ADVERTISEMENT

New 2023 Player signed to WBB: PG Lisa Thompson

And to recap!!!!

Excited Ric Flair GIF

Looks like the program under Coquese is gaining the fanbase's confidence more and more every day and the worries being put on the back burner
with the way the program is starting to get the players it needs to be a winner.

There was a lot of criticism of this hire by the usual suspects because their preferred choice did not get it. Sour grapes 🍇.

The posters that only come around when their is some bad news.
F 'em. @bac2therac with his sad sack routine comes to mind. He's awfully quiet, or waiting for something to complain about.

Coach Washington seems to be such a class act...she reminds me a little of Coach Pike in demeanor, at times. I have to admit that it seemed so quiet on the HS recruiting front that I was starting to worry a little. Great news to see here...if the Women's Basketball program could follow the Men's BB path to success, wouldn't that be grand? WELCOME TO THE BANKS, MS. THOMPSON! GO RU! GO COACH WASHINGTON!

It’s more difficult to recruit good players when your program has been down like us. So it makes it extra special what CW and staff have accomplished with recruiting freshmen and thru the portal. I am expecting the team to take a nice step up this upcoming season. Look what they accomplished last season with a very shorthanded team.
Great hire.

so true and there were many that were worried about her ability to succeed even if they supported her hire.
To be fair there wasn’t a lot of history that inspired great confidence she would succeed. Especially given the bag of 💩 she was handed.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
To be fair there wasn’t a lot of history that inspired great confidence she would succeed. Especially given the bag of 💩 she was handed.
Nothing wrong woith looking at her resume, the type of program she was taking over and worrying if she would succeed in making RU a good program or not.
I was worried myself about her comming in and making Rutgers WBB a top program again
Rutgers was a fairly good program, but not what it once was, before becoming a bad one under Tim.
That had me worried about the way recruits might look at RU WBB and if
the new HC could make the talented recruits feel Rutgers WBB would be a top program again and have the type of roster that could do it
Right now I'm less worried, but not completely cured of it,yet

Coach Washington has been able to embrace all things positive about Rutgers. She did not at all get into the finger-pointing, blame game that many coaches display when they take a position at a new school, harping on the poor condition of the program they are taking over (a la Ash). She uses the program history and the Grentz/Stringer past to promote where she WILL be taking the program AGAIN. Nothing not to like with her....GO RU!

The situation with CVS leaving and Coquese being hired so late in the game last year was...not ideal. Coquese's coaching resume was a mixed bag [big highs and big lows], she was left with very little talent, and not much time to recruit new talent.

But from the beginning, she seemed to come into this role clear-eyed and with appropriate expectations. She knew she needed to lock in the recruits and players the previous coaches had acquired, set up a dynamite coaching staff, and most importantly--establish her culture.

I thought she was very upfront in her media days before the season: the goals for the year were of course to win, but she knew they had 8 players who had barely played together before, so a lot of the season was going to be about establishing the systems and building the culture for the future.

I think many fans were pleasantly surprised with how the team performed this year. The team seemed super tight and like they were having fun together. The coaches remained positive. And they won 5 B10 games and one B10 tournament game.

Now, in her first real offseason with her staff, she's landed 2 transfers who were highly regarded out of HS [including a former McDonalds All American from NJ], landed a top 60 player for next year out of the blue, and already has a 4 star recruit for the upcoming class.

On the surface, it certainly seems like she and the staff are starting to improve the talent level on the roster. The next step is for them to mold that talent into a better team.

Slow and steady...but only positive signs from the staff thus far.

I'm looking forward to see them play this fall. When was the last time the men and women basketball teams was competitive? It should be fun in the RAC this year.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT