ADVERTISEMENT

New Mexico no cupcake

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Article on University of New Mexico spring ball.

http://www.abqjournal.com/744114/lo...ated+posts+-+blogs&utm_campaign=related+posts

Lobos run the ball. Only threw 230 passes last season. Return 10 players on defense who started their bowl game, a 45-37 loss to Arizona. Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez's offense ... zone read, option running, mobile quarterbacks, bubble screens, and spread principles in the passing game. Rutgers offense may look familiar to the Lobos defense.

18s0ny1yz2zojjpg.jpg

With the exception of the Howard game there are no cupcakes on our schedule. As a matter of fact, the perception of RU around the country would suggest that we are the cupcake on most of the other teams schedules. I assume Ash is using that as a motivational factor. Hopefully we play with a serious chip on our shoulders. As for cupcakes, I prefer donuts. Dunkin Donuts Boston Creme, yum!

With the exception of the Howard game there are no cupcakes on our schedule. As a matter of fact, the perception of RU around the country would suggest that we are the cupcake on most of the other teams schedules. I assume Ash is using that as a motivational factor. Hopefully we play with a serious chip on our shoulders. As for cupcakes, I prefer donuts. Dunkin Donuts Boston Creme, yum!
Wow, my favorite too. Meet you at the one is Sea Bright?

Putting all these cute sweetheart responses aside, are we winning this game or is it a reminder that we are starting over as a program and staring at a 2- or 3-win season? Will we need to score 45 points, like Arizona in the bowl game, to win this game?

I'm sure not going to suggest from out here in Mountain West country that UNM is any good, but they have improved dramatically from their recent cupcake days. An expected "W" to be sure, but not automatic by any means.

Last year's season-ending Sagarin rankings have #98 Rutgers (61.69) beating #107 New Mexico (59.46) by less than a field goal on a neutral field and by less than a TD at HPSS.

Last year's season-ending Sagarin rankings have #98 Rutgers (61.69) beating #107 New Mexico (59.46) by less than a field goal on a neutral field and by less than a TD at HPSS.

Ancient history for both programs methinks.

Besides Howard, there are no easy wins. Plain and simple.

But, there are winnable games, and this is still one of them.

When we were in the AAC we had about 4-5 gimmes a year. Usually 2-3 OOC and a few in conference. Now playing 9 tough conference games and no more FCS patsies, it's going to be very challenging to make a Bowl, at least for the next 4 years.

Flip side is the terrific opponents to watch . Double edged sword, no doubt.

Wow, my favorite too. Meet you at the one is Sea Bright?
Glad to do it. I will get back to you on it.

Drive a little bit to this one....The Macaroon Shop in Avon. Don't let the name fool you, a lot more than just macaroons.

And thank me later.

Irony here is both teams are perceived as the bottom dwellers of college football.
UoNM even more so then Rutgers. BUT with Coach Bob Davie in his 5 year, the lobos are going to be good sleeper team, that will be better then the sportscasters will project them. Or even Vegas will show.
The only good news is the throw <18 passes/game. They like to run a lot. this will be our strength position if we can make them pass (hi INT rate) we should prevail.

Reactions: MoobyCow
They're a tough team to figure out. On offense, the best comparison would likely be Navy when Jordan is at QB. You need to stop him or they'll burn you. Apodaca is the throwing QB. They only completed 52% of their passes but averaged more than 15 yards per completion.

Their defense has some things they do very well and some they don't. I know their best DB last year lost his life tragically in an auto accident a week after their Bowl Game. As was stated they return a lot of starters.

Irony here is both teams are perceived as the bottom dwellers of college football.
UoNM even more so then Rutgers. BUT with Coach Bob Davie in his 5 year, the lobos are going to be good sleeper team, that will be better then the sportscasters will project them. Or even Vegas will show.
The only good news is the throw <18 passes/game. They like to run a lot. this will be our strength position if we can make them pass (hi INT rate) we should prevail.
And their coach is considered a mentor of the mentor of our coach.

I know that place, it's been there forever, but don't think I ever stopped. Not really into sweets. Do they have Boston creme filled macaroons?
As I said more than macaroons.

I got a Boston creme doughnut there yesterday after Mass. It was pretty darn good.

As I said more than macaroons.

I got a Boston creme doughnut there yesterday after Mass. It was pretty darn good.
Will have to hit it on the way to Belmar. That's probably the last old time bakery left in the area with the disappearance of Freedmans, which was pretty sketchy in their final few years.

Dpgru said:
Amazing how these threads take on a life of there own
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's just the board's collective ADD. With the season still so far away and somewhat of a lull in recruiting news, we tend to go all over the place.

8f5dcf2fdfa82f4192163d2fedc154c15111aa26f55c980459babaedaddeb559.jpg

This.
The fact that the Lobos have lost their top running back (#6 Jhurell Presley) to graduation is going to hurt them.
Their QB Jordan is the wildcard. He was their 3rd leading rusher last season with 807 yards. Stop him and RU wins the game easily.

ADVERTISEMENT