ADVERTISEMENT

New Hampshire spread that beat us in 2004, 35-24

ruready4somefootball

Heisman Winner
Nov 10, 2003
What type of spread was it, and how good was their 1AA QB that the defensive genius Schiano couldn't figure out. I believe CL should be at least as good as that kid,his name I'm thinking was Sanchez,right? A legit D1 QB with targets all over the field doesn't have to throw 15 and 20yd outs. He just has to make quick reads and be able to throw 10 yd passes in small spaces. I think Chris can do this and I could see why a big armed QB like Rettig make not be a good fit in this offense.

I'll be pulling for CL, but we would be extremely happy if he is half as effective as Santos. The kid was undersized, but he was terrific. I'm still have nightmares about that game.

Chip Kelly was a pioneer with that offense. The Oregon head coach whose name I forgot brought him in and the Ducks became a major force in college football...Kelly should have stayed with the Ducks. He probably would have won a national championship.

Reactions: MozRU
Chip Kelly was a pioneer with that offense. The Oregon head coach whose name I forgot brought him in and the Ducks became a major force in college football...Kelly should have stayed with the Ducks. He probably would have won a national championship.

Mike Bellotti. But to be fair, Oregon was already trending up. They had won the Fiesta Bowl after the 2001 season and finished 2nd in the final polls. Also, they have gotten miles better QB play then us, even before Kelly.

Losing that game at home after upsetting Michigan State was an absolute kick in the nuts. No one knew it at the time, but UNH's offense was five years ahead of its time. They had a mobile QB Ricky Santos who screened us to death with one bubble screen after another and our defense was reeling the entire game. We eventually split our backers out wide to support the corners and then we saw the precursor of the inside zone read that Kelly perfected at Oregon. It was a long afternoon in Piscataway.

Santos played very well that day. Similar to how Chas Dodd looked at times his frosh yr @ RU; fearless, decisively making quick reads and very poised.

For the poster who said the offense was 5 yrs ahead of its time, he must not have been there when Tommy Bowden & a Shaun King-led Tulane Green Wave hung 52 on us with the spread in 1998 after we had beaten Pitt the week before. They had two slot-backs under 5'8 and quite literally ran all over the field on us. Both games were hugely disappointing because they were major reality checks. UNH was one of the worst let downs ever and I honestly don't think I had fully recovered until 2007 when Michigan lost to Appalachian St.

For you Newbies... This was worse... almost Deja vu in 2004. They sandwiched beating two #15 teams, MSU and PSU, around a losing effort to unranked Vanderbilt by ONE ! This team could have helped RU turn the proverbial "corner" in 1988.

1 Sep 10, 1988 Sat Rutgers @ (15) Michigan State Big Ten W 17 13
2 Sep 17, 1988 Sat Rutgers Vanderbilt SEC L 30 31 East Rutherford, NJ
3 Sep 24, 1988 Sat Rutgers @ (15) Penn State Ind W 21 16

I was at the Vandy debacle. Too many mistakes, and the coaching staff tried to be fancy with the playbook. Should have run the ball down their throats that day. We lost, they didn't beat us.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Losing that game at home after upsetting Michigan State was an absolute kick in the nuts. No one knew it at the time, but UNH's offense was five years ahead of its time. They had a mobile QB Ricky Santos who screened us to death with one bubble screen after another and our defense was reeling the entire game. We eventually split our backers out wide to support the corners and then we saw the precursor of the inside zone read that Kelly perfected at Oregon. It was a long afternoon in Piscataway.
The offense was very good and maybe ahead of it's time, but several FCS schools were able to figure it out. It's not like UNH was a record setting offense that ran rough shod over 1AA teams.

UNH = UGH! Santos was unbelievable that night, hitting every friggin' receiver in stride, so even when they were covered, they gained yards. I brought a bunch of first time attendees, thinking it would be a relatively easy win and they'd get to see how much fun football was. By halftime, I was upset and in the 3Q I left our group to sit by myself near the top of 224, as I wasn't a fit human being to be around at that time, lol. Still think they should've cancelled the fireworks.

Chip Kelly is an offensive guru but its not like we did not have film on them. IIRC the team just seemed flat and complacent that night, expecting an easy win.

Yes, the fireworks,what a surreal night. Walking out of the stadium, in silence from fans with ther fireworks going off. I've never seen a crowd so shocked after any sporting event,lol.
The Flipper Anderson game comes to mind for those Giants fans who were at both.

Chip Kelly is an offensive guru but its not like we did not have film on them. IIRC the team just seemed flat and complacent that night, expecting an easy win.
Same with the coaching staff.

Reactions: cicero grimes
The Kent State Massacre at Homecoming was also a game we watched RU get lit up by a lesser team's spread offense, then silently watched fireworks afterwards.

We need to stop doing that.

I love Ryan Hart, but I had to bust his chops about it in the Yellow Lot a few years ago on this quote hours after the Michigan State win - along the lines, "We'll build from here. Next week (UNH), we'll get the second team guys in and build some depth."

I knew reading that quote in the Courier Monday morning, we were going to lose.

That loss broke my heart. I remember feeling so broken up drinking my beer in Yellow that night with the fire works going off.

Last edited:
UNH = UGH! Santos was unbelievable that night, hitting every friggin' receiver in stride, so even when they were covered, they gained yards. I brought a bunch of first time attendees, thinking it would be a relatively easy win and they'd get to see how much fun football was. By halftime, I was upset and in the 3Q I left our group to sit by myself near the top of 224, as I wasn't a fit human being to be around at that time, lol. Still think they should've cancelled the fireworks.
Did the exact same thing in 2012. Convinced a bunch of alumni to go to homecoming and check out the #18 ranked Scarlet Knights as they beat down on lowly Kent State.

Only the opposite happened.

Ouch.

What type of spread was it, and how good was their 1AA QB that the defensive genius Schiano couldn't figure out. I believe CL should be at least as good as that kid,his name I'm thinking was Sanchez,right? A legit D1 QB with targets all over the field doesn't have to throw 15 and 20yd outs. He just has to make quick reads and be able to throw 10 yd passes in small spaces. I think Chris can do this and I could see why a big armed QB like Rettig make not be a good fit in this offense.[/QUO in okTE]

1) the QB's name was Ricky "F#$%"ng" Santos.
2) It was a poor MSU team in 2004. The QB (Dowdell) was below par and they had few if any real stars. That said, Leonard broke one the first play of the game and I don't think we did a thing on offense afterwards.
3) I believe we were shut out in the second half of UNH. We just weren't ready for any sort of expectations. Once the thought of "we can actually lose to these guys" surfaced we were finished.

I love Ryan Hart, but I had to bust his chops about it in the Yellow Lot a few years ago on this quote hours after the Michigan State win - along the lines, "We'll build from here. Next week (UNH), we'll get the second team guys in and build some depth."

I knew reading that quote in the Courier Monday morning, we were going to lose.

That loss broke my heart. I remember feeling so broken up drinking my beer in Yellow that night with the fire works going off.
felt the same way. There are no sure things in RU football. Except maybe pain and frustration.

The Kent State Massacre at Homecoming was also a game we watched RU get lit up by a lesser team's spread offense, then silently watched fireworks afterwards.

We need to stop doing that.

That was as angry as I've ever been leaving that building. Doubts about Flood started to creep in with that game. Little did I know...

FYI - Ricky Santos won the Walter Payton Award in 2006 as the top offensive player in D1-AA.

felt the same way. There are no sure things in RU football. Except maybe pain and frustration.
Its amazing if you talk to older rabid RU Fball fans, that many people remember that quote. Most knew it foretold misery.

The only loss that came close to that UNH feeling was @ Cincy '06. Total trap game and no matter how we prepared, we were going to lose. Kelly had them well coached, jacked up and told the DBs to hold Britt no matter what. Take the 15yrd penatly not the 65yrd TD.

Last edited:
Its amazing if you talk to older rabid RU Fball fans, that many people remember that quote. Most knew it foretold misery.

The only loss that came close to that UNH feeling was @ Cincy '06. Total trap game and not matter how we prepared, we were going to lose. Kelly had them well coached, jacked up and told the DBs to hold Britt no matter what. Take the 15yrd penatly not the 65yrd TD.
Another one that hurt was UL in 2012. Also the Pitt game before that which would have made the UL game meaningless. We turned a season that started great and came with a B1G offer into a UL celebration of their win and their P5 bid. Disgusting.

Another one that hurt was UL in 2012. Also the Pitt game before that which would have made the UL game meaningless. We turned a season that started great and came with a B1G offer into a UL celebration of their win and their P5 bid. Disgusting.
True. The walk out of HPSS after Louisville '12 was like a march of the dead. Just thousands of scarlet clad zombies walking in silence with their heads down. A horrid ending to what looked like a great season at #15 and 7-0. The VT bowl game just put a nice little bow on everything that year.

True. The walk out of HPSS after Louisville '12 was like a march of the dead. Just thousands of scarlet clad zombies walking in silence with their heads down. A horrid ending to what looked like a great season at #15 and 7-0. The VT bowl game just put a nice little bow on everything that year.
Yup. Thanks Kyle.

Yup. Thanks Kyle.
And Tim Wright.

It is ALL about COACHING,given some talent with which to work. That is why I am psyched up about Our potential.IMO we have a bunch of good talent and POSITIVELY have the COACHING to use that talent properly.

The only loss that came close to that UNH feeling was @ Cincy '06. Total trap game and no matter how we prepared, we were going to lose. Kelly had them well coached, jacked up and told the DBs to hold Britt no matter what. Take the 15yrd penatly not the 65yrd TD.

Fact check: Dantonio was the coach for Cincinnati that game...

Santos played very well that day. Similar to how Chas Dodd looked at times his frosh yr @ RU; fearless, decisively making quick reads and very poised.

For the poster who said the offense was 5 yrs ahead of its time, he must not have been there when Tommy Bowden & a Shaun King-led Tulane Green Wave hung 52 on us with the spread in 1998 after we had beaten Pitt the week before. They had two slot-backs under 5'8 and quite literally ran all over the field on us. Both games were hugely disappointing because they were major reality checks. UNH was one of the worst let downs ever and I honestly don't think I had fully recovered until 2007 when Michigan lost to Appalachian St.
I'll never forget watching Shaun King run for a first down on 3rd and about 30 (not 30 yard line. 30 yards for a first down!!!!)

Yes. I don't think I ever saw Wright drop another pass before that one. He hit him in the hands and leading him. It was a perfect pass.
Yes. I don't think I ever saw Wright drop another pass before that one. He hit him in the hands and leading him. It was a perfect pass.

that was not a perfect pass....it was behind Wright....a catch that maybe a 5th year guy playing for it all should make...but a catch he had to twist back for the grab...ball was off target by 18 inches...

that was not a perfect pass....it was behind Wright....a catch that maybe a 5th year guy playing for it all should make...but a catch he had to twist back for the grab...ball was off target by 18 inches...
I disagree. I thought the pass was on target but from my seats the angle could have made it appear so. Anyway, the ball did hit him in the hands and as a receiver you have to catch those.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT