ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Status

wngarbarini

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 4, 2006
For those of you, myself included who have always viewed Cael Sanderson as an upright and classy guy, myself included, this may change you opinion as it did mine. First the good news. Sanderson and PSU has released Nicky Suriano from his scholarship to go to Rutgers. Now the bad news. Cael and the AD have not given him a Big Ten waiver in order for him to wrestle immediately at Rutgers. His reasons can be one of two in my opinion. First he wants to send a message to top current and future wrestlers, you ain't transferring to a Big Ten school without a penalty which is missing a year. The second reason is that he wants to punish Nicky for leaving. If he did not want to punish him he would sign the waiver. The kid wants to come home and be with his family. Now it goes to a Big Ten Waiver commiitee for a ruling but without PSU waiver that will clearly hurt us. If it is turned down, Nicky will only have 2 years of eligibility left if he still decides to come here. I gues CS is a good initial to use for Cael Sanderson. He probably wants to lower the number of times he would get his ass kicked by Nicky in duals and tourneys or he thinks he will go somewher else than RU. Class guy, I think not. Have at it PSU posters.

So the thinking was that with PSU blessing, Nick would have a better shot at a favorable ruling from the Big Ten office on allowing a waiver of the sit rule? I can buy that. Can you make a guess at what are the odds Nick comes to RU without that waiver?

Cael has no power to give him a " Big Ten waiver". By NCAA rules, he does have the power to tailor the release in a way that limits where he can transfer without losing eligibility (other than in the Big 10, who has their own rule), is that what you are stating? That he was released to anywhere except the Big 10?

If he has been given a true, non-restricted release, he will still have to deal with the big 10 and get a waiver of their transfer rule to be immediately eligible.

Last edited:
Yes we have a good chance with PSU waiver. He is not returning to PSU so there is no reason for them not to grant it or than spite and punishment. I don't know about the committe so don't want to speculate on the odds they grant it. The odds NS comes here without it, not good I would think

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Correct on the waiver granting. If he granted it the odds are clearly better the committee grants.

For those of you, myself included who have always viewed Cael Sanderson as an upright and classy guy, myself included, this may change you opinion as it did mine. First the good news. Sanderson and PSU has released Nicky Suriano from his scholarship to go to Rutgers. Now the bad news. Cael and the AD have not given him a Big Ten waiver in order for him to wrestle immediately at Rutgers. His reasons can be one of two in my opinion. First he wants to send a message to top current and future wrestlers, you ain't transferring to a Big Ten school without a penalty which is missing a year. The second reason is that he wants to punish Nicky for leaving. If he did not want to punish him he would sign the waiver. The kid wants to come home and be with his family. Now it goes to a Big Ten Waiver commiitee for a ruling but without PSU waiver that will clearly hurt us. If it is turned down, Nicky will only have 2 years of eligibility left if he still decides to come here. I gues CS is a good initial to use for Cael Sanderson. He probably wants to lower the number of times he would get his ass kicked by Nicky in duals and tourneys or he thinks he will go somewher else than RU. Class guy, I think not. Have at it PSU posters.
What is this PSU B1G waiver to make him immediately eligible that you speak of?????? Can you please give me some examples of that that have occurred in the past (I'll give you a head start on checking on this - you can't).

If PSU has given Nick his release - that means he can accept scholarship money from RU next year. If he wants to wrestle immediately and have three years to compete, it will be up to the B1G committee to waive it's rule according to circumstances - as it always has.

Nothing really new to see here except someone else who is confused by NCAA and B1G rules - which is pretty much everyone including most people who are paid to abide by them.

It's up to the B1G, that's the rule. Cael has broken no rule whatsoever, and has no obligation to do anything. He is by far the biggest promoter of the sport. His name and success helps wrestling probably more than anyone, that includes international as well.

Reactions: jerseylion109
Rutgers would have a good chance to get the Big 10 to waive its rules if it was located about 600 miles to the Northwest and was located in Ann Arbor

And Nick was a rifle-armed QB

And the Ann Arbor Rutgers desperately needed a QB

My uninformed translation on this:

Crap, Suriano is now thinking about going to (insert non-B1G school here) instead of RU so he doesn't have to deal with needing a ruling. He is now free to accept a scholarship anywhere, but maybe not losing a competition year to the B1G is more important than going to RU.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
My uninformed translation on this:

Crap, Suriano is now thinking about going to (insert non-B1G school here) instead of RU so he doesn't have to deal with needing a ruling. He is now free to accept a scholarship anywhere, but maybe not losing a competition year to the B1G is more important than going to RU.
I just wish Nick the best and will always root for him, unless against Penn State.

Nick Suriano to Rutgers? Penn State will not support wrestling star's Big Ten waiver, source says

The path back home for one of the greatest wrestlers in New Jersey history will not be supported by Penn State and could result in a missed program-changing opportunity for Rutgers, a source with knowledge of the situation told NJ Advance Media.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...no_to_rutgers_source_penn_state_will_not.html
Interpreting the above, PSU has given Suriano a release, but with limitations. That is different than what the OP has stated.

Then again, with all the confusion surrounding this issue, it would not surprise me one bit if NJ.com was off on this as well.

Reactions: Hotshoe
The big ten rule is that you lose a year of eligibility unless you get a waiver from the big ten. The sit out/immediately eligible restriction is NCAA rule for basketball/football.

The issue here is that PSU has refused to give their blessing with the big ten waiver. So, if the big ten declines his waiver he would be immediately eligible at Rutgers, however he would lose a year of eligibility.

Yes we have a good chance with PSU waiver. He is not returning to PSU so there is no reason for them not to grant it or than spite and punishment. I don't know about the committe so don't want to speculate on the odds they grant it. The odds NS comes here without it, not good I would think
Could you produce a copy or an example of this "waiver" the B10 needs from Cael to help Nick keep his eligibility? Before I disparage any coach or program, I'd like to see first hand myself that one actually exists before making a decision.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Typical scumbag Penn State. That school should have been shut down after joe pa and his rape fest out there.

Reactions: superfan01
I didn't think CS would be like that... Was his big fan, but no more.

The big ten rule is that you lose a year of eligibility unless you get a waiver from the big ten. The sit out/immediately eligible restriction is NCAA rule for basketball/football.

The issue here is that PSU has refused to give their blessing with the big ten waiver. So, if the big ten declines his waiver he would be immediately eligible at Rutgers, however he would lose a year of eligibility.
Are you saying the conference doesn't really go by written rules but instead by the "wishes" a/o "blessings" of those affected by transfers? That seems like a weird way to go about running an athletic conference to me..

Reactions: VRE and D3wrestler
Interpreting the above, PSU has given Suriano a release, but with limitations. That is different than what the OP has stated.

Then again, with all the confusion surrounding this issue, it would not surprise me one bit if NJ.com was off on this as well.
People hearing what they want to hear, regardless of what the actual rules say.

There is no provision for the outgoing school to have any input toward a B10 waiver, pro or con.

Below is the applicable rule. (Section 1 is about pre-matriculation and therefore does not apply here.)

Note that the only listed exceptions do not apply here.

2. Post Matriculation. A student-athlete that has signed a tender from a Conference institution and has triggered transfer status per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.2 (conditions affecting transfer status), may not represent an alternate Big Ten institution in intercollegiate athletics competition until the individual has completed one (1) full academic year of residence at the alternate (i.e., certifying) Big Ten institution and shall be charged with the loss of one (1) season of eligibility in all sports.

3. Pre- and Post-Matriculation Exceptions
a. Cancellation of Tender Due to Inadmissibility. When a prospective student-athlete is inadmissible to the institution for which a tender has been accepted, the tender shall be considered null and void and the intraconference transfer penalty does not apply.
b. Dropped Sport. When a Conference institution drops the student-athlete’s sport in which the student-athlete has participated, the intraconference penalty does not apply.

Your misunderstanding/misstatement of the B1G rules aside...

So, Nick bears no responsibility for a decision that he AND HIS FAMILY made? No personal accountability for his decision?

Casual wrestling observer--is wrestling significantly different than football/basketball in terms of transfer expectations? For example, if we were losing an athlete who was likely going to PSU I probably wouldn't want the waiver supported. Not sure if the expectation is different here.
No, it's not. What you are seeing here is people that want their cake and to eat it, too.

No reason? If Nick wrestles in the Big Ten championships, do you think he might affect the outcome of the 125 pound bracket? Could that affect the team scoring?

You people make me laugh. Go back and read my post and not selectively. A special committee will meet on whether to grant a waiver to Nicky which may be a yes or no. With PSU's granting a waiver, it will be a heck of a lot easier to get it than if they do not. The only reason not to do so is he wants to PUNISH Nicky. What else? He figures Nicky will not go to RU and lose a year so he would only have to face him for 2 years and not 3. You you PSU fans have any other plausible reason?

Your misunderstanding/misstatement of the B1G rules aside...

So, Nick bears no responsibility for a decision that he AND HIS FAMILY made? No personal accountability for his decision?

I hope you come out as strong against coaches in any sport when they "change their mind" and take another opportunity as you do a 19 year old wanting to change his mind and persue another opportunity.

It seems like common sense that if the Big Ten would entertain an application of a waiver of the rule (and we know they have waived it in limited circumstances in the past), then the consent of the former school would be relevant in the determination.

PSU fans want to act like its cut and dry, but obviously its not that cut and dry, because while the rule is explicit, it has been wavied before, so there is clearly precedent. That said, unless Nick can show true hardship - more than "I want to go home" - I think its unlikely a conference waiver is coming to help dear old Rutgers.

So this one seems about over to me - at least for Rutgers. I will continue to hope, however, that there are non-public grounds that are deemed worthy to support a release and waiver so he can come to Rutgers.

I hope you come out as strong against coaches in any sport when they "change their mind" and take another opportunity as you do a 19 year old wanting to change his mind and persue another opportunity.
You think Nick made this decision in a vacuum, with no input from his family, other coaches, etc.? I get you want to portray it as "poor Nick, he's just a kid." But, the reality is his he made the decision with a host of people offering advice, and the support of his family.

It seems like common sense that if the Big Ten would entertain an application of a waiver of the rule (and we know they have waived it in limited circumstances in the past), then the consent of the former school would be relevant in the determination.

PSU fans want to act like its cut and dry, but obviously its not that cut and dry, because while the rule is explicit, it has been wavied before, so there is clearly precedent.
Please enlighten us on where the decision was made in the past, and what relevance the former school's input had on the B1G's decision.

PSU fans want to act like its cut and dry, but obviously its not that cut and dry, because while the rule is explicit, it has been wavied before, so there is clearly precedent. That said, unless Nick can show true hardship - more than "I want to go home" - I think its unlikely a conference waiver is coming to help dear old Rutgers.

So this one seems about over to me - at least for Rutgers. I will continue to hope, however, that there are non-public grounds that are deemed worthy to support a release and waiver so he can come to Rutgers.
This. Pretty simple.

You people make me laugh. Go back and read my post and not selectively. A special committee will meet on whether to grant a waiver to Nicky which may be a yes or no. With PSU's granting a waiver, it will be a heck of a lot easier to get it than if they do not. The only reason not to do so is he wants to PUNISH Nicky. What else? He figures Nicky will not go to RU and lose a year so he would only have to face him for 2 years and not 3. You you PSU fans have any other plausible reason?

Bill, like all RU fans I want Nick to come to RU, but here is exactly what you typed in your OP.
"First the good news. Sanderson and PSU has released Nicky Suriano from his scholarship to go to Rutgers. Now the bad news. Cael and the AD have not given him a Big Ten waiver in order for him to wrestle immediately at Rutgers. "

If PSU has given Nick his release that is all they can do. PSU cannot "give" him a BigTen waiver in order to wrestle next season. That will only be determined by a BigTen Committee. Either you are not understanding what someone told you or they told you the incorrect information. Just look at Cortez who transferred from Illinois to PSU, Cortez decided that he did not care that the he would lose a year of eligibility transferring from a BigTen to BigTen school.

Please enlighten us on where the decision was made in the past, and what relevance the former school's input had on the B1G's decision.

Please, eat shit. Obviously I don't have that information, as its all non-public. You know that. But you also know the rule has been waived before. And that waiver didn't fall from the sky. Someone at Big Ten offices got together and decided whether or not it was appropriate. We know they've done it when coaches left. Who knows what the other criteria or factors are that they would deem worthy. Its obviously easy to dream up non-public issues that might justify a waiver of the rule, but as to what they would accept, who knows.

What I do know, is that when any committee, court, panel, arbitrator or mediator meets, on any decision, if both sides affected have agreed on what is appropriate, that agreement of the parties involved will always be considered.

No, it's not. What you are seeing here is people that want their cake and to eat it, too.
Hey numbnuts any committee is going to want to hear all sides of the argument before granting or denying anything. They'll want to hear what Nick has to say, what RU has to say and believe it or not what psu has to say on the matter. Then and only then will they make their decision. So yea all parties view points are going to be considered.

You must be a special kind of stupid if you think they just go into a room read that rule book and say well there it is denied for anyone and everyone. All factors are considered before a ruling is made. If psu says ok he can wrestle without losing a year that will be factored into their judgement. If they say no that will also be factored in. It's not the final say but can persuade the matter.

Last edited:
I'm astonished that our friends to the east of us don't understand why rules are in place for these sorts of matters. It's surprises me even more seeing some of you using the terms "blessing" a/o "wishes when it comes to the B10 makingb decisions when it comes to transfers. Surely you understand that ALL B10 teams are affected by a transfer not just the two teams directly involved.

Let's use Rutgers and Ohio State as an example here. What if those two schools are the co-favorites to win the title this year. A Suriano transfer to Rutgers would then make them the favorite. Do you think Ohio State would have a legitimate gripe if the Big10 took into consideration a Cael Sanderson "blessing" when making a decision on Nicks eligibility? Of course they would. Do you guys understand how programs and coaching staffs could become corrupt if the Big10 did business this way?

Say David Taylor goes on and coaches... oh I don't know... let's say Wisconsin one day. Let's say in 2023 Iowa and Penn State are the two clear cut favorites. Penn State has a major weak spot at 125 and Wisconsin has a returning finalist at the weight but the rest of the team is just weak. Taylor gives the stud 125 his "blessing" to join PSU. If you're an Iowa fan what would be your first thought here? I'm sure it'd be the same as mine in that Cael and Taylor worked out a deal behind closed doors.... right? You'd go ballistic if you were Brands or even a Hawkeyes fan.

What if a couple years later Wisky has a great team yet needs a 145. Cael over recruited, has two studs at the weight then gives his "blessing" for one of them to join Taylor at Wisconsin who goes on and wins the National Championship over Ohio State because of that transfers points. Do you Tom Ryan would call foul? Would wrestling fans question Cael's "blessing"? Would the Big10 receive and big fat black eye because they made a decision over a "blessing"? Better yet, what if that wrestler was considering Ohio State and Cael declined giving his "blessing" to them yet had no problem giving it to Wisconsin.

My point is, stop being short sighted folks. There's a reason there are rules in place. You think this is all about Rutgers and PSU but it's not. Transfer rules affect every team in the conference.

Reactions: JBott
I'll make this simple. PSU could and should say to the committee that they have no issue with the committee waiving the rule and allowing Suriano to wrestle for 3 years. However they have not done so.

What we do not know is if they would say that if he decides to go to another B1G school. Is their position anti RU or anti-B1G.

Reactions: RickB113
I'm astonished that our friends to the east of us don't understand why rules are in place for these sorts of matters. It's surprises me even more seeing some of you using the terms "blessing" a/o "wishes when it comes to the B10 makingb decisions when it comes to transfers. Surely you understand that ALL B10 teams are affected by a transfer not just the two teams directly involved.

Let's use Rutgers and Ohio State as an example here. What if those two schools are the co-favorites to win the title this year. A Suriano transfer to Rutgers would then make them the favorite. Do you think Ohio State would have a legitimate gripe if the Big10 took into consideration a Cael Sanderson "blessing" when making a decision on Nicks eligibility? Of course they would. Do you guys understand how programs and coaching staffs could become corrupt if the Big10 did business this way?

Say David Taylor goes on and coaches... oh I don't know... let's say Wisconsin one day. Let's say in 2023 Iowa and Penn State are the two clear cut favorites. Penn State has a major weak spot at 125 and Wisconsin has a returning finalist at the weight but the rest of the team is just weak. Taylor gives the stud 125 his "blessing" to join PSU. If you're an Iowa fan what would be your first thought here? I'm sure it'd be the same as mine in that Cael and Taylor worked out a deal behind closed doors.... right? You'd go ballistic if you were Brands or even a Hawkeyes fan.

What if a couple years later Wisky has a great team yet needs a 145. Cael over recruited, has two studs at the weight then gives his "blessing" for one of them to join Taylor at Wisconsin who goes on and wins the National Championship over Ohio State because of that transfers points. Do you Tom Ryan would call foul? Would wrestling fans question Cael's "blessing"? Would the Big10 receive and big fat black eye because they made a decision over a "blessing"? Better yet, what if that wrestler was considering Ohio State and Cael declined giving his "blessing" to them yet had no problem giving it to Wisconsin.

My point is, stop being short sighted folks. There's a reason there are rules in place. You think this is all about Rutgers and PSU but it's not. Transfer rules affect every team in the conference.
You guys have so much practice rationalizing what Joe did/or didn't do and arguing every relevant piece of evidence that one is unable to have logical argument. Masters of beating a dead horse.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
This. Pretty simple.
It's not simple, because the OP's language does not portray the reality of the situation. And, everyone else appears to just be ignoring that fact. PSU can grant a release, conditional or unconditional. They can't grant a B1G waiver to a B1G rule. That's simple.

I'll make this simple. PSU could and should say to the committee that they have no issue with the committee waiving the rule and allowing Suriano to wrestle for 3 years. However they have not done so.

What we do not know is if they would say that if he decides to go to another B1G school. Is their position anti RU or anti-B1G.
Why SHOULD Penn State do that? If Penn State issued a release, why should they offer any more support to a kid that wants to leave their program? He made the decision to leave all on his own, so he needs to accept the personal responsibility that comes with making a decision like that. Or, do you not believe in personal accountability for your decisions?

ADVERTISEMENT