ADVERTISEMENT

New President look ahead

Piece is mostly speculation. If Phoebe Haddon becomes President, that would be a total disaster; I know her from Camden. (I don't think she'll get far; there will be negative comments from her deanship at University of Baltimore's school of law). I doubt Wendell Pritchett would be interested. He is committed to living in Philadelphia, and that probably doesn't work for a President in New Brunswick. Pritchett knows the University bureaucracy well from having been chancellor at Camden, where he felt frustrated by the New Brunswick administration's veto of initiatives that Pritchett thought would help the campus. I don't know Molloy (NB chancellor). Nancy Cantor at Newark used to be a university president (Syracuse?) and she has that going for her. I don't know any of the Big Ten administrators being considered, but their positions sound impressive. My feeling is that this job is *not* a lock for a minority or female candidate, but a lot of consideration will be giving to such a candidate.

Pritchett would be great, if he would take it, but I have to say that, with the exception of the Indiana, OSU, and Maryland provosts, I'd be delighted with any of the B1G candidates. Nancy Cantor's impressive, but too old, imho, and I don't want an internal hire like Molloy. I'd also be happy with Rafael Reif or Marc Tessier-Lavigne, and was surprised to see them not listed...

Last edited:
My first thoughts on the general profile:

Don't really want someone promotable within RU. Some new eyes are in order. I wouldn't rule them out, but would look hard elsewhere.

I would want a current B1G (or similar) provost or a current president at a significant, if smaller, research institution.

Preferably a public one.

My first thoughts on the general profile:

Don't really want someone promotable within RU. Some new eyes are in order. I wouldn't rule them out, but would look hard elsewhere.

I would want a current B1G (or similar) provost or a current president at a significant, if smaller, research institution.

Preferably a public one.
Wisconsin

We should hire someone outside the University. From that list, Holloway looks to be the strongest, as he has the academic and athletics backgrounds (played football at Stanford) needed here to take us to the next level. After that, Nicholas Jones, McPheron, and Philbert. Pass on Cantor, wasn't she pushed out at Cuse?

Piece is mostly speculation. If Phoebe Haddon becomes President, that would be a total disaster; I know her from Camden. (I don't think she'll get far; there will be negative comments from her deanship at University of Baltimore's school of law). I doubt Wendell Pritchett would be interested. He is committed to living in Philadelphia, and that probably doesn't work for a President in New Brunswick. Pritchett knows the University bureaucracy well from having been chancellor at Camden, where he felt frustrated by the New Brunswick administration's veto of initiatives that Pritchett thought would help the campus. I don't know Molloy (NB chancellor). Nancy Cantor at Newark used to be a university president (Syracuse?) and she has that going for her. I don't know any of the Big Ten administrators being considered, but their positions sound impressive. My feeling is that this job is *not* a lock for a minority or female candidate, but a lot of consideration will be giving to such a candidate.

This "don't you know who I am" video of Cantor should doom her candidacy, along with the fact that she parades around the Newark campus in a limo:

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
We should hire someone outside the University. From that list, Holloway looks to be the strongest, as he has the academic and athletics backgrounds (played football at Stanford) needed here to take us to the next level. After that, Nicholas Jones, McPheron, and Philbert. Pass on Cantor, wasn't she pushed out at Cuse?
Holloway it is!

My only hesitancy about him is that he's never been a student, faculty member, or administrator at a public university. It's different here than in the private sector -- here the president has to deal with the governor and state legislature. OTOH, coming from the private sector means he understands the importance of creating a student-friendly environment (so that students will contribute when they are alums), of fund-raising, and of not feeling bound to do something just because other public universities do it. And keep in mind that Barchi, who has been largely successful, also had no public university experience. The only recent president who did was McCormick; and while I think McCormick was a good president, he was not hugely outstanding.

My only hesitancy about him is that he's never been a student, faculty member, or administrator at a public university. It's different here than in the private sector -- here the president has to deal with the governor and state legislature. OTOH, coming from the private sector means he understands the importance of creating a student-friendly environment (so that students will contribute when they are alums), of fund-raising, and of not feeling bound to do something just because other public universities do it. And keep in mind that Barchi, who has been largely successful, also had no public university experience. The only recent president who did was McCormick; and while I think McCormick was a good president, he was not hugely outstanding.
:ThumbsUp

As I said to my dad, I love everything about this hire and to be able to say that about any decision this school makes is shocking. To be able to say that about the most important decision the BOG has had / will have to make is a borderline miracle. I’m extremely excited to welcome Dr. Holloway.

Still a valid point, but it seems he started his academic career at UC San Diego
NY TimesRU hires President

Reactions: NotInRHouse

Was McC a big back slapper with the state pols? I was in school when he was President, I don't really remember hearing about it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

Was McC a big back slapper with the state pols? I was in school when he was President, I don't really remember hearing about it, but it doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

No, he was not a good back slapper. In fact, he got in trouble with Governor Corzine for questioning the need for budget cutbacks. I did see the two of them make nice later, but I'm sure Corzine had a bad impression of McC.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
CamdenLaw,
Do you know if construction has started on the new Business School building ? If not, what is the date ?

CamdenLaw,
Do you know if construction has started on the new Business School building ? If not, what is the date ?

I don't think so. (Today I was at the intersection where it's supposed to be built.) I don't know the timetable. To be honest, I'm not at all sure a new building is justified; I don't think enrollment in the school is very high, and AFAIK it's still all part-timers.

^^
Construction not started yet but the building is still in the plans for the campus. There is a shortage of classrooms on the campus so this building is probably the next big Camden project.

^^
Construction not started yet but the building is still in the plans for the campus. There is a shortage of classrooms on the campus so this building is probably the next big Camden project.

Is the school going to have daytime classes? If not, is there now a shortage of classroom in the evening?It doesn't seem to me there is, but I could be wrong. Note also that the school must be assuming that the new building will result in scads of new applications so that the size of the school can be expanded without dropping standards. If not,the new building will be a drag on the school's fiscal position.

Surprised with this appointment. What happened to the need for a President with experience in Medicine/Allied Health Sciences?

Chicago Business Crains
Northwestern provost nabbed by Rutgers
"One high-profile Chicagoan who has connections to both schools was instrumental in the Rutgers hiring. Former Deputy Mayor of Chicago Mark Angelson chairs the Rutgers board of governors and headed the presidential search committee that tapped Holloway. Angelson is also a life trustee at Northwestern."

I have now read Holloway's book, Jim Crow Wisdom. It consists largely on his recollections of growing up as an upper-class black, the stories his family told him, and his reflections on both. I found it worth reading to get a better sense of the discrimination and humiliations even upper-class blacks go through. It wouldn't hurt anyone to read the book, even someone, like me, who is not convinced of some of his conclusions.

I didn't think it was a particularly "scholarly" book (although works based on personal narrative have become very well accepted in the academy); my hunch is that Holloway's earlier book, Confronting the Veil, is more of a traditional work of scholarship: there he profiles three prominent black social scientists at Howard between the world wars that Holloway thinks were the cutting edge of black radicalism in academe.

Holloway certainly supports black studies and similar programs, and probably will put stress on achieving greater racial diversity (i.e. more black and Hispanic students). He does not seem to be a fan of political correctness.

I think that probably his academic record of publication is less important than what he was like as an administrator. He was a house master at Yale, and so he got to work with a lot of students; that's all to the good. I don't know at all what he was like as a dean at Yale or a provost at Northwestern. He is certainly not a militant by ideology or by personality. I think he is a little young for the Rutgers job, but may just be because I am significantly older than he is.

He may turn out to be a home run hire, and he may turn out to be a bomb. Let's give the guy a chance to show us which he is.

P.S. I"ve ordered Confronting the Veil from Amazon Kindle -- I got it at a very cheap price -- , but it's not in my immediate reading plans.

Last edited:
Thanks for your post @camdenlawprof

I think he is a little young for the Rutgers job, but may just be because I am significantly older than he is.

My thoughts are not so much young in terms of age but rather that I'd have preferred to see him have a longer tenure as Provost. A bit difficult to demonstrate a track record in that specific role in only 2+ years. That said, I agree with the following....

He may turn out to be a home run hire, and he may turn out to be a bomb. Let's give the guy a chance to show us which he is.

Would you suggest reading the two books in the same order that you will, or reverse, or doesn't really matter?

Thanks for your post @camdenlawprof

My thoughts are not so much young in terms of age but rather that I'd have preferred to see him have a longer tenure as Provost. A bit difficult to demonstrate a track record in that specific role in only 2+ years. That said, I agree with the following....

Would you suggest reading the two books in the same order that you will, or reverse, or doesn't really matter?

I think it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for him to impress you with his research and analytic abilities, probably you'd want the first book first. If you're looking for a sense of what he is like as a person, try the second book first. I can say (and should have said) that the second book is well-written; he's not jargon-y at all the way many people in the ethnic studies world tend to be.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Thanks for the observation. Admittedly, I have little to no exposure to the ethnic studies arena so I had no idea that it can often be jargon-y.

He has the advantage of having been trained as an historian, not a social scientist. Historians tend to speak and write much more clearly, perhaps because there is more substance to their field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT