ADVERTISEMENT

Next years lacrosse team

RickB113

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Next years team has a legit chance to win an NCAA title. They should be a top 5 team pre season with everything we have coming back and the injured guys. How many times has RU had a team that going into the season could say that? Maybe a few of stringers teams? That would be it though. Pretty exciting.

Reactions: biazza38
Let's see if they learned how to stay grounded and how to manage success, and not lose to garbage teams like Delaware. If they can do that, they have a shot at being a Top Dog in May Madness.

Garbage team? You sure about that?
Top 5? RU had a good year and I understand that some weapons were out of the lineup, but that's a little lofty. Rutgers was 5th in the BIG. Are MD, OSU, PSU and JHU falling off that much? ACC has 3 more powerful programs in the final 8, and UNC/UVA arent going away. Add in other programs like DU, Townson, Loyola and it's a pretty tough field. RU will be in the hunt.

Top 5? RU had a good year and I understand that some weapons were out of the lineup, but that's a little lofty. Rutgers was 5th in the BIG. Are MD, OSU, PSU and JHU falling off that much? ACC has 3 more powerful programs in the final 8, and UNC/UVA arent going away. Add in other programs like DU, Townson, Loyola and it's a pretty tough field. RU will be in the hunt.
Apparently reading comprehension is lacking in this thread. I called Delaware a garbage team, not RU. On paper we shouldve mopped the floor with that team.

Top 5 I am not sure about, there are some young teams that are still in the tourney performing well, such as Duke. Not sure what some other teams have coming back, I know PSU has a lot. Maryland has been recruiting great but they are losing a ton. We play them at Byrd next year but circle that one.

Hopkins has a lot coming back I think, but they are apparently a mess. Heard from friend and Hop alum, Petro might not exactly be comfortable there, and vice versa. Some chatter about him and the UM job.

Ohio St. loses some on D but has Le Claire and few others coming back. UM is a crapshoot.

We have TON coming back and the injured additions. Hopefully, they can integrate quickly from where they left off. I know at least one of the injured guys rehab has been going very well.

We may not be top 5 pre season, but I expect us to definitely be top 10. On paper, this will be the best team we have had at RU. Maybe ever. Granted they were huge contributors, but we lose 1 starter on D, 1 middie on the first line and 1 D middie from the guys that played.

With Charalambides being added back to the attack, Trasolini at midfield, along with the guys that got experience this year and an exciting recruiting class, the future is now. I don't want to put undue pressure on the squad, but this is a team you look at and say anything less than the tournament would be disappointing considering all they accomplished this year and what is being added back. After getting in, anything can happen.

What's the word on our OOC schedule? Any chance of maybe dropping a St. John's and adding an Albany? Hoping ACC-B1G Lax Challenge starts up at some point. I'd love to play UVA or UNC in Lax if they ever started an ACC-B1G Lax Challenge.

Last edited:
Considering Uva backed out of our 4 year deal after 2 years, I doubt we see them on the schedule. Further, no acc team had the stones to play us. They all said no.

St. John's has been on the schedule forever. Doubt we drop them. It's an easy trip. Albany would be a great game. Two up and down teams. Not sure who we would replace them with though. Brown was a home and home, so we owe them a return trip next year. Princeton isn't going anywhere ever, and our B1G games are obviously set. Delaware has floated in and out of the schedule, so there might be some play there. Not sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Stony Brook replaced.They are dangerous enough to beat us, but don't add any real value when we beat them.

Albany has a kid coming in that is human highlight reel. Tehoka Naticoke from IMG in Florida. RU was a serious contender for him, but grades may have been an issue, I am not sure. If he makes it to Albany, with that other kid Fields, they will be fun to watch. Check out that kids highlight tape. It's pretty crazy.

I get to see one of the Rutgers 2018 committed midfielders play tomorrow. Lets see if we can stop him.

Considering Uva backed out of our 4 year deal after 2 years, I doubt we see them on the schedule. Further, no acc team had the stones to play us. They all said no.

St. John's has been on the schedule forever. Doubt we drop them. It's an easy trip. Albany would be a great game. Two up and down teams. Not sure who we would replace them with though. Brown was a home and home, so we owe them a return trip next year. Princeton isn't going anywhere ever, and our B1G games are obviously set. Delaware has floated in and out of the schedule, so there might be some play there. Not sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Stony Brook replaced.They are dangerous enough to beat us, but don't add any real value when we beat them.

Albany has a kid coming in that is human highlight reel. Tehoka Naticoke from IMG in Florida. RU was a serious contender for him, but grades may have been an issue, I am not sure. If he makes it to Albany, with that other kid Fields, they will be fun to watch. Check out that kids highlight tape. It's pretty crazy.
Cali, despite your anti ACC stance, you have a great handle on lax, particularly at RU. This year's team didn't qualify, but absolutely could have won an NCAA title. Same thing next year, pretty wide open, but I expect RU to be in tournament.

Top 5 I am not sure about, there are some young teams that are still in the tourney performing well, such as Duke. Not sure what some other teams have coming back, I know PSU has a lot. Maryland has been recruiting great but they are losing a ton. We play them at Byrd next year but circle that one.

Hopkins has a lot coming back I think, but they are apparently a mess. Heard from friend and Hop alum, Petro might not exactly be comfortable there, and vice versa. Some chatter about him and the UM job.

Ohio St. loses some on D but has Le Claire and few others coming back. UM is a crapshoot.

We have TON coming back and the injured additions. Hopefully, they can integrate quickly from where they left off. I know at least one of the injured guys rehab has been going very well.

We may not be top 5 pre season, but I expect us to definitely be top 10. On paper, this will be the best team we have had at RU. Maybe ever. Granted they were huge contributors, but we lose 1 starter on D, 1 middie on the first line and 1 D middie from the guys that played.

With Charalambides being added back to the attack, Trasolini at midfield, along with the guys that got experience this year and an exciting recruiting class, the future is now. I don't want to put undue pressure on the squad, but this is a team you look at and say anything less than the tournament would be disappointing considering all they accomplished this year and what is being added back. After getting in, anything can happen.

Any recruits that could step in right away and contribute?

Apparently reading comprehension is lacking in this thread. I called Delaware a garbage team, not RU. On paper we shouldve mopped the floor with that team.
No reading comprehension issues. I question calling Delaware a garbage team. NJIT not DE is a garbage team to use your verbage.

I get to see one of the Rutgers 2018 committed midfielders play tomorrow. Lets see if we can stop him.

nice. good luck! it's a tough situation. My kid went against one of the 2017 commits earlier this year and held him fairly well in check. Ended up giving my son a bad cheap shot from behind near the end of the game - not sure if he was frustrated or not. As a father I was happy my kid did decently against him, as an RU fan I wasn't.

nice. good luck! it's a tough situation. My kid went against one of the 2017 commits earlier this year and held him fairly well in check. Ended up giving my son a bad cheap shot from behind near the end of the game - not sure if he was frustrated or not. As a father I was happy my kid did decently against him, as an RU fan I wasn't.

Who?

Any recruits that could step in right away and contribute?

In past years, I would say yes. We have some serious talent coming in. But this team is stacked. There isn't much opportunity, minus injury, for a frosh to come in and play immediately. And that is a good thing. If they are playing, it is because they earned it. At our stage of development, that is how it is supposed to be.

That said, the middie from Bridgewater has some serious talent, and the attackman from Georgia is intriguing. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear from one of those guys in some capacity. A few D guys look like potential studs too, but again, we have so much coming back. If we don't see any of them in big roles, it wouldn't shock me. Our squad will be battle tested and mature. Tough to break into that.

Cali, despite your anti ACC stance, you have a great handle on lax, particularly at RU. This year's team didn't qualify, but absolutely could have won an NCAA title. Same thing next year, pretty wide open, but I expect RU to be in tournament.

I am not really anti acc. It's more that they have an equal now in the B1G. But if a whole conference is afraid to play you, they should be looked down on. Hopefully one of those program grows some balls. We have a pretty long history with Syracuse. If there was one team that would have the guts, maybe it's them.

This team was a chance to win more than 1 game in the tourney. I believe they had final four capability in this crazy year.

There are some who say Michigan is only a coach away from making serious noise in the community.

There are some who say Michigan is only a coach away from making serious noise in the community.

Pretty much everyone says that. They have massive support and facilities on the way. It's the biggest job the lacrosse world has seen open up. Everything is in place there.

Solid academics, great support/facilities, everything without loud alums who expect national championships every season like you have at Hopkins. They have no alums, yet all of the support. It's unique. If a guy like Petro takes the job, it wouldn't surprise me.

Well we got our teeth kicked in yesterday. I will be honest the RU commit was not their most dominant player and we were able to take the ball away from him a few times. They had a few kids that really impressed me. My young team was a bit shell shocked but we fought through and got better from it. We only graduate 2 players who give meaningful minutes.

Bummer. I am sure your squad will be better off for it. You don't play sports without getting beat down from time to time.

Heard that one of our Ca. recruits, Jordan Pakzad, was named All American and player of the year in Orange Co., where they are playing some very solid lacrosse.

Reactions: gef21
Bummer. I am sure your squad will be better off for it. You don't play sports without getting beat down from time to time.

Heard that one of our Ca. recruits, Jordan Pakzad, was named All American and player of the year in Orange Co., where they are playing some very solid lacrosse.
Absolutely a great lesson to get your teeth kicked in. I return a 72 point attackmen and a 74 point attackmen, as well as our 64% goalie so that is exciting to me. We also are getting a legit fogo transfer in from out of state. A good off season and we should make a run next year.

Reactions: Caliknight
Absolutely a great lesson to get your teeth kicked in. I return a 72 point attackmen and a 74 point attackmen, as well as our 64% goalie so that is exciting to me. We also are getting a legit fogo transfer in from out of state. A good off season and we should make a run next year.
Sounds like you played Roxbury. I won't name the kid but it's easily found.

Reactions: gef21
Sounds like you played Roxbury. I won't name the kid but it's easily found.
Their righty attackmen I thought was their best player. Athletic, great ball skills, tremendous shooter and an exceptionally nice kid. He's going to Denver but not to play.

I saw IMG play this season against Rumson as a buddy of mine has a son playing for them.

They have 3 headed to Albany supposedly but the kid Cali mentioned was definitely a player.

I saw IMG play this season against Rumson as a buddy of mine has a son playing for them.

They have 3 headed to Albany supposedly but the kid Cali mentioned was definitely a player.

Check out his highlight tape. It's a highlight tape, but it's incredible.

Will be interesting to see how his game translate at the D1 level where everyone is bigger, faster, and the schemes are much more advanced.

To the point of next year's team we only lose 3 real contributors from this year's team, Groel on D, George at Middie and Murphy at Attack. AC will replace Murphy and Tras will replace George and the offense could actually be better. I think what they need to do is develop some depth at Midfield, Rose has played very well but they need more out of Jordan and Tolliver as well as some of the younger guys, one name that is interesting to me in Oltsman he play in NJ a couple of years ago and was committed to Duke at one point he is big strong and athletic and he could certainly help us if he can develop. The two middie from NJ are both very athletic kids who could help right away maybe as a d-mid especially the kid from Bridgewater who was a football play and is very tough and strong.

On defense they bring back there top 3 poles and top 3 SSDM as well as their 2 best close defenders. I think that they have good young poles that could replace Groel and I thin that this will be an area of strength as well
They are bringing in a very good goalie to help create some depth and 2 faceoff guys
I can see them preseason top 10 and that is where they need to be to make any real noise

It would be nice if lacrosse could do a fall schedule match up challenge between the B1G and ACC similar to what basketball does. A short fall schedule or "exhibition game series" would be a great boost for the sport. It might also be a very good way to cut down or even eliminate the in season February games which due to the cold and bad weather games very susceptible to injuries.

Have an RU commit on my summer team. A midfielder from DE. Unbelievable kid.

Reactions: rufamily
Looks like a big down hill dodger nice addition for 2018

Yeah nice downhill dodger. Great shot on the run. Good power. Exceptional kid personality wise. Hes such a big strong kid but I would love to see him get more explosive and flexible.

By the way, Ed Lee from the Baltimore Sun has RU ranked #3 in his way too early Top 20 2018 rankings.
Yes he does and I think that is pretty fair considering what we bring back and what others have lost. With AC and Tras coming back and the athletic kids we have in the program and coming we can certainly make some noise next year. Adding AC to Mullins and Jules should be fun to watch. We need to get more out of some of the younger middies, but I think a first group of Casey, Chad and Tras is big strong and athletic, throw in Jordan and maybe Mazzone and a couple of the others (Schachte, Oltmans, Mead, Marks, Gillespie and Cunningham) and you can certainly make a serviceable 2nd group. Defensively they can keep their 3 poles at LSM ( Pless, Michaeli, and Bullett) and have Marron, Thompson and Nordhausen fight it out at close, although I feel like they want to use Marron at LSM or maybe move him back to middie and let him play defense.

Family, who is your pick to get the spot that Groel vacated? Our biggest loss from last season, imo. Kid had a great senior year.

Reactions: rufamily
Family, who is your pick to get the spot that Groel vacated? Our biggest loss from last season, imo. Kid had a great senior year.
I could see one of the Back-up poles getting a long look there and that would make room for Marron to get more run at pole. I spoke to someone close to the program who said that there will be some people leaving the program but, no one who we are counting on. I know that they really like the Nordhausen kid as he is very long (6'6").
I somewhat agree with you about Groel only because there is no obvious replacement but, I feel like George's quickness and dodging will sorely be missed. At the end of the year Jeff was nearly an impossible match up for a SS, just look at him going at the Allen kid from UMD. Tras is just a different guy and plays a different game.

ADVERTISEMENT