ADVERTISEMENT

New Highrise Proposed in Kirkpatrick st, across from NBPD

I would like to know who is paying $1900 for a studio and $3000 for a two bedroom in New Brunswick. I cannot believe how high the rents are in these luxury sky rises. I'm all for it, I just know I would never pay that to live in downtown New Brunswick.

I would like to know who is paying $1900 for a studio and $3000 for a two bedroom in New Brunswick. I cannot believe how high the rents are in these luxury sky rises. I'm all for it, I just know I would never pay that to live in downtown New Brunswick.

When a 1BR is $3000 for a similar caliber building in JC or Hoboken or $2500 in Morristown, it makes sense.

The NYT piece said 2BRs were going for 3k in Metuchen- trade off a slightly closer commute to NYC and solid schools for NB restaurants and nightlife.

I'd also bet some students these days have parents with $ to pay for these units. Living on campus is not exactly a bargain. That, and I'm sure some J&J employees want to walk to work.

Other thing to consider is that NB is really the hippest area in a sizeable region. Not everyone wants to schlep from North Jersey or the Shore, and New Brunswick IMO is easily cooler than basically every NJ city save definitely Hoboken and JC and maybe Morristown and Asbury, depending on your perspective.

When a 1BR is $3000 for a similar caliber building in JC or Hoboken or $2500 in Morristown, it makes sense.

The NYT piece said 2BRs were going for 3k in Metuchen- trade off a slightly closer commute to NYC and solid schools for NB restaurants and nightlife.

I'd also bet some students these days have parents with $ to pay for these units. Living on campus is not exactly a bargain. That, and I'm sure some J&J employees want to walk to work.

Other thing to consider is that NB is really the hippest area in a sizeable region. Not everyone wants to schlep from North Jersey or the Shore, and New Brunswick IMO is easily cooler than basically every NJ city save definitely Hoboken and JC and maybe Morristown and Asbury, depending on your perspective.

I'm about as pro-NB and RU as it gets and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone refer to New Brunswick as "hip". Pretty far from it once you're outside of the age of 22. Even alumni aren't flocking back for a weekend show at the theatre or dinner or anything. It most definitely has the potential, but many parts still are too "run down" and it lacks that really cool couple of bars that draw in out of towners. All those other small cities you mentioned have several of those type of bars/restaurants to draw people in from pretty good distances.

Again .. all the right pieces are there for NB. It's just a matter of literally, visually, cleaning the streets and store fronts up a little bit.

I'm about as pro-NB and RU as it gets and I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone refer to New Brunswick as "hip". Pretty far from it once you're outside of the age of 22. Even alumni aren't flocking back for a weekend show at the theatre or dinner or anything. It most definitely has the potential, but many parts still are too "run down" and it lacks that really cool couple of bars that draw in out of towners. All those other small cities you mentioned have several of those type of bars/restaurants to draw people in from pretty good distances.

Again .. all the right pieces are there for NB. It's just a matter of literally, visually, cleaning the streets and store fronts up a little bit.

I don't think you have ventured down to George St then. Students only know about the Easton Ave bar scene but there is another world on the other side of the train tracks. NB has a fantastic array of bars and places to eat over there and I'm 30.

I don't think you have ventured down to George St then. Students only know about the Easton Ave bar scene but there is another world on the other side of the train tracks. NB has a fantastic array of bars and places to eat over there and I'm 30.

I'm aware of it and have been. But its not a "hip" enough draw to people just to come to NB for a night. It's doing well for the J&J and attorney happy hour crowd. But its not pulling in that 25-35 demographic from out of town. Even when my group is in town for a game - we never talk about stopping in at any of those places for a drink. Or think about heading into NB to watch a game or for a social reason. Morristown, Hoboken, Asbury, JC, Princeton, even Ironbound Newark, but not NB. And that's okay .. it doesn't have to be that.

I'm aware of it and have been. But its not a "hip" enough draw to people just to come to NB for a night. It's doing well for the J&J and attorney happy hour crowd. But its not pulling in that 25-35 demographic from out of town. Even when my group is in town for a game - we never talk about stopping in at any of those places for a drink. Or think about heading into NB to watch a game or for a social reason. Morristown, Hoboken, Asbury, JC, Princeton, even Ironbound Newark, but not NB. And that's okay .. it doesn't have to be that.
You prefer Newark over NB to grab a drink, socialize or watch a game? Never.

Ironbound Newark is more "hip" than NB was my point. In general though - the answer is - I don't think of either when making plans with friends.
I never thought of Newark as hip but that's me. After working & going there for other events, I don't view Newark positively & certainly not better than NB. Outside of Rutgers events, I usually take the family to NB for various things & meet friends there sometimes too.

I am talking George Street area for those beyond school age. Some place like Clydes I would prefer nightlife wise to what I have seen in Newark and I rarely hear of people going for a night out in Princeton. I agree some areas are shabby, but so are areas of all the other NJ hip places.

I would also agree that restaurant wise south of Hudson County and Morristown and north of the Shore NB is really it. Newark has great Portuguese food but otherwise I am not sure it is a destination.

New Brunswick has many great restaurants and is really changing and expanding but it's still not a top destination for most new jerseyans. Hopefully that will change soon though.

Even when my group is in town for a game - we never talk about stopping in at any of those places for a drink. Or think about heading into NB to watch a game or for a social reason. Morristown, Hoboken, Asbury, JC, Princeton, even Ironbound Newark, but not NB.

Well that's fairly anecdotal....perhaps you and your friends aren't as hip as you think you are. NB is probably not on the top of many folks' lists but it's a worthwhile destination for many others.

I think we all can agree that it could use some TLC to improve its image and attract even more folks.

Last edited:
Well that's fairly anecdotal....perhaps you are your friends aren't as hip as you think you are. NB is probably not on the top of many folks' lists but it's a worthwhile destination for many others.

I think we all can agree that it could use some TLC to improve its image and attract even more folks.

Agree I’m not quite the barometer for hip. But the point we all agree on is ... NB has all the parts to be a premier NJ small city. Just needs some polish .

I’d love to see it happen for RUs sake. And both the city and the school can mutually help and benefit from each other.

Imagine if they scored the Amazon HQ2 deal. Wow that would be an absolute game changer

New development planned for Bayard Street draws mixed reactions from neighbors

The recently-approved plans for a 20-story mixed use skyscraper on Bayard Street are drawing mixed reactions from neighborhood residents, business owners and landlords. Some look forward to the excitement of a high-rise, others will be displaced and are wondering their next steps.

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/new-b...development-planned-for-bayard-street-draws-m

AerialViewing.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT