ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano Transfer Comparison ?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
I am not a huge wrestling fan (not because I don't like the sport,it is just one of the few I did not at least try as a kid),but do go to some matches . How big is this possible transfer ? Is this on the level of Earl Duncan/Keith Hughes ? Thanks for any comments.

Who's the BEST high school football or bball player EVER from NJ.... Who went to Alabama/OSU for football or Kentucky/Duke/UNC for bball and as a freshmen in college was top 2 at his position in the entire country?
That's, I think, the exact comparison!

Cary Kolat. PSU to Lock Haven. Two time AA at PSU (2nd and 3rd). Two Nat champs at the Haven. Two good programs, not like PSU is now, but a big transfer nonetheless.

Reactions: RUpop
Cary Kolat. PSU to Lock Haven. Two time AA at PSU (2nd and 3rd). Two Nat champs at the Haven. Two good programs, not like PSU is now, but a big transfer nonetheless.

That's actually a very good comparison. Lock Haven hadn't had a NCAA champ since 1953 (coincidentally the last year PSU won a national team championship before 2011) and Penn State was pretty consistently a top 5 team in the 1990s. The team finished 6, 3, 3, 2, 3, 5, 4, 10, 4 and 4 during that decade.

Steve Mocco and Ray Brinzer (to a lesser degree) are also good comparisons, although they went from one historically elite program to another (flip-flopping their transfer landings, Mocco going from Iowa to OK State and Brinzer moving the other way). Mocco was also rumored to be transferring from Iowa to Lehigh before he wound up at OSU.

I'd probably go with Kolat - leaving a team that finished 2nd and 3rd during his true freshman and sophomore years to go a team with a solid history in the NAIA, but with only one prior individual national champ.

Reactions: RUpop
The question was how Big is this transfer.
I am not a huge wrestling fan (not because I don't like the sport,it is just one of the few I did not at least try as a kid),but do go to some matches . How big is this possible transfer ? Is this on the level of Earl Duncan/Keith Hughes ? Thanks for any comments.

I remember when Duncan and Hughes transferred to RU. I don't however, remember how highly rated these players were during their high school recruiting times. Suriano is a cream of the crop wrestler who would have most likely been seeded 3rd this year in the NCAA tourney, as a true freshman. How about Karl Anthony Towns transferring from Kentucky to Rutgers? That might be a little over the top considering Towns was THE top player in men's BB. But Suriano is close to that.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I remember when Duncan and Hughes transferred to RU. I don't however, remember how highly rated these players were during their high school recruiting times. Suriano is a cream of the crop wrestler who would have most likely been seeded 3rd this year in the NCAA tourney, as a true freshman. How about Karl Anthony Towns transferring from Kentucky to Rutgers? That might be a little over the top considering Towns was THE top player in men's BB. But Suriano is close to that.
You should sit in ScarletNation timeout for ever using a pumpkin bouncing analogy for a wrestling issue. ;)

You should sit in ScarletNation timeout for ever using a pumpkin bouncing analogy for a wrestling issue. ;)

No timeout needed. I know there is a difference..but the OP referenced basketball. So I stayed along those lines for his sake. If he doesn't get the significance of Suriano, it would be meaningless to speak in wrestling comparisons. So I get I get a hall pass from the timeout.

Last edited:
I think the answer to the OP is "much bigger" than those. I'd have a hard time thinking of a BB transfer at any school which would be on the same level. Something like a first or second team AA transferring would be similar, but I can't think of any that did.

The major difference is Suriano hasn't been arrested and is academically eligible unlike Kolat when he transferred.

ADVERTISEMENT