ADVERTISEMENT

Nets make the worst trade in the history of sports

The Nets are going down the same road the Knicks did , you would think they would have learned from the Knicks mistakes , yes they will put fannies in the seats but nothing more, these players will be using a revolving door as they constantly go down with injuries 🤦‍♂️.

With Kyrie always a question of when he'll decide to play or if something will tick him off and Durant seemingly wanting the top dog position, Harden might find the Nets not the type of team he can be the leader of pack like he was in Houston and find being one of 3 not as great as being #1 .
The Nets will have 3 great offensive weapons fighting to be THE offensive weapon and that might bot be a good thing , chemistry wise.
edit: Harden -Durant might work out because they played together before, but with Irving in mix there might be problems.
The Nets might be looking to deal Kyrie if they can get a good return.
But teams might wonder if Irving's talent overcomes the problems that comes with him and not offer what his type of talent should demand.

Last edited:
Arguably three of the most selfish players in the history of the game. I’ve got to assume that ownership has threatened to break legs and shatter kneecaps if they don’t play together as a team and win the title.

(Sarcasm)

Reactions: biker7766
With Kyrie always a question of when he'll decide to play or if something will tick him off and Durant seemingly wanting the top dog position, Harden might find the Nets not the type of team he can be the leader of pack like he was in Houston and find being one of 3 not as great as being #1 .
The Nets will have 3 great offensive weapons fighting to be THE offensive weapon and that might bot be a good thing , chemistry wise.
edit: Harden -Durant might work out because they played together before, but with Irving in mix there might be problems.
The Nets might be looking to deal Kyrie if they can get a good return.
But teams might wonder if Irving's talent overcomes the problems that comes with him and not offer what his type of talent should demand.
Fortunately, the Nets have an experienced, respected disciplinarian as their HC. The players in question know that they must put their egos aside, or else.😉

• Haha
Reactions: tico brown
Mets, Jets , Nets . What does it matter? Anything with ETS will never win a league championship in the next 100 years . Carry on. Happy hockey season.

You make this trade to win a championship. Nothing short of that will do. Win just one, it's a good trade.
Harden's trade value was nose-diving, where was Houston going to get a package any close to what they just got from the Nets?

well at least they got a guy still in his prime and already have two other superstars in their primes... 2014 was getting superstars on their last legs for the same amount given up

I'm going to irrationally justify the trade because I have nothing else to hold onto.

1. Steve Nash is a HOF player turned coach hand picked by Durant (and Kyrie). Very respected among the players.

2. This doesn't happen without Durant and Nash (and Kyrie I guess) signing off on it.
This isn't like Harden agreeing (like bringing in Westbrook or Chris Paul). Durant/Nash have to believe this will work.
Harden had to prove to Durant/Nash it would work.

3. High draft picks are overrated. See the Knicks and the vast other high pick busts. Unless there is a star then picking later in the draft is fine - it's on the team to identify talent.

4. Maybe Kyrie will re-adjust now that he out of trade talks. Also realize the team has 2 other legit stars. If he doesn't want to play then the team can get by without him.

Hmm....I'll be back with more.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I don’t understand how teams in the NY market seem to have trouble with the concept of leverage.

In this case, Eddy Curry with the Knicks, and Martin St Louis with the Rangers, the trading team was in a bind because the player couldn’t/wouldn’t play for them but the stupid NY team steps in and overpays anyway.

Nets 1st round pick situation:
2021 - Traded (should be mid 20's)
2022 - Pick Swap (only an issue if Houston finishes higher than the Nets - unlikely)
2023 - Traded
2024 - Pick Swap
2025 - Traded
2026 - Pick Swap
2027 - Traded

It's not nearly as bad as it seems.
The Boston trade was only bad because the players were old and bad (as said above).

If the Nets stay competitive with Durant and Harden then the pick swaps lose value (and potentially aren't even executed).
And the picks would be late teens to mid 20s.

Reactions: BLewis1968
2022 - Pick Swap (only an issue if Houston finishes higher than the Nets - unlikely)
2023 - Traded
2024 - Pick Swap
2025 - Traded
2026 - Pick Swap
2027 - Traded

The Boston trade was only bad because the players were old and bad (as said above).

If the Nets stay competitive with Durant and Harden then the pick swaps lose value (and potentially aren't even executed).
Don't forget Jarrett Allen and Caris Levert.

2023 - Traded
2024 - Pick Swap
2025 - Traded
2026 - Pick Swap
2027 - Traded

and the Boston trade left the 1st rounders unprotected

One of the few die hard Nets fans here. This trade stinks. I’m not that upset about the draft picks because they will all most likely be 20+. What most upsets me is that the nets lost a tremendous amount of depth and defense. They now have no center and no real PG, and nothing off the bench. If Kyrie didn’t abandon the team and Dinwiddie wasn’t lost for the season, then this wouldn’t be as bad. But as of today, it’s bad. The way the team is comprised, what you lose in Allen and Levert is probably more than you gain with Harden. That being said, if Irving decides to come back to the team, it is a championship caliber team, albeit one with no depth or defense but can put up 150 a game. I wanted to trade Kyrie straight up for Harden, but with him possibly retiring he killed that option.

Don't forget Jarrett Allen and Caris Levert.

Ok I can work with that too......

Hmmm.....

Ok. LeVert isn't needed as much.
Nash can spread out minutes for the 3 (Harden, Durant, Kyrie) to minimize bench heavy lifting. All 3 can handle the ball and run the offense.

Jarrett Allen.....he's a RFA after this season (I believe?). After signing Joe Harris to a big contact it was going to be difficult to Allen bring back anyway.

One of the few die hard Nets fans here. This trade stinks. I’m not that upset about the draft picks because they will all most likely be 20+. What most upsets me is that the nets lost a tremendous amount of depth and defense. They now have no center and no real PG, and nothing off the bench. If Kyrie didn’t abandon the team and Dinwiddie wasn’t lost for the season, then this wouldn’t be as bad. But as of today, it’s bad. The way the team is comprised, what you lose in Allen and Levert is probably more than you gain with Harden. That being said, if Irving decides to come back to the team, it is a championship caliber team, albeit one with no depth or defense but can put up 150 a game. I wanted to trade Kyrie straight up for Harden, but with him possibly retiring he killed that option.
If I was a betting man, Kyrie playing the next game with Harden would be a Stone Cold Lock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT