ADVERTISEMENT

New Brunswick’s Number One Hit “Brandy” Turns 50

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Looking Glass had their Billboard #1 hit "Brandy" 50 years ago this summer. E
xcited to share a full accounting of that story in the link below. And also:

-some new Bruce Springsteen anecdotes from Looking Glass drummer Jeff Grob
-the band lived on Catherine Street, which was in the parcel of land that became the J&J headquarters. Their song "Catherine Street" from 1972 is a tribute to the neighborhood. They lived next to a brothel colloquially called Mama Della's House of Fun (that's all in the article)
-an old photo of Arthur Milgrom outside his French Street antique shop Aaron Ardvark & Sons
-Art Dana's Triangle Inn plays a key role

And plenty more. Enjoy!

Looking Glass had their Billboard #1 hit "Brandy" 50 years ago this summer. E
xcited to share a full accounting of that story in the link below. And also:

-some new Bruce Springsteen anecdotes from Looking Glass drummer Jeff Grob
-the band lived on Catherine Street, which was in the parcel of land that became the J&J headquarters. Their song "Catherine Street" from 1972 is a tribute to the neighborhood. They lived next to a brothel colloquially called Mama Della's House of Fun (that's all in the article)
-an old photo of Arthur Milgrom outside his French Street antique shop Aaron Ardvark & Sons
-Art Dana's Triangle Inn plays a key role

And plenty more. Enjoy!

Thank you for this amazing article Tango.

Reactions: Tango Two
should play this during football games with a video reel of NB in the 70's

There was a discussion on the football board sometime back about one-hit wonders, and several posters said they hated the song. I don't understand why.

Reactions: RU MAN
There was a discussion on the football board sometime back about one-hit wonders, and several posters said they hated the song. I don't understand why.
I don't understand that at all. It's a GREAT song that has lasted for more than 50 years. Yes, they only put out 2 albums but they also had another hit with Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT