ADVERTISEMENT

New NCAA Proposals: Satellite camps and Spring Break Trips:

Just hope that the language is not so sweeping that it eliminates the long standing traditions of winter training trips for college swimming & diving teams ... southern spring training trips for baseball and others .

Reactions: rubaseball78
Just hope that the language is not so sweeping that it eliminates the long standing traditions of winter training trips for college swimming & diving teams ... southern spring training trips for baseball and others .

Given the comments in the linked article (comparing it to a baseball team going to the Dominican Republic on Thanksgiving) I think they are limiting it to football. Otherwise it would be devastating to baseball and lacrosse teams from the Northeast going south to get away from the snow.

This is strictly a football thing.
I like the April to June official visit part of the new setup. That helps schools like Nebraska that are farther from recruits than schools that kids can drive to in an hour. That's always been a problem for NU was kids couldn't afford an unofficial visit. With what NU does for Spring game stuff if they can host official visitors for it, it will definitely help boost recruiting.
I'm not sure about the rule that a player cannot attend a camp while on an official visit. I see why they have it but not sure it's a game changer for stuff.
The 10 day window to have camps is strange. Don't think that helps the smaller programs any because the players will all just attend the big school camps and not the others because that's all they have time for and they want to be seen by the big schools.
I think it's stupid to do away with satellite camps. I think if a school wants to spend their resources on them, let them. It fits a little in the "every school gets a trophy" thing.

Given the comments in the linked article (comparing it to a baseball team going to the Dominican Republic on Thanksgiving) I think they are limiting it to football. Otherwise it would be devastating to baseball and lacrosse teams from the Northeast going south to get away from the snow.

Hope you are correct - it would not be sensible to have it hit other sports - but this is the NCAA - and it would not be the first time that some action to remedy an issue in major revenue sports - knocked some more 'minor' sports in the kisser.

This is strictly a football thing.
I like the April to June official visit part of the new setup. That helps schools like Nebraska that are farther from recruits than schools that kids can drive to in an hour. That's always been a problem for NU was kids couldn't afford an unofficial visit. With what NU does for Spring game stuff if they can host official visitors for it, it will definitely help boost recruiting.
I'm not sure about the rule that a player cannot attend a camp while on an official visit. I see why they have it but not sure it's a game changer for stuff.
The 10 day window to have camps is strange. Don't think that helps the smaller programs any because the players will all just attend the big school camps and not the others because that's all they have time for and they want to be seen by the big schools.
I think it's stupid to do away with satellite camps. I think if a school wants to spend their resources on them, let them. It fits a little in the "every school gets a trophy" thing.

- Have to wonder how schools will deal with this one challenge / matter to resolve in the case of visits - the earlier in the process that "official visits" can occur, the more difficult it will be to assess the recruit's qualifying credentials - transcript review / GPA / SAT -ACT information - it becomes a guessing game - so will there be an increase in the number of visits by recruits that a college is permitted to have?

looking at the politics of the NCAA I expect this ban on spring break trips to pass.

The schools in the warm states don't want the northern schools coming in to poach recruits:
Fl schools: Miami, FSU, Florida, USF, UCF, FIU, FAU
TX school: Texas, TAMU, TX Tech, Baylor, TCU, Rice, Houston, etc...
you also have CA schools (a bunch) in a similar situation.

The G5 northern schools may be mixed. They don't have the money to compete for trips south but if a Michigan takes a FL kid over a local kid then that kid may drop to a W Michigan / MAC school.

The P5 schools with smaller budgets may be against it too. Rutgers for example doesn't have the money to compete with Harbaugh for FL trips and may not want the strong to get stronger where they run up scores 78-0 every year.

Then again it can be a G5 vs P5 thing
The P5 has 64 schools plus Notre Dame for 65

This is bad for us cold weather schools.

But then again, we don't have the money to do these trips and we don't recruit down south or in Florida anyway. I think going forward we will see a much more limited footprint of NJ, NY and CT.

- Have to wonder how schools will deal with this one challenge / matter to resolve in the case of visits - the earlier in the process that "official visits" can occur, the more difficult it will be to assess the recruit's qualifying credentials - transcript review / GPA / SAT -ACT information - it becomes a guessing game - so will there be an increase in the number of visits by recruits that a college is permitted to have?

I agree on the qualifying questions. A lot of schools won't let you take an official visit until you are qualified. It used to be that you couldn't take an official visit until after you had take the SAT/ACT test. The NCAA dropped that rule and a lot of schools dropped the "have to be qualified" stuff then as well. They didn't approve the June signing day because of kids qualifying issues as well as how many top players would not play football their Sr year so they didn't get hurt because they already signed with a school. That precident has been set for bowl games now so the high schools would follow if given the chance.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out and if or who benefits from this.

I have a feeling that rule changes as a result of something Harbaugh/Michigan does are going to be a recurring theme at the annual NCAA meetings. They'll probably have a permanent line item in the agenda. JH seems to do things that are not explicitly against the rules because the rule makers don't think anyone is crazy enough to do those things to make them against the rules.

I didn't read that as a 10-day window. I thought it meant 10 days total of camps. So a school can have five 2-day camps or a couple of 3-day and a couple of 2-day camps.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Satellite camps. 10th coach. A football complex that looks like a 5-star hotel.

We are never going to win that arms race.

Other than playing time, I wonder what our pitch is -- how do we differentiate ourselves from say Maryland or Northwestern?

I got the sense that we used to pitch academic achievement and we had the data/results that seemed to back it up. I wonder if that's still the case.

I didn't read that as a 10-day window. I thought it meant 10 days total of camps. So a school can have five 2-day camps or a couple of 3-day and a couple of 2-day camps.
This is correct. They are allowing ten days in total, they do not have to be consecutive

this just passed :
no football activity between 900pm and 600am other then games
its the end of 500am workouts for all power 5 schools.
Im sure kids are happy..

Reactions: LadyRU09
this just passed :
no football activity between 900pm and 600am other then games
its the end of 500am workouts for all power 5 schools.
Im sure kids are happy..

What time were our practices starting?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT