ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling New FLO rankings feature a new face

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
EOQAwUbXsAEtsBR

I think Alvarez at 11 is fair. We’ve all been debating whether or not he’s an AA. 11 is a spot that reflects the potential to get there but he’s no guarantee.

Nice to see Janzer ranked. Been expecting that for a while.

I think it's slightly lower than I expected but ultimately fair at this point. I know the Flo guys put a lot of stock into people with more proven track records over time which allows them to "absorb" some loses and not move in the ranking significantly. He is still the highest ranked freshman who has a chance to face #4, #5, #8 in the regular season and potentially some combination of #1, #2, and #3 in the B1G tournament. If he keeps winning, the rankings will take care of themselves.

As a team, RU moved up 2 spots in the NWCA polls to #22 this week. The Cornell match should be interesting on Friday, with Ashnault/Suriano getting their NC rings and their NC banners raised at the RAC.

Reactions: R U Crazy
Those rankings are fair. Alvarez needs to prove himself some more. Let's see how he does this weekend. He has 2 big matches. If he wins them both, he will be in top 5. If he splits, he will be in top 8. If he loses both, will probably remain around # 11.

The next ranking that matters is the seeding for the Big Ten tourney....everything between now and then just doesn't really matter.

On Intermat Alvarez is #9 with the following in front of him: Gross, Desanto, Bravo-Young, Tucker, Rivera, Phillipi, Piotrowski, Bridges.

As a freshman with wins over Philippi and Orrine (20) and losses to 37, 38, 80 and the UPJ kid, who would you move him above?

Bridges is 23-3, with losses to Tucker (2x) and 21.
Piotrowski is 15-2, with losses to Desanto and Phillipi.
Philippi is 15-1, with the loss to Alvarez, but wins over Piotrowski, 16, 20 and 22 (2x).

I'm not sure how, right now, he'd be ranked higher. Keep beating the guys in front of you and you'll move up, which he has been doing.

ADVERTISEMENT