ADVERTISEMENT

Nets make the worst trade in the history of sports

Very cool. I remember as a little kid reading the Americans box scores in the paper. Can‘t remember the names anymore though. Followed the Dr. J years very closely but gave up on the NBA quite some time ago.

I remember Levern Tart was one of their best players. I thought the name was cool.

I am actually ok with Durant and Harden together, it is the other asshat who f's everything up.

Since you hate the NBA so much, why do you even care about its player transactions?

Number one, i dont care. Number two, it's dominating sports news and it's not easily avoidable. Number three, Irving's antics and their money thrown around at these self entitled athletes helps reaffirm my dislike for anything associated with the NBA. For those reasons, it's ok to come on a discussion board and weigh in on my opinion. That's what a discussion board is all about. Did you voice your displeasure for Flood or Ash in any way or form at all here or elsewhere?

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
This is tricky. None of us know Kyrie's situation. There may be some sort of clinical infirmity, not necessarily physical, but real enough that the Nets would still be liable for his contract.
"Clinical infirmity"? Is that a nice way of saying "certifiable head-case"?

So what?
All the NBA experts around here (who haven't watched an NBA game in 48 years) keep saying nobody in the NBA plays defense anyway.

So now defense matters?
Guess all the "experts" here were wrong.

Know what?
I love this trade.
Let's go.

Those picks and swaps are extremely overrated.
Everyone complains about Caris and Allen.
They were a 2016 #20 and 2017 #22 pick.
Nets traded their 2016 pick to Boston and still ended up with a guy everyone says will be missed.

What happened to the Nets after the 2013 trade? They are right back to being title contenders and have 2 of the Top 10 players in the league.
Remind me of all the titles Boston won since then?

I still follow/watch the NBA.

• If Irving starts showing up again and if Harden buys in - the Nets will have a superior offense - most likely the most firepower in the NBA.
  • Defense still matters, especially the ability to defend the 3 with a shot blocker at the rim. Mid-Range game is pretty much becoming a lost art as is defending against the low post.
  • Risks of this trade:
    • Future Draft picks & swaps - (2024 - 2027) - contracts of the big 3 expire in 2022/23 season and risk that Nets will be in rebuild mode so those picks could be valuable. Also note that starting in 2022 - it is likely that HS Players will be available for drafting - which will deepen the pool.
    • Durant - he is currently on a minutes limit, coming off a major injury and an older player (32 - old by NBA standards). Note that Harden is 31.
    • Salary Cap - Nets salary commitment currently stand at ~$164M through next year. To be honest, I'm unclear on how the NBA cap works as it is currently at ~$109M and they are obviously well above the figure - but they will have no flexibility. If they win, it won't matter as players will come in for the vet min. If they show lack of harmony or have major injuries, they are pretty much f'd. (EDIT) - Nets are now well over the luxury tax threshold, and will pay extra. The issue here is that they are likely hamstrung in being able to use any of their exceptions - if they do, they will be then subject to a Hard Cap which would reduce their Cap Limit to ~$138M. In other words, likely no flexibility for the next several years with the current roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714
Mets, Jets , Nets . What does it matter? Anything with ETS will never win a league championship in the next 100 years . Carry on. Happy hockey season.
Mets fan here and I think they will win one. They haven’t won a ton since 1969 but they have had a few and some final losses as well as a couple of playoff losses. I’m bullish on the Mets and my Giants. Knicks and Rangers not so much. RU Football and Hoops....yes.

138868824_3949570795082838_288831566868328346_n.jpg

The Nets Heavy D and the Boyz 2.0. Great trade if you don't like them. Feast or famine pun intended. Harden is starting to resemble Finch from the 80's movie Wildcats.

Nets 122
Orlando 115

Durant
39min
42p 4r 5a

Harden - triple double
39min
30p 11r 14a

Not bad for just being thrown together.

I'm giving this some time. Nets offense this season is basically upscale streetball - so not surprised by Harden's performance. Orlando is beset with injuries right now.

Just providing a quick update since so many people in this thread haven't actually watched the NBA in 49 years.

Nets clinched a playoff spot tonight - actually the first team in the East to clinch a playoff spot - and are currently the #1 seed.
This has happened despite all the constant fighting over the basketball, lazy play from Harden, total locker room distraction Kyrie has been and complete lack of production from the "terrible bench".
Oh wait............none of that has happened. My bad.

Also, Houston has been eliminated from playoff contention for days.
This basically guarantees that the "2021 Pick Swap" won't be exercised and was meaningless for this trade.
Something I said would happen immediately after seeing the trade.

Just providing a quick update since so many people in this thread haven't actually watched the NBA in 49 years.

Nets clinched a playoff spot tonight - actually the first team in the East to clinch a playoff spot - and are currently the #1 seed.
This has happened despite all the constant fighting over the basketball, lazy play from Harden, total locker room distraction Kyrie has been and complete lack of production from the "terrible bench".

This basically guarantees that the "2021 Pick Swap" won't be exercised and was meaningless for this trade.
I cover the team for a living, so if anybody wants my input, I'll chime in. If they'd prefer to keep the hot takes going, that's cool too.

I am starting to keep track of the Nets and Knicks again. The Knicks are amazing and I hope the Nets win it all if only they can stay healthy.

Last edited:
As a Net fan since day 1 with the NJ Americans I was totally against this trade. I was wrong. I love watching Harden play. He does things that you shouldn't be able to do and he does them so effortlessly despite the fact that he has the body of a guy you'd see Sunday morning at a pick up game at the Y.
On defense they'll never be confused with the Chuck Daly Pistons but Nash has gotten them to buy in enough to make them competent.
My only worry Is that some sort of "personal issues" will come up again for Kyrie which would screw this all up.

Last edited:
I cover the team for a living, so if anybody wants my input, I'll chime in. If they'd prefer to keep the hot takes going, that's cool too.
1) Should we be concerned about Kyrie taking games (and even an entire road trip) off for "personal reasons"?

2) How important is it that the Big 3 get some games in together before the playoffs? Does it matter at all?

3) What can we expect from Blake Griffin at this point?

4) Can the Nets go all the way without a rim protector? Or can Claxton fill that role?

Thanks in advance for your professional opinion!

Last edited:
There are a lot of haters in the thread but will be fans shortly
Not a hater as a I was a Nets fan when they were still here.

But I do think there are more of these...
types of NBA fans and not just in the thread who will treat this news (even if the Nets win the whole thing) as a “that’s nice” and go about their day. Do hope they win it though.

Try not to get hurt when patting yourself on the back.😉

As you probably know, I'm still and NBA watcher and I posted on the BBall board that the Nets are built to win now. They very well just might win it all if they can get & keep the Big 3 on the court together in the playoffs. That being said - this thread is about the Harden trade, and still not sure it was the right thing to do for both current and future state of the Nets.
  • They might be contending for first place even without Harden & with Allen, Lavert and Prince back on the roster combined with Durant and Kyrie. Even if not in first place, they would be well positioned for the playoffs with Durant & Kyrie back.
  • They're locked in and well over the Cap Apron for the next 2 seasons which essentially means they can't sign anyone except as a vet minimum or unless they trade one of the Big 3.
  • They're all in on the next 2 season and will likely have a significant rebuild by giving up most of their future and cost effective players - Allen (23), Lavert (26), Prince (27) - as well as 3 First Rounders (and to a lesser extent - the risk of the 3 remaining pick swaps).
That said - they look pretty unbeatable for this season. Great for Nets fans and a franchise seeking it's first NBA 'ship.

I wasn't a big fan of this trade because I didn't realize that Harden could transform his game the way he did. Looking at it now I think this will actually be a pretty good trade. Durant is 32, Kyrie is 28 and Harden is 31 so they should have 3 or 4 more years after this one if they stay together where they will have a real chance to win a championship.

I wasn't a big fan of this trade because I didn't realize that Harden could transform his game the way he did. Looking at it now I think this will actually be a pretty good trade. Durant is 32, Kyrie is 28 and Harden is 31 so they should have 3 or 4 more years after this one if they stay together where they will have a real chance to win a championship.
But will they stay together? Harden has one year left on his contract (expires in 2022), plus a player option for 22-23. Irving and Durant both have two years after this one.

But will they stay together? Harden has one year left on his contract (expires in 2022), plus a player option for 22-23. Irving and Durant both have two years after this one.

Well the Nets can offer them more than anyone else, so if nothing else hopefully a sign and trade, but I think all 3 are here because they want to be and if they win a title that curses a lot of problems.

Is baskutbal the one with the Frisbee??!

Hahaha ...amirite, boys!!? Who's with me? 👉👉

Well the Nets can offer them more than anyone else, so if nothing else hopefully a sign and trade, but I think all 3 are here because they want to be and if they win a title that curses a lot of problems.

This whole "Nets are built for 2 years and then it's over" is extremely over blown.
They don't have any long-term terrible contracts (other than DeAndre Jordan for 2 years after this).

Do they have a young star under a long-term contract? No.
But just because someone is signed for 5-6 years doesn't mean they aren't demanding a trade soon anyway.

2022-2023 contracts:
Harden (Player Option), Durant (Player Option), Irving (Player Option)
Harris, Jordan, Shamet, Johnson

Worst case all 3 of them Opt-Out and leave.

Nets have an immense amount of cap space to potentially sign players.
If all 3 opt-in then the Nets can potentially extend them and will still have a great core for a number of years.

Good players are always available on minimum salaries and buy outs for championship contenders - see the current roster that everyone claimed was terrible and turns out it's not.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/brooklyn_nets/

1) Should we be concerned about Kyrie taking games (and even an entire road trip) off for "personal reasons"?

2) How important is it that the Big 3 get some games in together before the playoffs? Does it matter at all?

3) What can we expect from Blake Griffin at this point?

4) Can the Nets go all the way without a rim protector? Or can Claxton fill that role?

Thanks in advance for your professional opinion!
1) Unlikely. One can never rule out definitively what will or won't happen in another man's future, but he's been pretty open about the goal they all joined up for. Now, staying physically healthy is another thing...
2) It would be highly useful. It's also highly unlikely. I don't expect to see much of Harden before then. Yes it matters, but its a little overblown. They've known for a while they won't get much of a run-in together.
3) A solid roller, efficient if not overwhelmingly-athlete offense, and smart defense. He's leading the league in charges and will happily get on the floor for loose balls. Just dont expect him to jumper over any more Kias.
4) Great question. In that stretch before they added Aldridge, Claxton was their best defender. I can't overstate how vital a switchable big is in the playoffs. If there's a player I want to see them get a run-in for, it's him. Harden can step on the court and vibe w/ KD & Kyrie. Claxton is young, green and lost momentum after Aldridge and now this health & safety protocol mess he's in. He'll need time to get going enough to convince Nash to use him in the playoff rotation, which you know is going to shrink.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
How it started- this thread.

How it's going:

You mean a thread full of people who proudly proclaim they don't watch the NBA had amazingly wrong takes on the NBA?

Who could have seen that coming.

The best is when the same people start threads saying "Random Person X doesn't even watch Rutgers football/basketball. How could they rank us so low! They are clueless!"

As an original NJ Americans fan I will admit that I was 100% wrong regarding Harden. His defense is still invisible but he's proven to be very unselfish and team oriented guy.

This might be the most embarrassing play ever.
Even a 100% Harden should get demolished by Giannis in the post.
But a 20% Harden (with a hurt leg) waves off the double team and "forces" a terrible shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT