ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Article

Great job by Nick! I think he's laser-focused on winning gold this summer. Kratch's comment about the other SKWC makes me nervous.

What makes you nervous? Sunkist is a superior freestyle training entity which is why they went there. As you can see, Nick needs to be focused on freestyle if he wants to make the US Olympic Team. The only question now is do they want to interrupt that training to try to win the Big Tens and NCAAs. My bet is no. Whatever he decides he is a credit to RU. Go Nick

What makes you nervous? Sunkist is a superior freestyle training entity which is why they went there. As you can see, Nick needs to be focused on freestyle if he wants to make the US Olympic Team. The only question now is do they want to interrupt that training to try to win the Big Tens and NCAAs. My bet is no. Whatever he decides he is a credit to RU. Go Nick
That he won't wear a Rutgers singlet again.

I don’t think he wears one this year but after the Olympics next year is always there.

the problem is nick turns 24 in April, he was a hold back in 8th grade. I’d assume after the Olympics, he just wants to get on with his life

the problem is nick turns 24 in April, he was a hold back in 8th grade. I’d assume after the Olympics, he just wants to get on with his life
His life could involve plenty of things where a resume that says 2x NCAA champion gets him more money or a better opportunity. Coaching or training at an RTC for example.

Love to see Nick and Seabass coaching at Rutgers. They bring the attitude and resume that will take us to being a podium contender.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Retaining, ash, Suriano and sea bass is something that can take our program to the next level. A lot of recruiting inroads, expertise, and trading partners. Names and resumes like theirs matter.

I beg to differ with you gentlemen. I don't think Suriano's loyalty to Rutgers is as profound as you think. Nick Suriano is about Nick Suriano...period...end of sentence. No doubt about it that he's one of the greatest that New Jersey has ever produced, and is arguably the best wrestler Rutgers has ever seen. But his wannabe Roman Gladiator Victory speeches, and that father of his just ruins any chance of him being respected and treasured as a piece of Rutgers athletic history. I highly doubt we'll ever see Nick Suriano again on-campus let alone in an RU singlet

I beg to differ with you gentlemen. I don't think Suriano's loyalty to Rutgers is as profound as you think. Nick Suriano is about Nick Suriano...period...end of sentence. No doubt about it that he's one of the greatest that New Jersey has ever produced, and is arguably the best wrestler Rutgers has ever seen. But his wannabe Roman Gladiator Victory speeches, and that father of his just ruins any chance of him being respected and treasured as a piece of Rutgers athletic history. I highly doubt we'll ever see Nick Suriano again on-campus let alone in an RU singlet

If he wrestles again in college... It will most likely be in an RU singlet...

I just agreed that retaining him with the RU program in some capacity would be great, not that he was going to be back. That is up to Nick

But his wannabe Roman Gladiator Victory speeches, and that father of his just ruins any chance of him being respected and treasured as a piece of Rutgers athletic history.
His name is literally hanging from the rafters in the RAC but ok

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
[/QUOTE
I agree he is a different breed of individual but that’s also what makes him great. At the end of the day he is RU’s 1st NCAA champ ever and will go down as one of our greatest ever. Like him or not.

His name is literally hanging from the rafters in the RAC but ok
I think you're missing the point. We all know where his banner is. I've questioned his loyalty to the program since the day he stepped foot on the banks. Anthony National has always bled Ru Scarlet. His loyalty to this university has been unprecedented. That being said we made too many accommodations to a wrestler like Nick suriano,. Yes it did pay off, but that does not give him the right to come strolling back whenever he feels like it and taking a spot from an already rustler that has put his time and energy in

I know very little about wrestling, but if there is no age limit to compete in the NCAA and he is keeping the Rutgers coaches in the loop about what he is doing and they are ok with it, why is him trying for the Olympics an issue?

I think you're missing the point. We all know where his banner is. I've questioned his loyalty to the program since the day he stepped foot on the banks. Anthony National has always bled Ru Scarlet. His loyalty to this university has been unprecedented. That being said we made too many accommodations to a wrestler like Nick suriano,. Yes it did pay off, but that does not give him the right to come strolling back whenever he feels like it and taking a spot from an already rustler that has put his time and energy in
You can have your opinion on what he’s doing but to say he’s not a treasured piece of Rutgers history is a little ridiculous

But his wannabe Roman Gladiator Victory speeches, and that father of his just ruins any chance of him being respected and treasured as a piece of Rutgers athletic history. I highly doubt we'll ever see Nick Suriano again on-campus let alone in an RU singlet

Say what you want about the dad, but the warrior/gladiator stuff is great. If he dons a RU uni and wins the B1G and/or NCAA titles again, he can give me a gladiator speech anytime he wants...before and after each match, PLUS in between periods.

Say what you want about the dad, but the warrior/gladiator stuff is great. If he dons a RU uni and wins the B1G and/or NCAA titles again, he can give me a gladiator speech anytime he wants...before and after each match, PLUS in between periods.
Let him wear a battle helmet and carry a sword out during the lehighs. Ride a damn war horse to weigh ins.

And the more I think about what you said Crackers, Nick isn't a "wanna be...gladiator". He's the real deal.

Flo had an interesting podcast talking about Nicky, the Henri tourney and whether he will wear an RU singlet this year. Their point was that he is on a roll now training with Perry at Sunkist in a bubble. Why risk getting a positive training at RU with our team risking screwing up his Olympic dreams. To me the other issue is that he is laser focused on freestyle and why change up to training for folk style and then going back with a few weeks left for the Trials to freestyle

Bullshit...he is already respected and a piece of RU athletic history whether you like him or not ..if he adds to that history then good for everyone ..his dad is a piece of work for sure but to say nick isn’t respected is just a flat out lie

I know very little about wrestling, but if there is no age limit to compete in the NCAA and he is keeping the Rutgers coaches in the loop about what he is doing and they are ok with it, why is him trying for the Olympics an issue?
It’s only an issue to guys here who don’t like him for whatever reason...from what I’ve heard the coaches are in the loop so why not try for the Olympic .its not like we have had wrestlers of that caliber before ..if AA wanted to take that path im sure the coaches woulda felt the same way

I have heard a lot of rumors about Nick's dad. No idea how accurate. What is clear is that he cares about his son. He removed him from Penn State when that wasn't the best situation for Nick. He led him to Rutgers where he finished #2 (while injured) followed the next year being #1 in the country. Along the way Nick became the best wrestler in Rutgers history. If wins the Gold, all America will be proud and his dad will have made the best decisions for Nick and brought fame to Rutgers. If Nick returns to RU to compete before the Olympics he will win another NCAA title or finish 2nd. Sounds like a dad who really cares about his son and along the way Rutgers got its first top ten finish ever.

I have heard a lot of rumors about Nick's dad. No idea how accurate. What is clear is that he cares about his son. He removed him from Penn State when that wasn't the best situation for Nick. He led him to Rutgers where he finished #2 (while injured) followed the next year being #1 in the country. Along the way Nick became the best wrestler in Rutgers history. If wins the Gold, all America will be proud and his dad will have made the best decisions for Nick and brought fame to Rutgers. If Nick returns to RU to compete before the Olympics he will win another NCAA title or finish 2nd. Sounds like a dad who really cares about his son and along the way Rutgers got its first top ten finish ever.

Well said Racpack.

I second that and we should absolutely support him all the way. He has already won an NCAA title for Rutgers putting our University on the map. I think Nick has earned the right to do things his way. Quite frankly whatever he has been doing with the guidance of his father seems to be working.

Go Nicky we are proud of you always!!

What happens if the 2020ne Tokyo Olympics are canceled...

tenor.gif

So far it looks like Bob Suriano has made all of the right decisions so far in getting his son to the point where he could be the favorite to represent the US at the Olympic Gsmes. Taking him to Russia, Italy and Sunkist Kids to train seems to have been the right thing to enhance his freestyle skills. That is not to say that made Scott Goodale’s job easier building the RU wrestling program with those training methods.

Yes Nick can wrestle next season Duke should he choose to and should coach Goodale want him to be on the RU roster.

Nothing ominous just a factual statement like in football with 5 year seniors that scholarship is not guaranteed

Speaking of no age limit, rumor has it that Billy G is applying for a medical redshirt with the idea of joining the team next year as a backup/motivational piece. Great addition to the room. $$$$

Dollarbill
My paper work is in the NCAAs hands right now for that medical redshirt. Will let you know when it is processed. For the record, I would love to have Nick Dutisno st RU this year, next year and every year thereafter. He and his dad and mom have been nothing but kind, cordial and respectful toward me since he arrived at RU.

Reactions: dollarbill
ADVERTISEMENT