ADVERTISEMENT

Nets make the worst trade in the history of sports

As a Nets fan I am ok with the trade. Only regret is giving up Allen. Don’t care about the picks. That’s fine. Lavert hurts but I would rather have Harden. Good deal.

Reactions: BLewis1968
well yeah, hence why as a Celtics fan I couldn't believe it happened.
Imagine Rockets fans right now, this morning they thought getting any fair trade value for Harden was out the window after his performance last night and his press conference that followed, but instead on the same day they absolutely fleeced the Nets.

As a Nets fan I am ok with the trade. Only regret is giving up Allen. Don’t care about the picks. That’s fine. Lavert hurts but I would rather have Harden. Good deal.
I think you can make the case that Harden will be good with the Nets, its the assets heading back that makes this a terrible deal. If I'm Sean Marks I sit back and wait, not jump on Harden, you only jump on a player when you're giving up less than the value, not more.

Traded almost all of thier next decade of 1st round picks plus players for one of the most selfish players in the sport outside of their other asshat of a player
giphy.gif

What is a first round swap?

Houston has the option to swap 1st round picks.

Scenario A:
Nets pick #20
Houston picks #5

Houston would decline their option.
Picks stay the same.

Scenario B:
Nets collapse and pick #4
Houston is better and picks #18.

Houston exercises their swap option.
Nets now get pick #18.
Houston gets pick #4.

The reason the swaps ruined the Nets-Boston trade was the Nets got bad and ended with high picks. Those picks then got swapped to Boston.

What is a first round swap?

Additional "Pick Trading" feature in the NBA:

Teams are not allowed to trade away future 1st round picks in consecutive years.
For example, the Nets couldn't have traded their 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024 1st round picks.
You get around that by offering "pick swaps". Since the Nets still have a 1st round pick in 2022 and 2024 (potentially Houston's pick) the trade is allowed.

Called the "Stepian Rule" after a former Cavs owner (Ted Stepian) traded a bunch of consecutive 1st round picks in the 80s.

One of the few die hard Nets fans here. This trade stinks. I’m not that upset about the draft picks because they will all most likely be 20+. What most upsets me is that the nets lost a tremendous amount of depth and defense. They now have no center and no real PG, and nothing off the bench. If Kyrie didn’t abandon the team and Dinwiddie wasn’t lost for the season, then this wouldn’t be as bad. But as of today, it’s bad. The way the team is comprised, what you lose in Allen and Levert is probably more than you gain with Harden. That being said, if Irving decides to come back to the team, it is a championship caliber team, albeit one with no depth or defense but can put up 150 a game. I wanted to trade Kyrie straight up for Harden, but with him possibly retiring he killed that option.
Why do you need a PG when their offense is going to consist of Iso's and pick and rolls with the big 3?

Don't forget Jarrett Allen and Caris Levert.
Losing Allen hurts. I mentioned in an earlier post that you make this trade to win a championship. To do that, you've got to go through LeBron. To do THAT, you need a rim protector. The Mets just traded theirs.

LeVert is a really good player, but Harden makes him expendable.

Allen's RFA contract his offseason will be a good indicator.
Could I see some team throwing big money (near max) at him? Maybe.
If so then he was probably gone anyway.

Harden's trade value was nose-diving, where was Houston going to get a package any close to what they just got from the Nets?
I don’t understand how teams in the NY market seem to have trouble with the concept of leverage.

In this case, Eddy Curry with the Knicks, and Martin St Louis with the Rangers, the trading team was in a bind because the player couldn’t/wouldn’t play for them but the stupid NY team steps in and overpays anyway.
I think you can make the case that Harden will be good with the Nets, its the assets heading back that makes this a terrible deal. If I'm Sean Marks I sit back and wait, not jump on Harden, you only jump on a player when you're giving up less than the value, not more.

Just pointing out that Harden done deal to Philly was widely speculated and going around NBA circles all afternoon.

This wasn't the Nets just out of the blue trading for Harden with nobody else involved.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Know what?
I love this trade.
Let's go.

Those picks and swaps are extremely overrated.
Everyone complains about Caris and Allen.
They were a 2016 #20 and 2017 #22 pick.
Nets traded their 2016 pick to Boston and still ended up with a guy everyone says will be missed.

What happened to the Nets after the 2013 trade? They are right back to being title contenders and have 2 of the Top 10 players in the league.
Remind me of all the titles Boston won since then?

Is this a joke?

They won their division, were 2nd in the West and went to the 2012 NBA Finals their last season together before Harden got traded.
Were they very good? Yes, but they didn't win did they? This trade value is essentially one you make if you think it puts you over the top,99% guaranteed winner. I don't think this gets them to 50%

Draft picks are over valued. I will take a proven commodity over four 19 yr old "one and done" players who are making first round money and won't be a developed contributor until their rookie contract expires.

Reactions: ATIOH and redking
Losing Allen hurts. I mentioned in an earlier post that you make this trade to win a championship. To do that, you've got to go through LeBron. To do THAT, you need a rim protector. The Mets just traded theirs.

LeVert is a really good player, but Harden makes him expendable.

The Nets now have three incredible scorers (if Kyrie decides to play) and the worst 4/5 rotation in the entire league, after trading Allen. DeAndre Jordan is ossifying before our eyes. This is bad roster construction.

Also, major potential chemistry issues.

The Nets now have three incredible scorers (if Kyrie decides to play) and the worst 4/5 rotation in the entire league, after trading Allen. DeAndre Jordan is ossifying before our eyes. This is bad roster construction.

Also, major potential chemistry issues.

Joe Harris is a good complimentary player to the three. All he has to do is stand at the 3 pt. line, catch and shoot. That being said I doubt Harden will ever pass him the ball

Nets 1st round pick situation:
2021 - Traded (should be mid 20's)
2022 - Pick Swap (only an issue if Houston finishes higher than the Nets - unlikely)
2023 - Traded
2024 - Pick Swap
2025 - Traded
2026 - Pick Swap
2027 - Traded

It's not nearly as bad as it seems.
The Boston trade was only bad because the players were old and bad (as said above).

If the Nets stay competitive with Durant and Harden then the pick swaps lose value (and potentially aren't even executed).
And the picks would be late teens to mid 20s.

I had the picks backwards.
It's a pick swap for this year 2021.

So basically the first pick swap is worthless. Minimal chance at best Houston uses it.

Down to 3 picks and 3 swaps in actuality.

What a joke the NBA has become. A player like Harden is why the NBA is unwatchable to me now. It used to be my number one sport. Now it is like watching the And 1 league they used to show on ESPN

Sadly, I don't even remember the last time I actually watched an NBA game. Being a Knicks fan probably has a lot to do with that. Hell, even if they were watchable, none of the tv services I've had the past few years carried MSG anyway. Once the Hardens, Durants and Lebrons retire, I might not know any players in the league... unless they come from the B1G.

Just pointing out that Harden done deal to Philly was widely speculated and going around NBA circles all afternoon.

This wasn't the Nets just out of the blue trading for Harden with nobody else involved.
Yes, but there was still an extremely limited market for him, and that just means that the 76ers were being just as stupid as the Nets.

You had a team that was forced to trade him in a market that was limited. Those two factors should result in obtaining him for a big discount on his actual trade value.

Look at it this way. Since there has been a salary cap, trading for a player with a bad contract gives the acquiring team the leverage to give up less assets to obtain him than they normally would have to.

NY teams seem to not understand that factors like refusing to play for their current team or limiting the market of potential acquirers offers the same kind of leverage in a deal as a bad contract,

Stephen A. Smith said that in his opinion Kyre Irving should retire. Doesn't think his heart is in it.
When are the Nets going to say to him "Cut the s**t! Do you want to play or not?"

Reactions: biker7766
It’s like playing with three QBs on the field at the same time.

The Nets mortgaged their future for a bunch of big, whiney, me first crybabies. The NBA is a complete S#*show where the inmates run the asylum. You reap what you sow. I didnt think I could possibly hate the NBA any more then I had, but thank you Nets for proving me wrong.

We'll see if Harden can change his game to some degree to fit it with the other two during the important closing moments of games. I doubt the three of them play more than 15-20 minutes a game together on the floor. While their depth takes a hit, and their future becomes more uncertain, they are an immediate favorite to win the championship. Their window is this year and next since I understand all of them have opt outs after the 22 season.

The Nets mortgaged their future for a bunch of big, whiney, me first crybabies. The NBA is a complete S#*show where the inmates run the asylum. You reap what you sow. I didnt think I could possibly hate the NBA any more then I had, but thank you Nets for proving me wrong.
Go Devils

Reactions: LETSGORU91

I guess the new gameplan for Nets is to just keep two defenders under the opponents basket at all times. lol

My first pro basketball game was watching the New Jersey Americans at the Teaneck Armory. I've been a Net fan since.
I hate this trade.
Very cool. I remember as a little kid reading the Americans box scores in the paper. Can‘t remember the names anymore though. Followed the Dr. J years very closely but gave up on the NBA quite some time ago.

Stephen A. Smith said that in his opinion Kyre Irving should retire. Doesn't think his heart is in it.
When are the Nets going to say to him "Cut the s**t! Do you want to play or not?"
This is tricky. None of us know Kyrie's situation. There may be some sort of clinical infirmity, not necessarily physical, but real enough that the Nets would still be liable for his contract.

Since you hate the NBA so much, why do you even care about its player transactions?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT