ADVERTISEMENT

Need to paint MSG Scarlet on 2/4

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
Saturday 2/4 vs. Michigan State is a golden opportunity to show/prove we can be NYC’s college basketball team.

We’ve heard or talked about for years how Rutgers is or “could be” NYC’s team. I don’t think we’re NYC’s team - but filling up the Garden (and local bars/restaurants) with 15,000 Rutgers fans would go a long way to making our mark.

Tons of great tickets currently available for $48 each.

Need everyone to do their best to make it to this game (students, alumni, friends). Hopefully all the young alumni in Hoboken/JC make it over. If you live in the city you have no excuse not to go! Perfect opportunity to bring your whole family, group of friends and sit together (hard to do at the RAC!). I will be making it from South Jersey.

Need to make it a true home court advantage. These kids and Pikiell deserve our support!

Last edited:
It’s a Rutgers home game so no worry about a “Rutgers area” of the arena right?
Buy tickets anywhere?

The diehards on this board aren’t the issue. Even though I absolutely hate giving our home field advantage away in a magical year I suppose it could help tourney time.

Are we still allowed to say home field? Asking for a friend.

Will students get up for a 12:00 game in NYC. I suspect they will stagger to a bar. All those NYC, JC and Hoboken residents who talk a big game have no reason to not attend.

Reactions: PaulTaylor12
Noon. Knicks play that night. Seems it was done very last minute. Never informed when buying season tix. Many suspect Izzo didn’t want to play RU at RAC. Usual B1G shenanigans with regards to RU but no conspiracy. Nothing to see here… lol

• Sad
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Only reason the crowd will not be bigger is the noon tip. If game was at 3 or 5 would be highly attended. If it was 7 pm we might have sold out the place. Some kids and groups are not starting their Saturday at 9am to get to the game , which is unfortunate because it will be a tremendous game and atmosphere nonetheless.

Murphy should ask NJ Transit to add a special MSG express train from NB with a special student rate of $5 round trip and RU to get special ticket price for students.
And Jersey Mike’s to provide free subs. Make it an event.

Reactions: RUBlackout
My wife and I are coming in from Massachusetts to see the game, meet friends and spend the weekend in NYC. Question--is Manhattan /midtown safe to walk around? I will use cabs and not subways.....

Reactions: bac2therac
My wife and I are coming in from Massachusetts to see the game, meet friends and spend the weekend in NYC. Question--is Manhattan /midtown safe to walk around? I will use cabs and not subways.....
Unequivocally yes. I wouldn't walk around at 3 AM but you get the point.

Reactions: jonS

Of course.

You’ll be fine, just use common sense.

all good just use common sense , stay off the subway, don't wander around late while drunk , and cross your fingers the flame thrower guy is not in town

Ummm. The advanced ticket sales is already 11000 and it’s not because of sparty green

Operation 15000
Michigan State will have thousands of fans at the game. They have an alumni club in NYC with more than 2,000 members and obviously many other graduates and fans in the area. They're a national program with a rich history and rabid following.

I predicted 4,500 MSU fans and 8,000 Rutgers fans in another thread, with 2,000 corporate/neutral. The Spartans will have a substantial turnout.

Michigan State will have thousands of fans at the game. They have an alumni club in NYC with more than 2,000 members and obviously many other graduates and fans in the area. They're a national program with a rich history and rabid following.

I predicted 4,500 MSU fans and 8,000 Rutgers fans in another thread, with 2,000 corporate/neutral. The Spartans will have a substantial turnout.
Their fans will def do that annoying chant loudly

Go green
Go white

I haven't traveled to NYC since Covid and am wondering what the situation is in NYC. Just doing my homework.

Middle of the afternoon in midtown Manhattan is safe. As others have said, don’t walk around randomly in the middle of the night drunk and you’ll be fine. Subways are also fine. Yes, there have been incidents, but there’s way many times more car accidents in the Ny metro area and I don’t hear people say stop driving!

With all of that said, if you’re somebody that scares easily by seeing some hobos sitting on the sidewalk / hanging around MSG, then just be mentally prepared that you’ll likely see some of that. Quality of life type stuff has deteriorated in midtown area.

I live in the upper east side Manhattan and don’t often voluntarily go to midtown …lol…but it’s not because of safety concerns.

Reactions: scarlet night
Middle of the afternoon in midtown Manhattan is safe. As others have said, don’t walk around randomly in the middle of the night drunk and you’ll be fine. Subways are also fine. Yes, there have been incidents, but there’s way many times more car accidents in the Ny metro area and I don’t hear people say stop driving!

With all of that said, if you’re somebody that scares easily by seeing some hobos sitting on the sidewalk / hanging around MSG, then just be mentally prepared that you’ll likely see some of that. Quality of life type stuff has deteriorated in midtown area.

I live in the upper east side Manhattan and don’t often voluntarily go to midtown …lol…but it’s not because of safety concerns.
Thanks for responding. As I said elsewhere, I'm coming from Massachusetts and haven't been to NYC since pre-Covid.. I'm 71 , my wife is 65 and we don't stay out late or party at bars. Our hotel is at 26th and Park Ave S. and from past stays there is a nice relatively quiet and convenient location to some of our favorite restaurants like Gramercy Tavern.

Thanks for responding. As I said elsewhere, I'm coming from Massachusetts and haven't been to NYC since pre-Covid.. I'm 71 , my wife is 65 and we don't stay out late or party at bars. Our hotel is at 26th and Park Ave S. and from past stays there is a nice relatively quiet and convenient location to some of our favorite restaurants like Gramercy Tavern.

Yes, your hotel area is definitely much quieter/calmer on a relative basis. Enjoy your trip! Lot of bad press for nyc lately, some deserved, but there still is so much to do and see. Can’t beat Rutgers basketball at MSG and then an evening out on the town…

Reactions: jonS and red sail
ADVERTISEMENT