ADVERTISEMENT

NFL switches Steelers/Chiefs to Sunday night.

Jumba72

Senior
Nov 27, 2005
Seems odd to change the gametime a few hours this far out. Curious what our resident snowbirds think...

Monday is a holiday. Can probably get better ratings Sunday night then at 1?

Okay there's potential for an ice storm in the region and they want KC officials to have enough time to assure safe driving.

Seattle vs. Atlanta (winner: Seattle) Why? too physical
Green Bay vs. Dallas (winner: Dallas) why? too many weapons
New England vs. Houston (winner: New England) no explanation needed
Kansas City vs. Pitt (winner: heart says KC brain says Pittsburgh). Why? I wish Andy Reid wins a super bowl before retiring.

Monday is a holiday. Can probably get better ratings Sunday night then at 1?

Okay there's potential for an ice storm in the region and they want KC officials to have enough time to assure safe driving.

I figured this is part ratings ploy/part safety issue. I never understood why they don't just play both sets of games at 4 and 8 on both days and maximize their ratings since they're so money hungry.

Reactions: ntlrock1
On the other weather thread, this afternoon, I speculated that they might do this, although I thought they might wait a bit more to decide - I guess they have to give enough notice. Kickoff was 12 pm CST and the freezing rain is supposed to be turning to plain rain around 1-2 pm CST, as temps go above freezing, but I could imagine driving conditions before the game will be treacherous. Assuming the forecast is correct and temps will be above freezing for several hours before a 7:20 pm CST kickoff, travel for most will be much more reasonable, with several hours of melting and temps in the mid-30s by kickoff. Makes sense. .

Plotter.php

The ratings Sunday night will surely beat ratings for a 1 pm game. I expect the greedy NFL to keep the Sunday night divisional playoff game format now.

Completely agree that this is likely the end of 1pm Sunday games for the playoffs (at least the divisional round)

A lot of people in Pennsylvania and Missouri are are getting a nasty head cold if they aren't given paid holiday on Monday.

Tickets on StubHub had a get-in price of under $30. After the move was announced it immediately jumped to $70-75.

Seattle vs. Atlanta (winner: Seattle) Why? too physical
Green Bay vs. Dallas (winner: Dallas) why? too many weapons
New England vs. Houston (winner: New England) no explanation needed
Kansas City vs. Pitt (winner: heart says KC brain says Pittsburgh). Why? I wish Andy Reid wins a super bowl before retiring.
I think Atlanta beats Seattle

On the other weather thread, this afternoon, I speculated that they might do this, although I thought they might wait a bit more to decide - I guess they have to give enough notice. Kickoff was 12 pm CST and the freezing rain is supposed to be turning to plain rain around 1-2 pm CST, as temps go above freezing, but I could imagine driving conditions before the game will be treacherous. Assuming the forecast is correct and temps will be above freezing for several hours before a 7:20 pm CST kickoff, travel for most will be much more reasonable, with several hours of melting and temps in the mid-30s by kickoff. Makes sense. .

Plotter.php

Ice storm warnings for the KC area were all dropped a couple of hours ago, as temps are above freezing and the amount of ice this morning in that area was less than expected. In hindsight, they could've kept the 1 pm kickoff, but the evening kickoff will certainly be better, ice-wise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT