ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska HC Situation

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
When Nebraska hired Riley to be its HC, I thought it was an odd choice - which reading the Nebbie boards, it appears they don't care for him too much.

Given their AD recently gave Riley an extension - yet yesterday was very angry and frustrated (and rightfully so) - it will be very interesting to see how they manage this situation.

Given Nebraska's donor base etc - presuming Nebraska under-performs this year - which I expect them to do - they need to go out and get a Les Miles or Chip Kelly - to bring Nebraska football back to prominence (of course this can wait until after this season...:) - for which they can certainly afford to do.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I think just about everybody thought it was a wierd hire. Regardless, they're loaded. They don't need B1G money to make an appropriate hire.

They should go out and hire Mike Leach. Score a bunch of points, and never have a dull press conference.
Another outside the box hire would be David Cutcliff. Both of these guys have won with lesser budgets and lesser recruits. Of course both may find that culture of Nebraska football not to their liking.
Leach protege Holgy could be third wild choice.

The extension means nothing, they will have no problem breaking it and paying the buyout

They should go out and hire Mike Leach. Score a bunch of points, and never have a dull press conference.
Another outside the box hire would be David Cutcliff. Both of these guys have won with lesser budgets and lesser recruits. Of course both may find that culture of Nebraska football not to their liking.

Don't think they would go the Mike Leach way after Pelini.

Would have loved it if we hired Mike Leach.

Reactions: sherepower
What, winning is important at RU ? Ha !
He got a bad rap at TTU.
He's brutally honest and is not afraid to call out his players.
Thought we would have had a shot because he loves Key West and goes there a lot. Flights from NJ are a lot closer than the Pacific Northwest.
He took WSU from dregs to 9 wins last season and already has 3 this season.

Scott Fost will be next coach at Nebraska. Just a question of when.
I intentionally did not include Frost in my OP. Though he may very well be the next HC - and certainly the fans' favorite - if I'm Nebraska, I'd go the proven route with Miles or Kelly. - who both can recruit very well and bring the athletes and / or the system needed to elevate their program.

I intentionally did not include Frost in my OP. Though he may very well be the next HC - and certainly the fans' favorite - if I'm Nebraska, I'd go the proven route with Miles or Kelly. - who both can recruit very well and bring the athletes and / or the system needed to elevate their program.
Miles recruited at LSU. Not hard to do with homegrown talent. He also made some super questionable decisions every year. Kelly will have better options.

When Nebraska hired Riley to be its HC, I thought it was an odd choice - which reading the Nebbie boards, it appears they don't care for him too much.

Given their AD recently gave Riley an extension - yet yesterday was very angry and frustrated (and rightfully so) - it will be very interesting to see how they manage this situation.

Given Nebraska's donor base etc - presuming Nebraska under-performs this year - which I expect them to do - they need to go out and get a Les Miles or Chip Kelly - to bring Nebraska football back to prominence (of course this can wait until after this season...:) - for which they can certainly afford to do.
AD is upset because he might be fired before riley . if he is not he will be after riley is fired

If you can fit in Lubbock, you can fit in Lincoln. Question is, did he? But some programs require the right fit more than anything else. Nebraska doesn't need any wild-eyed time bombs to succeed.

Who is the OC if you are hiring Miles? Big complaint against him was that he ran an "outdated" offense.

Miles couldnt get the job at Purdue. He's not getting hired at Nebraska.

Some of you need to know that there are a lot better coaching candidates than retreads just because you have heard of them. I know it sounds rude. Deal with it.

Nebraska will hire Chip Kelly if they make a move IMO. I think they should hire Les Miles. Who ever they hire, he will be an offense spread guy. So Schiano ain't going there.

Or Norries Wilson.

Reactions: cicero grimes
On the Husker board Kelly and Frost appear to be the favorites. Conspiracy theory seems to be the AD gave the extension to make it harder to fire the AD as they are still paying off the BP contract.

If they lose to us, then he will be super fired, he may not even make it to the end of the season.

Heck, if Nebraska loses to NIU & Rutgers at home in back to back weeks, that 55 year sellout streak is in jeopardy when Northwestern returns their allotment

Heck, if Nebraska loses to NIU & Rutgers at home in back to back weeks, that 55 year sellout streak is in jeopardy when Northwestern returns their allotment

All of the visiting teams allotments that are returned are already sold so it won't have any affect. The 2017 season is sold out so regardless of what happens on the field even if there are some no shows the tickets have all been sold.

Also, Northwestern uses their allotment(they have to date). It's a quick easy trip from Chicago. Purdue and RU are the only 2 conference schools that have returned part of their allotment.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
All of the visiting teams allotments that are returned are already sold so it won't have any affect. The 2017 season is sold out so regardless of what happens on the field even if there are some no shows the tickets have all been sold.

Also, Northwestern uses their allotment(they have to date). It's a quick easy trip from Chicago. Purdue and RU are the only 2 conference schools that have returned part of their allotment.
Husker, in your opinion, why has the team struggled so much this season? It seemed most everyone was pretty high on the new qb coming into the year.

ADVERTISEMENT