ADVERTISEMENT

Nephew Being Recruited by Rutgers & Clemson

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
One of my nephews is now running 5.15 mile average on 5K high school races. Has started hearing from Division 1 small colleges. Anyone know if that time is good enough for Rutgers? Do college coaches go to races or do they just look at numbers ? Do high school coaches reach out to colleges on the kids’ behalf? Thanks for any info.

prob need to run around 16 minutes or so. For the most part the track coaches will be looking at times. They may attend the state championships and meet of champions races.

He ran a 16:11 the other day.

That’s good. Depends on the course.

What year is he and what are his track times?

Been several years for my family but here’s what I know:

The distance coaches really look at 1600 and 3200 times in junior year. An impressive showing at Holmdel is also something that gets noticed.

For the 1600, sub-4:30 is good enough for many D1 programs. I think the Ivies look for sub-4:20.

The coaches will be very upfront about what times, grades and SATs they are lookin for.

He should take the initiative. My advice is to send emails to coaches with a good title that will get them to open it. Like include times and SAT score in the title.

Rutgers is more or less on par with good D3 and Patriot League programs. They get good runners but not the top 10-20 guys in the state.I don’t think there’s much in the way of scholarships.

Reactions: RUsundevil

The distance coaches really look at 1600 and 3200 times in junior year. An impressive showing at Holmdel is also something that gets noticed.

For the 1600, sub-4:30 is good enough for many D1 programs. I think the Ivies look for sub-4:20.

The coaches will be very upfront about what times, grades and SATs they are lookin for.

He should take the initiative. My advice is to send emails to coaches with a good title that will get them to open it. Like include times and SAT score in the title.

Rutgers is more or less on par with good D3 and Patriot League programs. They get good runners but not the top 10-20 guys in the state.I don’t think there’s much in the way of scholarships.
That's why I think we should drop mens and women's XC. We clearly don't take it seriously.

Thompson Park. He is a Senior and his Grades are very good while taking mostly AP and Honors courses. Pretty good SAT scores , but I don’t know the exact number. I am not biased of course, but he is a really good kid. Runs Cross-Country, Winter Track, and Spring Track. I still have a feeling he ends up down South, but you never know. A friend of an older nephew told me he thought my nephew would go to TCNJ and he went to UF.I would love to see Rutgers to at least reach out and show some interest.

Last edited:
On the SK.com site under Track and field, go to the "More" tab. There is a option for recruiting resources. There is an option to look at recruiting standards and walkon standards plus a questionnaire. Those standard will give you an idea of what the staff is looking for in terms of times.

On the SK.com site under Track and field, go to the "More" tab. There is a option for recruiting resources. There is an option to look at recruiting standards and walkon standards plus a questionnaire. Those standard will give you an idea of what the staff is looking for in terms of times.
That’s a good resource.

Schools tend to sound more stringent about their standards than they are in reality sometimes.

But, definitely, you have to call them if you want to get noticed with times in the slower end of the walk-on range.

So far the biggest name school that has asked him to walk on is Clemson, which is his favorite anyway, even if he decided not to run in college.

Thank you. I have sent this to his Mom and Dad. Appreciate it a lot. My fourth and last nephew. Would be cool to see one become a Scarlet Knight.

Last edited:
16:11 is not going to move the needle in terms of scholarship money unless he’s running sub 4:20. It also depends on what his training entails while running those times. Guys at CBA are training like college kids so not a lot of room for improvement. If he’s only running 40-50 miles a week while running those times that’s a different story. Since XC money counts against track money coaches want someone who is versatile and can run a few races in a track meet, so would be curious to know his mile and 2 mile times. Most schools have a way to contact the coaches via their website but most likely he may need to walk on and earn his way towards a scholarship since funds are limited at most schools

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I have no specific information but my guess scholarship money at Rutgers would be allocated to athletes the coaches think can score in the Big Ten conference championships. https://www.tfrrs.org/lists/3178/Big_Ten_Indoor_Performance_List/2021/i
This link has historical performances for Big Ten athletes by event. I would think an athlete would need to show potential for either top 20 or top 30 performances to get scholarship money.

Not concerned about scholarship money. He will get plenty for academics ( unless he goes to Rutgers of course since last year we got $27.12 from Trenton). He hasn’t even decided 100 percent if he wants to run in college. I would just like to see him have the option if he decides to.

Not concerned about scholarship money. He will get plenty for academics ( unless he goes to Rutgers of course since last year we got $27.12 from Trenton). He hasn’t even decided 100 percent if he wants to run in college. I would just like to see him have the option if he decides to.

I have minimal context in this specific situation but if he hasn’t decided by now that he wants to run in college, that’s a pretty big indicator about what he wants, in my experience.

Also, this is late in the recruiting cycle. By this point, there would typically have been a bunch of official/overnight visits and it’s time to pick a school.

Reactions: newell138
I have no specific information but my guess scholarship money at Rutgers would be allocated to athletes the coaches think can score in the Big Ten conference championships. https://www.tfrrs.org/lists/3178/Big_Ten_Indoor_Performance_List/2021/i
This link has historical performances for Big Ten athletes by event. I would think an athlete would need to show potential for either top 20 or top 30 performances to get scholarship money.
On the current RU roster that is limited to about 2-3 athletes. The door is wide open in terms of recruiting for RU track, we need to get better like the other Olympic sports but unfortunately I don't think this coach is going to be that guy

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Newell, what was your personal best 5K while in high school? 15 flat or so?

Based on history and a look at the current roster, there are 6-8 athletes on the men's side that qualify. Burgess at 400 M, Bridgett with the LJ, Christie with the HJ (He is still on the roster so he must have a least some eligibility) and 3 Javelin throwers have all placed in the Big Ten championships. Buntin qualified for several finals this spring but did not compete in those events. Tarantino seems to have the talent in the sprints but it seems he has struggled to stay healthy. There a couple of others who are close and several others who have qualified as part of relay teams. I have no idea if any of the incoming freshmen will add to list.

Nephew running in Meet of Champions today. Tremendous improvement in the past year. Very happy for him. A couple New Jersey Division 1 schools on him. Wish Rutgers was one of them.

Last edited:
Newell, he is at Howell. Second fastest school record at Holmdel Park. Fastest was by a kid who is currently at Rutgers. He is now running races almost two minutes faster than a year ago. I am not sure if it is because of a growth spurt or the fact that he now has a tent, stove, and fridge at the Manasquan Reservoir, but he just keeps getting faster and faster. Not sure how much more time he could have shaved if it wasn’t for the bleeding yesterday. Some colleges have said they want to see his time at the first Winter Track meet which is just before Christmas.I think he really wants to run in college, scholarship or walk on.Seems Northeast schools are now in the picture too. Has good grades and is National Honor Society. His dog loves him. I know I could be just a bit biased, but he is a great kid too.

Last edited:
I hope things work out for him at RU. I coached 40 years of X-C in NJ and am in the NJ State Coaches HOF. I have told RU for years that they should recruit more distance runners from NJ. They usually use their money for sprinters, jumpers and weight men who can do several events. In the fall of 1976 in Cross Country RU came in 15th in the nation and had many outstanding freshmen and sophomores. They were led by Ed Taylor who I coached for 3 years and he was the second highest freshman runner in the NCAA Championships as a freshman only behind Rudy Chapa of Oregon who was 9th in that race. There are so many outstanding X-C runners and distance runners every year in NJ but we very rarely ever land any of them. NJ every year is rated like the 4th best state in the country for cross country and track. It is frustrating to me and I hope things can change in the near future.

Almost every Rutgers school record longer than 800 yards/meters was set in the 70's and early 80s. Billy Hill broke the indoor mile record this past winter which is the first "distance" record set this that period.

A coach couldn’t dream a better ending to a recruiting visit. Rutgers Basketball beats the number 1 team in the country. Mom gets courtside seats and the kid sits with the students and storms the court after the game. Go Rutgers !!!

Well, he ended up at his original first choice before coaches started recruiting him—Clemson. Rutgers didn’t lose him. Clemson won him. He liked the campus, the people, the coaches, and a brand new Business School building. Will be running cross-country and track. I tried , but didn’t push. Zero for four on my nephews. Very happy for him. Running at the Nike Indoor Nationals today.

ADVERTISEMENT