and Mar games. Kinda like baseball

For perspective: the Red Bulls 1st game in 2019 for the regular season was Mar 18 and the playoffs go into November. MLS is off Dec, Jan, Feb, and part of Mar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT