ADVERTISEMENT

New candidates at Arkansas

I think Norvell would be a solid hire. I don't think Venables wants to be a head coach, but wouldn't be surprised if the $ can convince him. He's paid like one at Clemson.

Normal in maybe 2005.
If you look at the actual published salaries, a lot of the big names have lower core salaries. They get the big money from the TV/radio shows, clothing/sneaker & other comp.

it will be tough to get an experienced coach because of the way your AD handled the firing, with that said Norvell is a great offensive mind and can recruit

Brent Venables from Clemson

Mike Norvell from Memphis

I would be happy with either!

Your thoughts?
I like Norvell and think he's a good choice and has done a nice job at Memphis.

Venables is a name I've mentioned for a few years just along the same time I had been mentioning Herman before he blew up and was coordinator at OSU.

I've thought he could be a good coach but have been wondering why he doesn't get much play. He's been an excellent DC at OU and now again at Clemson and is known to be a good recruiter too. I think he'd run a spread too considering his time at OU and Clemson. He's one of those defensive coaches who hopefully would do a good job identifying good offensive coaches to employ a system given his time at OU/Clemson.

The only hint of anything I could find as to why he never got much play is he could have some demeanor/temper issues. If that's unfounded then I think he'd be a good hire too. He definitely can be an excitable type similar to Tom Allen at IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Sonny Crumbie from TCU would be perfect... he's not a once in a generation type coach like my man Lincoln Riley but he can surely be very successful at Arkansas.

I like Norvell and think he's a good choice and has done a nice job at Memphis.

Venables is a name I've mentioned for a few years just along the same time I had been mentioning Herman before he blew up and was coordinator at OSU.

I've thought he could be a good coach but have been wondering why he doesn't get much play. He's been an excellent DC at OU and now again at Clemson and is known to be a good recruiter too. I think he'd run a spread too considering his time at OU and Clemson. He's one of those defensive coaches who hopefully would do a good job identifying good offensive coaches to employ a system given his time at OU/Clemson.

The only hint of anything I could find as to why he never got much play is he could have some demeanor/temper issues. If that's unfounded then I think he'd be a good hire too. He definitely can be an excitable type similar to Tom Allen at IU.
Why are you not pumping up Aranda? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Norvell has to prove it with his own recruits first IMO (remember Kyle Flood). Besides money, where does the Arkansas job stack up compared to others? Seems like a tough job to gauge where it stands - draw established HC, top young HC or hot OC/DC?

Reactions: 63valiant
I don't know. I would think twice about taking an SEC job. There is just too much delusion there. I understand the desire to be the best, believe me, but that isn't going to happen overnight at these schools. These guys get 4 years to overtake Bama and that just isn't going to happen. It's almost impossible to be a "success".

(yes I'm aware Bama lost but they right now are still the SEC standard bearer).

UF--what the heck is their excuse??? That one baffles me.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
Norvell has to prove it with his own recruits first IMO (remember Kyle Flood). Besides money, where does the Arkansas job stack up compared to others? Seems like a tough job to gauge where it stands - draw established HC, top young HC or hot OC/DC?
I agree with that general notion and that was my issue with Butch Jones twice following Kelly but he was a good OC at ASU and Memphis did lose Paxton Lynch and their offense is still rolling so I feel better about him as solid option. There are no guarantees though.

Frank Broyles thought the Arkansas job was perfect. No in-state competition. the fan base is not fractured into groups, the newspaper loves the Hogs. Great community in NWA. Great facilities. Strong alumni support. Good money area. Good money for the HC and assitants.

We have NEVER won the SEC but we have been competitive. I am just wishing to be competitive at this point in time.

Great, now we are going to have to hear Musburger say Brent Venables even more now.

I hope they pick up Norvell, only because Tennessee may be expressing interest in him.

Wonder if Gus Malzahn may give Arkansas a look. Despite his success at Auburn he was on the hot seat earlier this month. There were rumors he may look elsewhere and Arkansas seems like a fit. His recent big wins certainly changed his job security for now, but maybe not his feeling that he shouldn't have to deal with the unreasonableness at Auburn despite his success.

Reactions: Jimpeg
1. Norvell has a solid rep for the job he did at ASU, but at Memphis he is playing with Fuentes recruits which is a cause for concern. I've also heard alot of unsubstantiated rumors that the might have skeletons in his closet and its chasing some schools away from him.

2. Venables - His pedigree is really really good.

Jesus, Memphis can't keep a head coach for the life of them.
Look for ASU to take a look at Norvell because he was their OC before taking the Memphis HC job.
But I think the Sun Devils AD might be looking at Sumlin
first.

Frank Broyles thought the Arkansas job was perfect. No in-state competition. the fan base is not fractured into groups, the newspaper loves the Hogs. Great community in NWA. Great facilities. Strong alumni support. Good money area. Good money for the HC and assitants.

We have NEVER won the SEC but we have been competitive. I am just wishing to be competitive at this point in time.
What do you think Razorback fans would think if Bryan Harsin of Bosie State was hired.
Was Arkansas St's HC for a year before heading to Boise
What I think is against him is only 3 years in south, 2 in Texas as an assistant and the one as Ark St's HC.
the rest of coaching career in Northwest

Reactions: miketd1
Blake Anderson Arkansas St's current HC might be a good fit.
He's 31-18 since he was hired to replace Harsin for the 2014 season and has gone to 3 straight bowl games, probably 4 with a 7-3 record this year and one game remaining.

I am predicting Greg Schiano to Arkansas and he will whoop Tennessee whenever they play. The losers in Knoxville can choke on it. Hopefully it plays out.

I'm not sure if Arkansas is a better job than Wash St or West Virginia, but Mike Leach or Holgy would bring the Air Raid offense to Little Rock, and sure as heck entertain the fans with their offenses and press conferences. Plus win more games than Bielema.

Kyle Flood is in Atlanta, You could get him cheap. And he is 2-0 against Arkansas,

Wonder if Gus Malzahn may give Arkansas a look. Despite his success at Auburn he was on the hot seat earlier this month. There were rumors he may look elsewhere and Arkansas seems like a fit. His recent big wins certainly changed his job security for now, but maybe not his feeling that he shouldn't have to deal with the unreasonableness at Auburn despite his success.

He played and coached at Arkansas. His wife was raised in Ft. Smith, Ark. 45 minutes from Fayetteville. He has a LONG history with the state.

Kyle Flood is in Atlanta, You could get him cheap. And he is 2-0 against Arkansas,

That hurt!
I'm not sure if Arkansas is a better job than Wash St or West Virginia, but Mike Leach or Holgy would bring the Air Raid offense to Little Rock, and sure as heck entertain the fans with their offenses and press conferences. Plus win more games than Bielema.

Fayetteville is where the University of Arkansas is located. Approximately 200 Miles NW of Little Rock.

I think you or I could win more games than Bielima!

Reactions: Knight Shift
What do you think Razorback fans would think if Bryan Harsin of Bosie State was hired.
Was Arkansas St's HC for a year before heading to Boise
What I think is against him is only 3 years in south, 2 in Texas as an assistant and the one as Ark St's HC.
the rest of coaching career in Northwest

I don’t think the University would hire him, but I have been proven wrong many times in the past, at least according to my wife.

ADVERTISEMENT