ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Finals

Once again.... the team with the best guard play wins. You need guards that can create or guards that shoot or guards that can dribble penetrate.

it was Duke's defense in the end that won the game AND Wisconsin's inability to defend the high screen.

I thought that Wisconsin did not go enough to Kaminsky after they went up by 9 at 48-39. They often settled for jumpers instead of trying to let Frank take it hard to the basket. Missing 4 foul shots in the first half also cost Wisconsin. Koenig and Jackson both made some mistakes by going one on one a few times when they should have gotten a better shot for their team.

Duke made the shots they needed to, but those missed calls left a sour taste in my mouth. I don't think people really grasp just how big a factor momentum is with these kids. Most big upsets and even games between two pretty even teams are decided by momentum. Knowing that you got screwed on a call and then having the other team make a shot absolutely kills you.

Also thought Bo Ryan did a horrible coaching job down the stretch. Left two timeouts uncalled when your team needs quick set plays to extend the game. I'm sure his completely gassed players wouldn't have minded the breather as well.

Also would have helped Wisconsin if the refs didn't swallow their whistles when Wisky was on offense.

Originally posted by MGSA99:
Also would have helped Wisconsin if the refs didn't swallow their whistles when Wisky was on offense.
Yeah the shot Okafor blocked really looked like his 5th foul.

Originally posted by ThisShouldBEz:

Originally posted by MGSA99:
Yeah the shot Okafor blocked really looked like his 5th foul.
But to be fair that 4th foul was not one. All ball on that one.

Originally posted by RU-Choppin-Ohio:

Once again.... the team with the best guard play wins. You need guards that can create or guards that shoot or guards that can dribble penetrate.
Yes what you saw in the latter part of half two was the difference between AA guards and ones that were local stars in Wisconsin. Good system players but not able to match up one on one against superior talents. And that guy Dekker was invisible for the most part. Especially considering the players he was matched up with most of the night were giving up several inches. Enough with the poor man's Kevin Durant nonsense that I was hearing Saturday night.

Fell asleep somewhere early in the 2nd half of the game. It was a very good game and didn't think it was the usual 8 on 5 of the refs against Duke up through where I was watching it. I thought Coach K did a good job managing the foul trouble of some of his guys.

Reading things this morning though, it sounds like the refs kicked it up a notch later in the game in the typical Duke fashion. Sounds like Bo Ryan wasn't too happy with the refs and all the contact on his guys and there was a controversial call in Duke's favor.

Wisconsin O disappeared for too long at the end of the game, missing layups and settling for outside shots when Okafor was on the bench. Aside from the bad calls, you have to hand it to the 2 Duke freshman, stepped up big time in the 2nd half.

Wisky suffered two blown possession calls by the refs late...huge factor at that point but what did them in was Dukes response when they went up 48-39. Back to back 3 point plays swung all the momentum their way in the snap of the fingers. Before that Wisky was getting everything they wanted on offense, after that they started settling for too many outside shots and too much dribbling far away from the basket. Credit Duke for finally having a team that could play defense. It does suck they won though

It's amazing that Wisconsin is a better team without Traevon Jackson. Seemed like everytime the ball was in his hands bad things happened. defensively he isn't as good as his teammates.

3 NBA stocks
Kaminsky---up
Okafor--down, couldn't finish multiple times with a 7 footer present
Dekker--down, after a spectacular 3 minutes where he slayed the wildcats he had a down day

Nigel Hayes is a GREAT college player, not sure yet about NBA

Dekker is a Top 15 pick IMO-----NBA guys aren't going to forget about his performance against Arizona and Kentucky

Has ball skills and the kind of athleticism you need to defend in the NBA.

Winslow too----struggled last night offensively but had a sensational tournament at both ends of the floor. He could be a lottery pick.

No skin in the game as I liked both teams and I agree that Winslow was on the line. Also believe he touched it last on the OOB loose ball but not certain.

But not calling Kaminsky for a flagrant when he grabbed Okafor with both arms cost Duke a possession too.

As to block vs charge I haven't figured out what that call is yet. Wisconsin was a step slow all night and consistently got taken off the dribble by the Duke backcourt.

Nine point lead with under 10 to play and you have the POY------you have to win that game.

At the end of the day in the last 5 minutes the Duke freshmen stepped up and the Wisconsin seniors didn't. I think the UK game took alot out of them physically and emotionally and playing the second game wasn't much help either. Between press conferences and getting together with friends and family to celebrate I doubt those kids got to bed before 3 AM.

The X factor in the game was Grayson Allen----he won the game for Duke IMO.

Originally posted by TDIrish1:
"Wisconsin was a step slow all night and consistently got taken off the dribble by the Duke backcourt."
Yep.
And I'm still waiting for Dekker to enter the game.
I still can't believe Wisconsin lost to Etou, Okoro, and co.
This post was edited on 4/7 10:53 AM by Kbee3

Duke won with 4 freshmen on the court including a bench player who led the team back from a 9 point deficit.Duke won with poise and players stepping up under extreme pressure which is to be expected from a elite team.Guard play was the difference and Wisconsin failed to get enough touches for Kaminsky down the stretch of the game.

The Final Four followed script with three number 1 seeds and two played for the championship.

ADVERTISEMENT