ADVERTISEMENT

Next Lacrosse shoe to drop

Asgot, to a non lacrosse person, are the past few days like getting Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes ?

Asgot, to a non lacrosse person, are the past few days like getting Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes ?
I don’t know lacrosse, but Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes were no First team all Americans. From the descriptions given by the lacrosse followers, it seems this is more like getting Peyton Pritchard or Luka Garza.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
From a pure accomplishment standpoint, I am not sure we have ever had a transfer in any sport like that of Connor Kirst. He's arguably the best player at his position in the country. Absolutely dominant.

This is a big pick up. He's been Yale's starting LSM for two years, including the year the won the national championship. He's a man. And Yale produces hard workers and winners. They types of guys are invaluable to the program, even for a year. He's been there and knows what it takes.

Keep an eye out for more transfers.

From a pure accomplishment standpoint, I am not sure we have ever had a transfer in any sport like that of Connor Kirst. He's arguably the best player at his position in the country. Absolutely dominant.

This is a big pick up. He's been Yale's starting LSM for two years, including the year the won the national championship. He's a man. And Yale produces hard workers and winners. They types of guys are invaluable to the program, even for a year. He's been there and knows what it takes.

Keep an eye out for more transfers.
Nick Suriano?

I am not overly familiar with wrestling though I know he is/was a stud transfer.

I do know that Connor Kirst is a 1st team All American and would have been a top 5 PLL pick had he come out.
That's great to hear. Suriano is likely the best transfer of any sport in RU history to date.

Suriano was hurt as a PSU freshman but he was one of the top guys in the country. He transferred to RU and was a national runner-up his sophomore year and our first wrestling National Champ his junior year. We are waiting to find out his plans for senior year (currently on Olympic red-shirt).

That's great to hear. Suriano is likely the best transfer of any sport in RU history to date.

Suriano was hurt as a PSU freshman but he was one of the top guys in the country. He transferred to RU and was a national runner-up his sophomore year and our first wrestling National Champ his junior year. We are waiting to find out his plans for senior year (currently on Olympic red-shirt).
In that case, in terms of what they brought here and not did here, Kirst is a higher profile transfer. At least more accomplished at that point in time. Let’s hope he has the success Suriano has had in an RU uniform.

That's awesome. Nick was obviously a talent with tons of potential. You can argue Kirst has already reached it coming in. First team All American is the highest honor you can get individually in lacrosse outside of being named the Tewaraton winner which goes to the best player. Connor was on that list.

EIther way, the more talent at RU the better. Keep bringing it in across the board.

If he didn't get hurt, Nick arguably wins the championship as a freshmen.

...and if he doesn't spend over a week in the hospital due to a staph infection and unable to train adequately for even longer, he arguably wins the championship as a sophomore as well.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Cali, on a scale of one to ten, with ten being a National Champion Team, what were we in March and what are we now? Also, do you expect any more incoming transfers?

Cali, on a scale of one to ten, with ten being a National Champion Team, what were we in March and what are we now? Also, do you expect any more incoming transfers?

It's really hard to say. We started out slow, but we were trending up. Things were starting to come together and we had a huge game the weekend things ended- Syracuse coming in at 1. We beat them pretty easily two years ago at RU and I was expecting us to play well. But, the faceoff issue was real. I am not sure how we get around that.

Fortunately, that issue has been solved. Along with some other great additions. Duke is the odds on favorite to win the NC. They have amassed a roster with more talent than we have seen in a long time. Deep and talented at every level, and got impact transfers in goal, and the best player in the country in Sowers. They also have an incredible recruiting class coming in including a man child who could probably have played college lacrosse a freshman . All from a team that would have competed with none of these additions. If they don't win the NC, it's the underachievement of the decade. Where we fit into that, I really can't say. I need to see how the pieces all come together, but there is no question, these additions are a huge shot in the arm.

The truth is last March we were a 5-6 win team, with issues at the faceoff X in the goal and on defense. well we have addressed 2 of 3 of those issues and added two nice pieces on the offense. I can see us being an 8-10 win team depending on our OOC schedule

we are going to be better next year, but so will other teams in the Big Ten. I think that Cali, spoke of the faceoff X but I will add that I think it is a combo of both face off's and save percentage. These are 2 of the three ways in which teams can get the ball (the other being takeaways) the minimum for success is generally some combo of 100% between face offs and save. in our games last year we were over this threshold only once (Quinnipiac). I our two one goal losses we were over 50% in saves but under 33% in face-offs (8% vs Loyola). In our blow outs e actually had better face off % then save percentage. As you might imagine our worst performance was against Army (overall 62) but the next worst was Loyola, a one goal loss (overall 67). This is the long ay of saying that we also have to do better making saves. I think we have addressed both of those things. Ott should be fully healthy and with the addition of Dugenio and Barratta our top three should be pretty good. two things to underscore, Mullins coming back is huge as it allows us some position flexibility with Gallagher and Scoot as one could move to middie (probably Gallagher) and team up with Kirst and another one of the plethora Middies we now have. Kirst's presence will force opposing teams to pole him which changes the matchups for Rutgers in a positive way with a sixth year Mullins and a 7th year AC our attack will certainly be experienced.
how will this translate? good question as UMD, JHU and OSU all added kids as well, OSU lost both their starting goalie and their top recruit in goal so they may take a little step back there. PSU lost Ament but kept everyone else I think. I believe that UVA has gotten a waiver for Dox Aiken to come back and play lacrosse next spring. But, as for Rutgers with there additions they should be challenging for the Big Ten title and they should have a tremendous opportunity to make the tourney.

we are going to be better next year, but so will other teams in the Big Ten. I think that Cali, spoke of the faceoff X but I will add that I think it is a combo of both face off's and save percentage. These are 2 of the three ways in which teams can get the ball (the other being takeaways) the minimum for success is generally some combo of 100% between face offs and save. in our games last year we were over this threshold only once (Quinnipiac). I our two one goal losses we were over 50% in saves but under 33% in face-offs (8% vs Loyola). In our blow outs e actually had better face off % then save percentage. As you might imagine our worst performance was against Army (overall 62) but the next worst was Loyola, a one goal loss (overall 67). This is the long ay of saying that we also have to do better making saves. I think we have addressed both of those things. Ott should be fully healthy and with the addition of Dugenio and Barratta our top three should be pretty good. two things to underscore, Mullins coming back is huge as it allows us some position flexibility with Gallagher and Scoot as one could move to middie (probably Gallagher) and team up with Kirst and another one of the plethora Middies we now have. Kirst's presence will force opposing teams to pole him which changes the matchups for Rutgers in a positive way with a sixth year Mullins and a 7th year AC our attack will certainly be experienced.
how will this translate? good question as UMD, JHU and OSU all added kids as well, OSU lost both their starting goalie and their top recruit in goal so they may take a little step back there. PSU lost Ament but kept everyone else I think. I believe that UVA has gotten a waiver for Dox Aiken to come back and play lacrosse next spring. But, as for Rutgers with there additions they should be challenging for the Big Ten title and they should have a tremendous opportunity to make the tourney.
Nice info Family...I would agree it's hard not to think we will be better...I hope the intangibles get better as well...from top to bottom, last year was really not good...adding some new faces might allow the opportunity to hit the reset button on this crew and roster...

The new guys will help...specifically Kirst, Dugeino, and the LSM from Yale...

Attack is essentially set...see what happens with Gally and Ross...one stays at attack, the other gets run out of the box...although neither has a middie frame...so your essentially playing with 4 attack...which is fine

As far as offensive middie, you have Sprock and Kirst...and then it's IMO wide open competition for the next 3-4 spots...and we have some guys...but the pick ups were needed....the graduation of Mead and the move of Kamish to SSDM/transition mid actually cut into offensive midfield depth...so the transfer pick ups were needed...

At SSDM I think we will be better...you now have a really veteran group there with likely three guys (Kamish/Daniger/Franko) and a forth will be added to the mix...I am not a fan of playing young SSDM's...you can have an exception, but by rule, I like seeing juniors and seniors at SSDM...more mature, better understanding of the game at the highest level...

On defense, I think we return everyone right? And maybe a young guy flashes...

I like our LSM stable

But back to your point on two key spots...if we can be above average in net and at the FO-X...I think we can be very solid and can win a lot of games...

So many variables...the staff needs to pull the right levers, the kids need to compete hard and prepare in the offseason, and then we see if it can all come together....

I'm bullish...I think the couple new pieces added can be force multipliers...but that is just me

Hope the family is well

44 is in NJ as we speak...he couldn't stay away I guess :)

Reactions: rufamily
Nice info Family...I would agree it's hard not to think we will be better...I hope the intangibles get better as well...from top to bottom, last year was really not good...adding some new faces might allow the opportunity to hit the reset button on this crew and roster...

The new guys will help...specifically Kirst, Dugeino, and the LSM from Yale...

Attack is essentially set...see what happens with Gally and Ross...one stays at attack, the other gets run out of the box...although neither has a middie frame...so your essentially playing with 4 attack...which is fine

As far as offensive middie, you have Sprock and Kirst...and then it's IMO wide open competition for the next 3-4 spots...and we have some guys...but the pick ups were needed....the graduation of Mead and the move of Kamish to SSDM/transition mid actually cut into offensive midfield depth...so the transfer pick ups were needed...

At SSDM I think we will be better...you now have a really veteran group there with likely three guys (Kamish/Daniger/Franko) and a forth will be added to the mix...I am not a fan of playing young SSDM's...you can have an exception, but by rule, I like seeing juniors and seniors at SSDM...more mature, better understanding of the game at the highest level...

On defense, I think we return everyone right? And maybe a young guy flashes...

I like our LSM stable

But back to your point on two key spots...if we can be above average in net and at the FO-X...I think we can be very solid and can win a lot of games...

So many variables...the staff needs to pull the right levers, the kids need to compete hard and prepare in the offseason, and then we see if it can all come together....

I'm bullish...I think the couple new pieces added can be force multipliers...but that is just me

Hope the family is well

44 is in NJ as we speak...he couldn't stay away I guess :)

Those SSDM would make a pretty good offensive middie line but, I love how a kid like Kamish who came in with a rep as an offensive player and he was asked or saw a need for help at ssdm and said I will do whatever it takes to win. It is guys like that (glue guys) that help you win championships. I dont know where the 4th guy comes from maybe one of last years freshman but dont be surprised if a kid like B. Russo or Knobloch gets some run here early on. Knobloch is small but very tough

we have alot of LSM's just have to figure them out. I think that the LSM from Yale is going to be a huge help on the wing on face offs as will Connor.

I think we will need to see kids like Coyne, Peterson step up into thatb 2nd middie group maybe with one of the kim's or Almand or again on of the Freshman Maybe Aimone who is pretyy athletic and could also run Middie.

Those SSDM would make a pretty good offensive middie line but, I love how a kid like Kamish who came in with a rep as an offensive player and he was asked or saw a need for help at ssdm and said I will do whatever it takes to win. It is guys like that (glue guys) that help you win championships. I dont know where the 4th guy comes from maybe one of last years freshman but dont be surprised if a kid like B. Russo or Knobloch gets some run here early on. Knobloch is small but very tough

we have alot of LSM's just have to figure them out. I think that the LSM from Yale is going to be a huge help on the wing on face offs as will Connor.

I think we will need to see kids like Coyne, Peterson step up into thatb 2nd middie group maybe with one of the kim's or Almand or again on of the Freshman Maybe Aimone who is pretyy athletic and could also run Middie.
I think as far as Offensive Mid is concerned you are right....you have Coyne, Sango and Peterson...all have played minutes...I would expect they compete, and yes, the new guys and young guys will all be in that mix...again more competition should drive performance up...that's the idea anyway...

While we have a lot of LSM's in the room now...the LSM that I'd like to see compete is Crosby...but I'm concerned about his health...4 surgeries in I think 2 years...I'm not sure he gets back to what he was...trust me when I say he was one of the most impressive lacrosse players I've ever watched "pre-injury"...extremely skilled, tough, physical...man I'd love to see him healthy...just for a chance to compete

It's fun talking lacrosse amidst all the other crap going on...

Question for anyone...what are they saying in NJ about RU starting back up in the fall? I know here in Michigan, all schools have come out and said, students will be on campus in the fall. What's the word out there?

Reactions: Caliknight
Coyne has to step up and I think he will. He certainly has the intangibles. Same with Sango. I've heard he's been working hard. Same with Peterson. No question we need more from all everyone if we are going to take a big step.

Good calls on Knobloch an Aimone. Fam could speak to that more but both of those kids look like they could see some early time. Where, I am not sure.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Coyne has to step up and I think he will. He certainly has the intangibles. Same with Sango. I've heard he's been working hard. Same with Peterson. No question we need more from all everyone if we are going to take a big step.

Good calls on Knobloch an Aimone. Fam could speak to that more but both of those kids look like they could see some early time. Where, I am not sure.
Everyone needs to be better...period, top to bottom. Every position group can improve, every group should be working hard in the offseason and taking it personal...and guess what, if your a kid on the team and your not working out daily, training, shooting, working your craft every week...you will get passed over by someone that is...it's that simple...nobody is exempt...

My two guys train with a trainer 5 days a week, and another 2-3 days a week are shooting, working on footwork, etc....

If your not doing that...you are falling behind...period

I expect to be better next year...I expect the new guys to help, and I expect their arrival to create urgency in the others to get better or get left behind...

What's the saying...a rising tide raises all ships...or something like that...lol

Competition is good...I know one kid that understands that and is training as hard as ever...although I've never had to worry about his work ethic or commitment

Reactions: Caliknight
Everyone needs to be better...period, top to bottom. Every position group can improve, every group should be working hard in the offseason and taking it personal...and guess what, if your a kid on the team and your not working out daily, training, shooting, working your craft every week...you will get passed over by someone that is...it's that simple...nobody is exempt...

My two guys train with a trainer 5 days a week, and another 2-3 days a week are shooting, working on footwork, etc....

If your not doing that...you are falling behind...period

I expect to be better next year...I expect the new guys to help, and I expect their arrival to create urgency in the others to get better or get left behind...

What's the saying...a rising tide raises all ships...or something like that...lol

Competition is good...I know one kid that understands that and is training as hard as ever...although I've never had to worry about his work ethic or commitment

Steel sharpens steel. I have a few buddies on those really good Uva teams. They were deep talented. They would tell me how often their practices were tougher than games. When it came time to play, winning was easier. Bringing in as much talent as they can is a coach's job. It's the players job to be as good as they can be so they get time. That's the way sports work.

Having two D1 players under the same roof is a huge plus for both of them. Can't see I wouldn't mind seeing them matched up again on the field. I am guessing 44, with more time and experience under his belt in the ssdm role, wouldn't mind it either.

Reactions: Scarlettrooper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT