ADVERTISEMENT

New RUMLAX Commit

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Attackman from Wall. Logan Peters. Multi sport athletic kid. Staff is high on him. Plays QB on his football team and hoops as well. Expect more of these multi sport recruits. Athleticism is paramount. Leading Edge is one of the best club teams in the country. Good to get these guys.

ENoUoi0XUAA1Zd3

Cali, If you had to bet the ranch, NCAAs or not this year ? If not, is it time to go in a new direction or wait until The Rodkin Center opens in December and give him the 2021 season?

Cali, If you had to bet the ranch, NCAAs or not this year ? If not, is it time to go in a new direction or wait until The Rodkin Center opens in December and give him the 2021 season?

Brian is the right coach. His staff is really good. As good as there is in the country. There is no thought of needing to replace him. He's about to hit his stride once the Rodkin Center opens. Think of this. We just got the full allotment of scholarships 3 years ago. We had by far the worst facilities among our peers. During that time he was beating Hopkins, making it to the B1G championship game, and had the team ranked number 1 in the country. Wait till you see what can be done once he can recruit off the Rodkin Center, which he's doing now.

We have to make the tourney. Everyone knows it. But there is no question this program got absolutely dicked. Twice. Most everyone understands that. But, it needs to happen. And when it does, it will be be consistent.

To answer your other question, it's such a fine line. There are so many good teams and players. Things need to break right, for anyone to make it.

If we stay healthy at key positions, yes. If not, it is unlikely. I like the make up of this team a lot, especially for the intangibles. It's a TEAM.

Tell you how it looks to a non-RU insider who knows the game. I wouldn't bet the house 'cause a couple of injuries at the wrong places and they're toast. But if they stay healthy I'd say a tournament.bid is likely.

Reactions: Leonard23
Cali, we just got to the limit three years ago ? Hasn’t Rutgers had lacrosse for decades? That is crazy. Every time I think I have heard something insane about Rutgers Athletics, I find out there is more. This ALMOST ranks up there with our press box at baseball consisting of several elementary school cafeteria tables .

Reactions: Local Shill
Cali, we just got to the limit three years ago ? Hasn’t Rutgers had lacrosse for decades? That is crazy. Every time I think I have heard something insane about Rutgers Athletics, I find out there is more. This ALMOST ranks up there with our press box at baseball consisting of several elementary school cafeteria tables .
Yes. It's crazy but it was the sad reality for many Olympic sports here. Rutgers was not invested in winning and was going through the motions. Wrestling just recently fully funded 9.9 scholarships at out-of-state tuition levels within the past 3 or 4 years, and only fully funded the full 9.9 scholarships at in-state tuition levels at some point in the last 6-8 years. Prior to Goodale's arrival in 2007, we almost cut wrestling and were offering 2.9 to 4.4 of the 9.9 scholarships available and only at in-state tuition levels. Goodale and staff were miracle workers being competitive and producing AAs with those financial constraints and one of the worst facilities.

Yep. It’s crazy to think about. We had the full allotment of scholarships but it was at in state tuition rates. We were losing 2 scholarship kids per class. Down 8 kids on a team compared to your peers is a massive difference. Once Pat got wind of it, he fixed it immediately. That’s when I knew he was the real deal.

These are the small things (although significant) that Hobbs doesn’t really credit for. He’s done this across several sports. On the flip side, these are the things that Mulcahy doesn’t get criticized for when people wanna out him on a pedestal. There is absolutely no doubt that he destroyed the Olympic side of our athletic department to the point where he set up back 10+ years.

Heading into the spring with both lax teams, softball, baseball, and rowing with bright futures is exciting.

These are the small things (although significant) that Hobbs doesn’t really credit for. He’s done this across several sports. On the flip side, these are the things that Mulcahy doesn’t get criticized for when people wanna out him on a pedestal. There is absolutely no doubt that he destroyed the Olympic side of our athletic department to the point where he set up back 10+ years.

Heading into the spring with both lax teams, softball, baseball, and rowing with bright futures is exciting.

No question. Mulcahy, with the encouragement from Schiano, funneled almost everything towards football. And I don't blame Schiano. His job is to fight for funds for his sport, especially when funds are limited. I blame Mulchay. He failed at his most important job. Fundraising. I was just starting at that time to have some ability to donate and it was very obvious very quickly he didn't give AF about anything other than football. A shocking dereliction of duty for a major school athletic director. This is not hyperbole. My high school lacrosse team, outside of the small amount of scholarship money BM provided, was supported more than the RU team. Pre game meals then consisted of an energy bar. Shocking.

At least Tim was able to get us to the point, though not good enough, where we had the instate allotment.

Pat's been amazing in creating a fully formed department. There is no reason we can't be good in everything, like a number of other schools. That's my hope for Rutgers.

I think Schiano has a very unique opportunity. He is in position to not only move the football needle forward in a huge way, but he can become the face of Rutgers as a whole. Let's hope he's matured and sees the much bigger opportunity he has in front of him.

No question. Mulcahy, with the encouragement from Schiano, funneled almost everything towards football. And I don't blame Schiano. His job is to fight for funds for his sport, especially when funds are limited. I blame Mulchay. He failed at his most important job. Fundraising. I was just starting at that time to have some ability to donate and it was very obvious very quickly he didn't give AF about anything other than football. A shocking dereliction of duty for a major school athletic director. This is not hyperbole. My high school lacrosse team, outside of the small amount of scholarship money BM provided, was supported more than the RU team. Pre game meals then consisted of an energy bar. Shocking.

At least Tim was able to get us to the point, though not good enough, where we had the instate allotment.

Pat's been amazing in creating a fully formed department. There is no reason we can't be good in everything, like a number of other schools. That's my hope for Rutgers.

I think Schiano has a very unique opportunity. He is in position to not only move the football needle forward in a huge way, but he can become the face of Rutgers as a whole. Let's hope he's matured and sees the much bigger opportunity he has in front of him.

I think we’re only a few years away from our programs being Perennial tournament teams in all sports.

I think the last month has been amazing and this time will be much different. The expansion of social media and this board alone have provided an avenue where people can be more informed and support the athletic department across the board.

I think we’re only a few years away from our programs being Perennial tournament teams in all sports.

I think the last month has been amazing and this time will be much different. The expansion of social media and this board alone have provided an avenue where people can be more informed and support the athletic department across the board.

Agreed. With the facilities being built along with the rise in funds being raised privately, it's going to lead to better on field results which will lead to more investments. It's the cycle we want to be in. There will be tangible results from these investments that can be pointed to.

Hobbs has been an absolute Godsend regarding Olympic sports at RU. Wrestling, both lax teams, women's crew, field hockey, men's golf, both soccer teams, and I wouldn't be shocked if gymnastics makes a big move to being a ranked program. I'm really interested to see who he hires for volleyball which will likely be the hardest build in the B1G.

I would not expect them to be .500 this year. Have you looked at their schedule? I have heard that they are already dealing with some injuries. Including one key one.

Hobbs has been an absolute Godsend regarding Olympic sports at RU. Wrestling, both lax teams, women's crew, field hockey, men's golf, both soccer teams, and I wouldn't be shocked if gymnastics makes a big move to being a ranked program. I'm really interested to see who he hires for volleyball which will likely be the hardest build in the B1G.
From what I was told, one of the reasons that the Lacrosse soccer took longer was that Hobbs wanted to make sure that it had everything that they needed. Hobbs has been the biggest advocate of the Olympics sports every as AD.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Was nice to see the team practice outside today and great, as always, to talk to the coaches.

Can you comment on the injury rumor above, 'cause I don't see this as a .500 team unless they are significant.
I'm not comfortable commenting on any injuries of players. Especially when I know nothing officially. Not my place. Sorry.

Attackman from Wall. Logan Peters. Multi sport athletic kid. Staff is high on him. Plays QB on his football team and hoops as well. Expect more of these multi sport recruits. Athleticism is paramount. Leading Edge is one of the best club teams in the country. Good to get these guys.

ENoUoi0XUAA1Zd3
This kid was on my son's UA under class team, big kid pretty athletic reminds me alot of Mead and or Sanguinetti.

Reactions: Caliknight
sent to the open practice today and it looks like they are very close to if not completely healthy which is great. they were working playing faster and you can see it. they are pushing the pace at a noticeably increased rate. It appears that they are absolutely going toward playing most if not all 2 way guys. They focused on attacking the cage early in the shot clock and pushing the ball down the field while the riding team was trying to get kids off. their midfield is big and strong and athletic. If you like offense I would get season tickets as this offense has all the makings for being very special.
Golfer saw your son, seems to be in excellent spirits and super excited for the season.
as far as the season goes it is always about being healthy, if they are fully healthy and play to their potential there are no games that they can not win. i think that Loyola will be down a little (sorry, Golfer) Princeton Syracuse are both good but winnable. The Villanova scrimmage will be an excellent test as they should be very good and possible favored to win the Big East. They have an excellent fogo and really good goalie play. we shall see how that goes.

I would not expect them to be .500 this year. Have you looked at their schedule? I have heard that they are already dealing with some injuries. Including one key one.

Who is the injured key player?

sent to the open practice today and it looks like they are very close to if not completely healthy which is great. they were working playing faster and you can see it. they are pushing the pace at a noticeably increased rate. It appears that they are absolutely going toward playing most if not all 2 way guys. They focused on attacking the cage early in the shot clock and pushing the ball down the field while the riding team was trying to get kids off. their midfield is big and strong and athletic. If you like offense I would get season tickets as this offense has all the makings for being very special.
Golfer saw your son, seems to be in excellent spirits and super excited for the season.
as far as the season goes it is always about being healthy, if they are fully healthy and play to their potential there are no games that they can not win. i think that Loyola will be down a little (sorry, Golfer) Princeton Syracuse are both good but winnable. The Villanova scrimmage will be an excellent test as they should be very good and possible favored to win the Big East. They have an excellent fogo and really good goalie play. we shall see how that goes.
Good to hear...He said you guys got to catch up for a few minutes...

I agree with you assessment on games.

I saw Villanova live in the fall vs Loyola. Loyola got the better of them but not by much, and again, it was a scrimmage in the fall, so while a good indicator, not exactly like a regular season game. Also, Nova has excellent SSDM's...so the matchup there will be a good test and prep for our guys

Loyola will be down a bit I agree, but that coaching staff is excellent and they will get that young team playing well at some point...but they might not be ready on 2/22...not to mention Loyola opens up at UVA and then hosts Hopkins...then they get us at home...

We gotta hope for good health, and progress at FOGO...

Season opens three weeks from today...be here before we know it

Thx for the info family

You can't blame BM, GS, TP or others for inadequately funding Olympic sports or hurting them, as the BOGs gets 99.9% of that blame for not caring and not investing in winning. Those that you want to blame did what they could with the limited resources available.

You can't blame BM, GS, TP or others for inadequately funding Olympic sports or hurting them, as the BOGs gets 99.9% of that blame for not caring and not investing in winning. Those that you want to blame did what they could with the limited resources available.
That’s laughable. But what’s done is done at this point.

What's laughable? When the BOGs inadequately/partially funds the athletics dept, what do you expect to happen?

Again, what he did with football and GS was a miracle and he deserves credit. But there is no disputing that outside of football, the rest of the athletic department was an absolute abomination. And that’s being kind. There are some real doozy stories from his tenure as AD that I’m sure many more established posters on here could shed light on. But to say that he doesn’t derseve blame because the BOG underfunded is a joke.

It’s the AD’s responsibility to make a convincing case to the BOG to increase funding and invest in facilities. He didn’t do that because he had absolutely no long or short term plan for the future of our teams and their facilities. This falls on him.

BM has zero ability to effectively fundraise. He didn’t capitalize on the success of football between 2005 and 2010 to generate buzz across athletics as a whole. We had essentially no avenue for folks to donate even if they wanted to. The Rodkins, Towers, Giruttis just didn’t come into money the last three years. This falls on him.

How about accountability?? He held no one accountable for their coaching performance. He essentially rubber stamped contract extensions and lifetime deals for coaches who were barely capable of coaching high school teams. This wasn’t just one or two programs. This was almost all of them. We basically were operating intramural teams. Put infield performance aside. How about accountability for recruiting or program scandal? We lost swimming and rowing. We almost lost wrestling. This falls on him as the AD.

The BOG is definitely to blame also. But we know they were a problem. To remedy that, you needed to fund raise. That's the one of if not the most important jobs of the AD at a school like Rutgers. BM was simply horrible at it. There is no way to get around that.

It's in the past though. Onward.

The BOG is definitely to blame also. But we know they were a problem. To remedy that, you needed to fund raise. That's the one of if not the most important jobs of the AD at a school like Rutgers. BM was simply horrible at it. There is no way to get around that.

It's in the past though. Onward.

Is there a Friends of RU Lacrosse group that fund raises?

Separate newsletter and fund?

There is the Stick Fund. Then there are private raises for various things. Often that could be just a phone call. Alums get a newsletter and correspondence.

Are Cali and WNG from the wrestling board related? They are two great Rutgers fans who love the head coaches of lacrosse and wrestling. They are total homers and that's ok with me.

Would love to know what has to happen for Cali to advocate for a new lacrosse coach. How many more years do we have to go not making the tournament before a change is advocated? Is 4 more years a realistic time frame to expect to make the tournament.

I disagree on Mulcahy. Bob understood that football drives the bus and provides the greatest return. Bob had a long term relationship with Delaney and that was the foundation for entering the Big Ten.

We need advocates like WNG and Cali for the Olympic sports. But, we would not be where we are without Bob hiring Schiano. Thankfully, Greg is back and the passion around football will raise all boats

Are Cali and WNG from the wrestling board related? They are two great Rutgers fans who love the head coaches of lacrosse and wrestling. They are total homers and that's ok with me.

Would love to know what has to happen for Cali to advocate for a new lacrosse coach. How many more years do we have to go not making the tournament before a change is advocated? Is 4 more years a realistic time frame to expect to make the tournament.

I disagree on Mulcahy. Bob understood that football drives the bus and provides the greatest return. Bob had a long term relationship with Delaney and that was the foundation for entering the Big Ten.

We need advocates like WNG and Cali for the Olympic sports. But, we would not be where we are without Bob hiring Schiano. Thankfully, Greg is back and the passion around football will raise all boats

He destroyed this athletic department plain and simple. You can spin it any way you want to but we building facilities that we should already have. Maybe he understood the importance of football but he did less than nothing to capitalize on its success.

We play baseball and softball on high school fields. ...

He destroyed this athletic department plain and simple. You can spin it any way you want to but we building facilities that we should already have. Maybe he understood the importance of football but he did less than nothing to capitalize on its success.

We play baseball and softball on high school fields. ...

If pouring money into football at the expense of other programs is what made football successful enough to secure Rutgers a spot in the Big 10, I think a more convincing argument is that Mulcahy actually saved the athletic department.

Would you rather be in UConn’s place?

If pouring money into football at the expense of other programs is what made football successful enough to secure Rutgers a spot in the Big 10, I think a more convincing argument is that Mulcahy actually saved the athletic department.

Would you rather be in UConn’s place?

Yikes. Ahh we didn’t get into the Big 10 because of our football program. We were invited to join so the conference could expand TV and grab as many of the alums from the conference who populate the tri-state.

If the big 10 had any respect or care for our athletic department and football program, they wouldn’t have gone out of their way to screw us with our phase in of full share revenue.

Yikes. Ahh we didn’t get into the Big 10 because of our football program. We were invited to join so the conference could expand TV and grab as many of the alums from the conference who populate the tri-state.

If the big 10 had any respect or care for our athletic department and football program, they wouldn’t have gone out of their way to screw us with our phase in of full share revenue.

If you think the Big 10 was inviting a Shea or even Ash era Rutgers football program to join the conference then you’re not very bright. Football clearly had to be at a minimum level of acceptability. Coming from the level that it was, that required the lions share of the athletic department’s resources.

Last edited:
This article from the NYT helps to explain how Mulcahy elevated Rutgers and positioned all sports for success. Without Mulcahy we would be where UConn is today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/nyregion/in-person-renaissance-man.html

Everyone is untitled to their opinions. No one is entitled to their own facts. One does not have to like Mulcahy to understand what he accomplished.

Where do you think Rutgers would be today without Mulcahy. Look at the excitement around Rutgers since Schiano was hired. Does anyone truly believe that Hobbs wanted to hire Schiano?

This article from the NYT helps to explain how Mulcahy elevated Rutgers and positioned all sports for success. Without Mulcahy we would be where UConn is today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/nyregion/in-person-renaissance-man.html

Everyone is untitled to their opinions. No one is entitled to their own facts. One does not have to like Mulcahy to understand what he accomplished.

Where do you think Rutgers would be today without Mulcahy. Look at the excitement around Rutgers since Schiano was hired. Does anyone truly believe that Hobbs wanted to hire Schiano?
No one disputes any of that. But the main reason we had so little money that we had to put every dime into FB is that BM was a terrible fundraiser, which is one of the main roles of a major college AD. If he were better at that part of his job he could have fed the FB program without starving all the rest. That is the point most are missing.

Cali will never do that, this guy has been getting out recruited by everyone. Mountain Lakes had a monster class last year and won the TOC but no Lakes kids. Where are the Summit or Ridge kids? What about a Westfield kid. Nope he is picking kids from second and third tier schools in NJ. Will another sub 500 season a the worst recruiting lads in the Big Ten put him on the hot seat?

ADVERTISEMENT