ADVERTISEMENT

New NCAA draft rule

I think there was technically an existing loophole that did the same thing, but I think Corey hired an agent which made it impossible

Listening on XM it sounds like one of the hang ups on this new rule is you have to be declared an “elite” type player by USA basketball to qualify for reinstatement. It may not be every player who declares is eligible for reinstatement. Sounds like the NBA has to approve of the rule as well.

Some Duke and UNC players must be coming out early this year. Thanks NCAA.

not sure I follow all of this...do players have to return any money they receive from agents? do they have to be continuously enrolled in school? and appears the school will now need to keep a roster open on the chance a player may want to return for quite a while (like if Sanders was able to do this, maybe we couldn't aggressively look to fill it with Hyatt or another player)

not sure I follow all of this...do players have to return any money they receive from agents? do they have to be continuously enrolled in school? and appears the school will now need to keep a roster open on the chance a player may want to return for quite a while (like if Sanders was able to do this, maybe we couldn't aggressively look to fill it with Hyatt or another player)

Just when I thought this will be a step in the right direction, it seems like it could backfire on the NCAA in spectacular fashion.

Reactions: soundcrib
I view this as nothing more than good on the optics

NCAA didn't like the looks of these violations-----so they made them legal

How players make " Elite " status will be a joke----USA Basketball----as if no one knows who that means.

I view this as nothing more than good on the optics

NCAA didn't like the looks of these violations-----so they made them legal

How players make " Elite " status will be a joke----USA Basketball----as if no one knows who that means.
LOL they're counting on the average fan not knowing. After all it's "USA Basketball" so it must be legit/bias free.

I believe the rule says you have to be invited to combine and undrafted to come back.....so very limited and Corey would not have been able to come back even if rule was retro

Listening on XM it sounds like one of the hang ups on this new rule is you have to be declared an “elite” type player by USA basketball to qualify for reinstatement. It may not be every player who declares is eligible for reinstatement. Sounds like the NBA has to approve of the rule as well.
That's a pretty big hang-up, talent evaluation is often a crap shoot.

Listening on XM it sounds like one of the hang ups on this new rule is you have to be declared an “elite” type player by Nike to qualify for reinstatement. It may not be every player who declares is eligible for reinstatement. Sounds like Nike has to approve of the rule as well.
FIFY

Is the NCAA agent certification new? If so, does that come with a fee? I’m smelling a money grab.
Maybe and maybe not.

My guess is that if an agent is certified by the NBAPA then they will get the green light from the NCAA.

The NCAA has a certification process for scouting services. To apply for certification you don't have to pay a fee.

Maybe and maybe not.

My guess is that if an agent is certified by the NBAPA then they will get the green light from the NCAA.

The NCAA has a certification process for scouting services. To apply for certification you don't have to pay a fee.
Thanks Russ

Reactions: Russ Wood
ADVERTISEMENT