ADVERTISEMENT

Need Simpson On The Floor During Crunch Time

FIJI'83

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2008
I know he has a propensity to turn the ball over … but so does the rest of the roster that plays. The difference with Simpson is that he appears to be able to create his shot off the dribble and he is not to afraid to shoot the ball. Therefore, I think he needs to be on the floor at the end of a game together with PM. If this means sitting Spencer during crunch time so be it; he doesn't want the ball when the game is on the line anyway. And past performance dictates McConnell and Hyatt are not viable options for the closer. It will be painful at times but we must have a player like Simpson with a handle and shooting ability who wants to take the shot when the game is on the line. I believe over time this will bear fruit as Simpson develops into the role of the end of game Alpha we so desperately need since the departures of Baker and RHJ.

In a perfect world, or on a balanced team you bring him along slowly.....on this team he is needed RIGHT NOW. Agree that he needs to start playing major minutes including crunch time - this is going to be baptism by fire for him, but I don't see what possible other choice we have.

I think I agree. It’s risky but part of me was hoping we’d see him out there late. At the very least, long term it’s helpful for him to get those reps now.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
I know he has a propensity to turn the ball over … but so does the rest of the roster that plays. The difference with Simpson is that he appears to be able to create his shot off the dribble and he is not to afraid to shoot the ball. Therefore, I think he needs to be on the floor at the end of a game together with PM. If this means sitting Spencer during crunch time so be it; he doesn't want the ball when the game is on the line anyway. And past performance dictates McConnell and Hyatt are not viable options for the closer. It will be painful at times but we must have a player like Simpson with a handle and shooting ability who wants to take the shot when the game is on the line. I believe over time this will bear fruit as Simpson develops into the role of the end of game Alpha we so desperately need since the departures of Baker and RHJ.
Not so simple. Derek’s defense and being beat routinely by the other teams guards that penetrate and score or dish for a 3 is not something that you want to happen if you want to win close games. Yes , his ability to beat his man and pull up for a 15 foot jumper is also needed but it depends on what is going on with the rest of the guys. Last night he was sitting too long as Paul, Caleb and Cam got too many minutes (37,34,33)

Doesn’t matter how poorly Simpson played in the game yesterday. He needed to be on the floor at end game!
He has the fastest first step that I have seen in RU in a long time. Could have penetrated & dished for dunk. Or taken a game winning 3 attempt.
Could not have been any worse than the disarray we saw at end game.
I would have also preferred them to look for Hyatt to try a corner 3. For some reason he has trouble with end game bunnies, dating back to SEC final with LSU. I think he would be more relaxed taking a three, and he would have sunk it..

Doesn’t matter how poorly Simpson played in the game yesterday. He needed to be on the floor at end game!
He has the fastest first step that I have seen in RU in a long time. Could have penetrated & dished for dunk. Or taken a game winning 3 attempt.
Could not have been any worse than the disarray we saw at end game.
I would have also preferred them to look for Hyatt to try a corner 3. For some reason he has trouble with end game bunnies, dating back to SEC final with LSU. I think he would be more relaxed taking a three, and he would have sunk it..
Hyatt played well yesterday. Simpson is going to be a star. But he had -6 yesterday? Did we forget about Jacob Young as quickest RU player ?

Yesterday wasn’t the argument for Simpson game. He hurt us.

He didn’t hurt us anymore than all the other guys who got 20 + minutes.

Simpson only played 8 minutes. He made a few mistakes and looked a bit erratic out there but let’s not forget he didn’t look great the first half of Indiana and went on to carry the team in the 2nd half.

You answered your own question. He can’t be trusted with the ball right now. His minutes are going to shrink if that problem continues.

He didn’t hurt us anymore than all the other guys who got 20 + minutes.

Simpson only played 8 minutes. He made a few mistakes and looked a bit erratic out there but let’s not forget he didn’t look great the first half of Indiana and went on to carry the team in the 2nd half.
In those minutes he was -6 with two turnovers. I think he is a future star but yesterday wasn’t his time/day/chance when playing so poorly. It wasn’t just missed shots on good looks like Indiana in first half.

Last edited:
I would rather have seen Simpson turn the ball over actually trying to score or create a last shot, than the tentative confusion shown in the last minute - with multiple possessions!
yes, I did forget about JY, could have used him there - and in Miami last possession ,
take it right to the hole & slam. Simpson will be doing that soon too.

I'd rather go down in defeat with a player who has the cojones to want to take the last shot and the ability to get it off and make it, than that sloppy and tentative poop show we saw at the end of the game last night.

You don't get style points for close losses. A loss is a loss. If the team wants to be more productive on offense Simpson needs to run the show. You live with the mistakes and let him grow. The team will be better for it as the season progresses. Three veterans on the floor had a crack at a basket at the end and all missed. Let Simpson take a shot.

RU has 20 TOs with players in the program for at least three yrs and fans are worried about the player with the quickest feet, dribble penetration ability and the steel nuts to shoot the ball when needed making mistakes?

SHU just out toughed and out athleticed RU for the win in front of a sold old house. Simpson needs to be on the floor for most of the game.

GO RU

Its rather depressing that fans are asking for a freshmen with turnover problems to get more minutes because the upper classmen are performing so poorly on offense.

Yesterday wasn’t the argument for Simpson game. He hurt us.
So did Paul's passes to Cliff, Simpson's in air attempted pass...blah blah.

IMO we tried to make plays that don't have a high probability of success when you're playing a more athletic team.

We lost...gotta move on/ make up these two lost games.

MO

Simpson barely played and RU had 20 turnovers so if your argument to not put him in is turnovers you’re statistically mistaken
Exactly. Statistically SImpson averages only 1.4 TO’s a game. As context Caleb averages 3.4 and Mulcahy and Cliff average 2. Are they considered turnover prone? Such a joke some fans perceptions. If you’re looking for the heir to Ron/Geo to take the big end of game shot it’s Simpson freshman or not. How’d it work out with the upperclassman Sunday missing all those chip shots at the end? Not the first time either.

I confess that I haven't watched every game this year but from what I have seen to me it appears that Simpson is one of the best, if not the best, offensively talented player on the team. The kid has athletic and basketball skills. Down the stretch isn't it possible to play some kind of offense/defense platoon with him?
Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

Kid Simpson has talent but needs to grow into a star. Too raw to be trusted now

ADVERTISEMENT