ADVERTISEMENT

NEW Radio Station Added To Broadcast Rutgers Games

The Rutgers IMG Sports Network today announced its radio coverage for the 2016 football season and welcomed a new affiliate, WNJE 920-AM (Fox Sports 920 The Jersey). The network - which also extended its agreement with 50,000 watt, WOR 710-AM in New York City through the 2018-19 football and basketball seasons - will continue to be broadcast by flagship WCTC 1450-AM in Central Jersey, which has aired Rutgers football games since 1947 and WENJ (97.3 FM ESPN South Jersey) in Atlantic City.

Fans can also listen to the Rutgers IMG Sports Network on their mobile devices via the TuneIn radio app.

WNJE 920-AM will carry the pregame and postgame shows in addition to broadcasting each Rutgers football game. The station broadcasts from Trenton with coverage into southern New Jersey and Bucks County, Pa.

The Rutgers IMG Sports Network will also introduce a “Rutgers Report” segment on WOR 710-AM during its afternoon drive show that will take place weekly during football and basketball season.

Play-by-play announcer Chris Carlin is in his 16th year with the Rutgers IMG Sports Network, including his 13th as the play-by-play voice of Rutgers football. He is also the play-by-play voice for Rutgers basketball and appears on SNY, including serving as co-host of “Loud Mouths." In addition, Carlin serves as co-host of daily show "Playbook" on SiriusXM College Sports Nation.

Carlin is joined in the booth by former Rutgers standout quarterback Ray Lucas who begins his eighth season as the color analyst. Anthony “Fooch” Fucilli returns for his 13th season as the sideline reporter.

Marc Malusis is back for his eight year as the pre-game and post-game host and will be joined for the second-consecutive season by former team captain and Big Ten Medal of Honor recipient David Milewski. The "Allstate Insurance Rutgers Countdown to Kickoff" starts one hour prior to kickoff while "The Rutgers Fifth Quarter Show" stays on the air for approximately one hour following the game.

Former Rutgers defensive lineman Eric LeGrand begins his sixth season on the Rutgers IMG Sports Network. LeGrand will provide insight and commentary on the pre-game show, halftime report and post-game. In addition, LeGrand is a color analyst for home games.

The sad thing is that this could end up being the only way I can follow the game.

The Rutgers IMG Sports Network today announced its radio coverage for the 2016 football season and welcomed a new affiliate, WNJE 920-AM (Fox Sports 920 The Jersey). The network - which also extended its agreement with 50,000 watt, WOR 710-AM in New York City through the 2018-19 football and basketball seasons - will continue to be broadcast by flagship WCTC 1450-AM in Central Jersey, which has aired Rutgers football games since 1947 and WENJ (97.3 FM ESPN South Jersey) in Atlantic City.

Fans can also listen to the Rutgers IMG Sports Network on their mobile devices via the TuneIn radio app.

WNJE 920-AM will carry the pregame and postgame shows in addition to broadcasting each Rutgers football game. The station broadcasts from Trenton with coverage into southern New Jersey and Bucks County, Pa.

The Rutgers IMG Sports Network will also introduce a “Rutgers Report” segment on WOR 710-AM during its afternoon drive show that will take place weekly during football and basketball season.

Play-by-play announcer Chris Carlin is in his 16th year with the Rutgers IMG Sports Network, including his 13th as the play-by-play voice of Rutgers football. He is also the play-by-play voice for Rutgers basketball and appears on SNY, including serving as co-host of “Loud Mouths." In addition, Carlin serves as co-host of daily show "Playbook" on SiriusXM College Sports Nation.

Carlin is joined in the booth by former Rutgers standout quarterback Ray Lucas who begins his eighth season as the color analyst. Anthony “Fooch” Fucilli returns for his 13th season as the sideline reporter.

Marc Malusis is back for his eight year as the pre-game and post-game host and will be joined for the second-consecutive season by former team captain and Big Ten Medal of Honor recipient David Milewski. The "Allstate Insurance Rutgers Countdown to Kickoff" starts one hour prior to kickoff while "The Rutgers Fifth Quarter Show" stays on the air for approximately one hour following the game.

Former Rutgers defensive lineman Eric LeGrand begins his sixth season on the Rutgers IMG Sports Network. LeGrand will provide insight and commentary on the pre-game show, halftime report and post-game. In addition, LeGrand is a color analyst for home games.
The problem with WOR is that they cut to regular programming at a certain time and some of the post game is missed. WCTC can't be heard once over the hill at 287/206N at night. Need a mobile device.

So which station will broadcast the game without the 10 second delay so I can listen while in the stands.

There is always going to be a delay because of FCC regulations, but I've found WCTC to be a few seconds ahead of TV coverage

Many college and pro teams (football and baseball) pay for the time in exchange for the entire commercial inventory, which is then sold by their networks. It's just a different deal than a "standard" barter platform, in which the station retains inventory and sells it on its own.

Notre Dame games would never be on NYC stations were it not for compensation, sometimes more than $12,000 per game.

So which station will broadcast the game without the 10 second delay so I can listen while in the stands.
Perhaps Rutgers/IMG could install a small low power radio transmitter that would work inside the stadium and feed in the LIVE broadcast.

There is always going to be a delay because of FCC regulations, but I've found WCTC to be a few seconds ahead of TV coverage
I understand that the FCC doesn't allow cursing on the radio so most, not all, stations have gone to the 10 second delay. However, years ago, before WOR went "digital" they did broadcast in real time. You are correct that 1450 WCTC does not delay however it's a bit of a challenge to get reception at the stadium. Chris Carlin is fighting to remove the delay but management is scared that Ray Lucas will curse. The FCC f---ing sucks. This is so ridiculous.

I understand that the FCC doesn't allow cursing on the radio so most, not all, stations have gone to the 10 second delay. However, years ago, before WOR went "digital" they did broadcast in real time. You are correct that 1450 WCTC does not delay however it's a bit of a challenge to get reception at the stadium. Chris Carlin is fighting to remove the delay but management is scared that Ray Lucas will curse. The FCC f---ing sucks. This is so ridiculous.

I remember a time when Golden State Warriors games were simulcast so that the radio and TV listeners got the same audio feed simultaneously. The announcer was really good and the games were more exciting on radio than on TV! I guess those days are gone.

Reactions: Ruthinking
I don't listen to Rutgers football games on radio since it does not have a BIG feel to it.

The whole production makes it sound like a high school game.

Also there are no women on the show so it lacks a sorely needed women's point of view.

I don't listen to Rutgers football games on radio since it does not have a BIG feel to it.

Also there are no women on the show so it lacks a sorely needed women's point of view.
Sounds like you need a B1G woman [winking]

Are you kidding me? Give me an example of a women's point of view during a football game? You mean like the color of the uniforms clash? They're playing too rough? What???

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
We will now have TWO stations in southern New Jersey !!! Great to hear---http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082516aad.html
So wait, what's the 2 for South Jerz? I only see 97.3, which is really just a southeast thing. Gotta be in the greater AC area. I work for an advertising agency with offices in Center City, Philadelphia and Egg Harbor Township, NJ. Sometimes I work out of the Egg Harbor office, which is total 97.3 vicinity, but the signal gets soft by the time I'm in the middle of the state, so def. not available in my neck of the woods i.e. South West NJ (Mullica Hill). Down here it is all Philly and Eastern PA stations.

So is there another station I'm missing that serves South Jersey?

So wait, what's the 2 for South Jerz? I only see 97.3, which is really just a southeast thing. Gotta be in the greater AC area. I work for an advertising agency with offices in Center City, Philadelphia and Egg Harbor Township, NJ. Sometimes I work out of the Egg Harbor office, which is total 97.3 vicinity, but the signal gets soft by the time I'm in the middle of the state, so def. not available in my neck of the woods i.e. South West NJ (Mullica Hill). Down here it is all Philly and Eastern PA stations.

So is there another station I'm missing that serves South Jersey?

The Rutgers IMG Sports Network today announced its radio coverage for the 2016 football season and welcomed a new affiliate, WNJE 920-AM (Fox Sports 920 The Jersey).

The Rutgers IMG Sports Network today announced its radio coverage for the 2016 football season and welcomed a new affiliate, WNJE 920-AM (Fox Sports 920 The Jersey).
Oh, that's a South Jersey station? Wow, ok. Had no idea. Thanks Tango, I'll have to check it out.

Oh, that's a South Jersey station? Wow, ok. Had no idea. Thanks Tango, I'll have to check it out.

Just went out to my car, nothing but static. My inlaws live in Bucks County ,PA and it's decently north (and of course) west of us. And Trenton ain't around the corner. I'm exit 2 off the NJTPK so I think I'm just too far south. When they say "southern New Jersey" in their description, I'm thinking that's probably more Burlington County and north of that. Oh well, I was gonna check out their online stream anyway for Tuesday night's show, so all good.

Nothing is worse than a female commentator for Football... Pam Ward anybody?

Just shoot me now. Worst listening experience ever... :uzi::flush:

Reactions: Ruthinking
Nothing is worse than a female commentator for Football... Pam Ward anybody?

Just shoot me now. Worst listening experience ever... :uzi::flush:

I've actually heard a good female commentator or two: I think of Robin Roberts some years ago. The sideline reporters are hired just for their looks so far as I can tell. I predict that as more women become more knowledgeable about football, we will eventually see more female commentators.

Last edited:
Just went out to my car, nothing but static. My inlaws live in Bucks County ,PA and it's decently north (and of course) west of us. And Trenton ain't around the corner. I'm exit 2 off the NJTPK so I think I'm just too far south. When they say "southern New Jersey" in their description, I'm thinking that's probably more Burlington County and north of that. Oh well, I was gonna check out their online stream anyway for Tuesday night's show, so all good.

Exit 2 is pretty far south; I 'm not surprised you can't pick up the station. But you might be able to do so at night, when AM radio signals travel much further than in the day. I am hoping that in Cherry Hill (between exits 3 and 4) , I'll be able to pick up the station.

Reactions: DirtyRU
ADVERTISEMENT