ADVERTISEMENT

New Commit for 23- Colin Zeller - M/A Haverford

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Great to break into that school. They produce a lot of talent. This kid is no exception. Fast lefty with size. he will fit in well with our offense. He can play up top or from behind. As expected, our recruiting is hitting new levels with our success.

We are recruiting kids from the best prep schools in Md. and Philly now. More NJ prep school kids will follow at some point after we keep winning.

Reactions: Leonard23
Cali or anyone else, I can hold my own watching football tape because I have much more experience with it. And I have been around lax enough the last several years with my son to appreciate a lot of the nuances but the one thing I still have trouble assessing is speed from a 3-4 minute highlight clip. This tape didnt have any good clips of him in transition either so I can't tell. Unlike football tape, are there measurables posted anywhere with lax recruits? Shuttle times, 40s, HT/WT, shot speed, etc? It would be interesting to know more about what D1 speed and quickness norms look like on paper. My sons club is starting a measurables program that will test each kid twice per year in various movements and I am eager to see that aspect of the club take off.

Last edited:
I am not aware of that though I’m positive these kids are testing. When I see tape on a kid like this, granted it’s highlight stuff, I look at his size, and how quick he is, meaning can he get separation quickly which I see. I also see he can shoot. He’s also versatile and can play up top or behind. Brecht loves athletes and this kid seems pretty obviously one to me. I know very little about him but I wouldn’t be surprised if he played another sport.

Cali or anyone else, I can hold my own watching football tape because I have much more experience with it. And I have been around lax enough the last several years with my son to appreciate a lot of the nuances but the one thing I still have trouble assessing is speed from a 3-4 minute highlight clip. This tape didnt have any good clips of him in transition either so I can't tell. Unlike football tape, are there measurables posted anywhere with lax recruits? Shuttle times, 40s, HT/WT, shot speed, etc? It would be interesting to know more about what D1 speed and quickness norms look like on paper. My sons club is starting a measurables program that will test each kid twice per year in various movements and I am eager to see that aspect of the club take off.

Never seen shot speed measured for HS recruiting. And the 40s I've seen are usually a product of also playing football.

Grant Ament as a contact person? Is he coaching at Haverford?

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Never seen shot speed measured for HS recruiting. And the 40s I've seen are usually a product of also playing football.

Grant Ament as a contact person? Is he coaching at Haverford?
So do college staffs use in person scouting and film exclusively? No metrics ?

So do college staffs use in person scouting and film exclusively? No metrics ?

I don't know about exclusive. Obviously guys like Connor Kirst and Mitch Bartolo present metrics when they walk on the field. They do put a lot of weight on clubs and All-Star games. I'm sure Cali has a good take on this. The one thing I've never heard of, which doesn't mean it does not happen, is measuring shot speed.

I don't know about exclusive. Obviously guys like Connor Kirst and Mitch Bartolo present metrics when they walk on the field. They do put a lot of weight on clubs and All-Star games. I'm sure Cali has a good take on this. The one thing I've never heard of, which doesn't mean it does not happen, is measuring shot speed.
You'd think they would. They could use a radar gun like pitchers in baseball do.

Agree. I'm a firm believer that you can play or you can't and metrics be damned BUT the eyeball test is most definitely not the bottom line either. With scholarship money at stake and crowded roster spots up for grabs I'd be all over shuttle times in lax. It's such a shooters game today too so shot speed as well. The only time I could see a 40 being useful is for middies in transition but I'd want that too.

Agree. I'm a firm believer that you can play or you can't and metrics be damned BUT the eyeball test is most definitely not the bottom line either. With scholarship money at stake and crowded roster spots up for grabs I'd be all over shuttle times in lax. It's such a shooters game today too so shot speed as well. The only time I could see a 40 being useful is for middies in transition but I'd want that too.

Shot speed is important but placement and changing levels is at least as important. Can't measure that with a gun. I agree 40 speed is most relevant at midfield. And quickness, that first step and first 15 yards, would be more important.

Shot speed is important but placement and changing levels is at least as important. Can't measure that with a gun. I agree 40 speed is most relevant at midfield. And quickness, that first step and first 15 yards, would be more important.
Again, much like a pitcher in baseball. MLB hitters can hit 100 mph with no movement, for example, much like lax goalies at the D1 level can stop 100 mph shots with no movement.

I know they look at that when in college. I’m sure some hs do it but definitely not all.

It’s less needed in lacrosse imo. Football is so stop and start. They don’t play nearly as many games and in the off season they aren’t even in pads. Metrics is all you have.

Lacrosse is played often. The kids are strapping it up all year. You are seeing it all in real time numerous x. It’s very obvious if a kid can shoot or if they are fast, and you are seeing it where it matters. In game.

I’d be more interested in it for the gains information, which in college, you are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT