ADVERTISEMENT

Need advice on taking train to MSG

So if I get my son on College Ave campus do I just go to the station right down the street and take it to Penn Station in NYC? Have never taken the train before so it is a new experience. Thanks
Round trip from NB to NYC Penn Station. There will be many fellow fans waiting on the platform with you.

Reactions: psujejr
Yep it’s the same train in and out. Buy a round trip ticket if you can, otherwise 2 one way tickets. The one ways work both ways so don’t worry about flipping the origin and destination. You pick New Brunswick, and New York Penn. east on the NJ transit phone app, otherwise at the automatic ticket stations on the platform. Going into NYC is you have to walk through the tunnel to the other side of the tracks from the bookstore

Just make sure you get on the correct side of the tracks. Under bridge.
Indeed. Northbound, otherwise you'll be heading to Trenton.

Seems obvious but just follow the throngs of others wearing red. OP's son (who probably knows what he's doing and OP just needs to follow the young one's lead) like most Rutgers students gain greater street sense as part of their college experience.
"Dad, we're not in State College anymore"

Just make sure you get on the correct side of the tracks. Under bridge.
This is key. Don’t try to take a shortcut upstairs by the bookstore. If you go straight to the platform without going under the bridge at street level, there’s no way across. You want to go into the actual train station to get to the Northbound side.

Other than that, it’s as easy as can be. Check the NJTransit schedules online or on their app, some trains are express and can save you 10-15 minutes.

Also, if you have time buy paper tickets at the station instead of using the app. If they don’t scan/punch them you can save them for future use (in the app, once you activate they expire soon after).

If I was taking the train, it would be no later than whatever the early 9 am window train time is on Saturday. But since I live down the street from a good bus connection, I may do that.

If I was taking the train, it would be no later than whatever the early 9 am window train time is on Saturday. But since I live down the street from a good bus connection, I may do that.
1/2 price fare on NJ Transit for those age 62 and older

great advice. What time is everyone planning on getting the train?
If you’re not drinking (not sure how old your son is), take the 9:48. Shorter time on the train and you can grab a slice at NY Pizza Suprema with plenty of time to get into the arena. You could also do the 9:29 to be safe. Otherwise, there will probably be a lot of Rutgers people at Stout and the 2 bars next to it, so you could go earlier.

If you’re not drinking (not sure how old your son is), take the 9:48. Shorter time on the train and you can grab a slice at NY Pizza Suprema with plenty of time to get into the arena. You could also do the 9:29 to be safe. Otherwise, there will probably be a lot of Rutgers people at Stout and the 2 bars next to it, so you could go earlier.
Sadly that used to be my favorite pizza joint in the world. 99c a slice and giant, delicious slices I could literally eat a pie in there. Never less than 3

Then they got famous on Facebook (on “Now This” stupid page) and now the line is down the block. I tried going there once even after the giant line, about 6 months ago, and asked the guy how much for a cheese slice. $4 dollars. I turned and walked out and as I was leaving he yelled “$3 dollars !” And I just kept walking. Haven’t been back

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Sadly that used to be my favorite pizza joint in the world. 99c a slice and giant, delicious slices I could literally eat a pie in there. Never less than 3

Then they got famous on Facebook (on “Now This” stupid page) and now the line is down the block. I tried going there once even after the giant line, about 6 months ago, and asked the guy how much for a cheese slice. $4 dollars. I turned and walked out and as I was leaving he yelled “$3 dollars !” And I just kept walking. Haven’t been back
Morning would probably be okay. Usually any time within 30 minutes before/after an MSG event is a zoo though.

Surprised it was only $4 TBH. Some of the specialty slices are over $7. Definitely a once in a long while place now but still delicious.

great advice. What time is everyone planning on getting the train?
Download the NJ Transit App and buy your train tickets in advance. Cuts down on any possible hassles of waiting in line at the station or using a machine to buy a ticket. Maybe the rules have changed again, but you may get charged extra if you board without a ticket and buy from the conductor. The app makes it easy, and no lost tickets to worry about, unless you lose your phone.

So if I get my son on College Ave campus do I just go to the station right down the street and take it to Penn Station in NYC? Have never taken the train before so it is a new experience. Thanks
One minor thing: it can be confusing, but the signs and tickets will say eastbound for trains heading northeast from NB to NYC, not northbound and westbound for trains going from NYC to NB (or Philly), not southbound. This has always irked me as I think of the northeast corridor as being a primarily north to south train line (like I95 is north/south), but they use east and west.

This is key. Don’t try to take a shortcut upstairs by the bookstore. If you go straight to the platform without going under the bridge at street level, there’s no way across. You want to go into the actual train station to get to the Northbound side.

Other than that, it’s as easy as can be. Check the NJTransit schedules online or on their app, some trains are express and can save you 10-15 minutes.

Also, if you have time buy paper tickets at the station instead of using the app. If they don’t scan/punch them you can save them for future use (in the app, once you activate they expire soon after).
Don't activate the mobile tickets until the ticket collector gets into your cabin.

ADVERTISEMENT