ADVERTISEMENT

Nigel Johnson transferring

well this is a kick in the balls

nigel was fantastic towards the second half of the season. Keys are Coreys now. Hopefully he doesnt follow suit.

Reactions: DECKRU
This as expected since the middle of the season and then perhaps lessened a bit by his finish that maybe it wouldn't happen, but still highly likely....when the HC tells fans at the Court Club he's still recruiting a PG for next year, it was crystal clear why.....it also again explains why Souf Mensah, regardless of how talented or not talented he may be, was recruited as a small insurance policy.

Needless to say, we need another guard. Right now, it's just Sanders (maybe), Baker and Mensah. Hopefully, it can almost work like a trade where Pikiell picks up a graduate transfer guard. Hopefully around 6'4, that can shoot.

This as expected since the middle of the season and then perhaps lessened a bit by his finish that maybe it wouldn't happen, but still highly likely....when the HC tells fans at the Court Club he's still recruiting a PG for next year, it was crystal clear why.....it also again explains why Souf Mensah, regardless of how talented or not talented he may be, was recruited as a small insurance policy.
Maybe you expected it, but judging by this thread the rest of us didn't. No spinning what a big loss this.

Definitely isn't ideal, but congrats to Nigel on graduating and continuing his dream.

Reactions: LC-88
We had Nigel for 2 years and he only played one. He just recently commented to he was coming back. This was another case of a guy looking out for himself. Hopefully we can find a guy who can give us a little more height and a little bit of shooting avility.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Are you saying that you expected Nigel to transfer out of RU?

He came to RU to play for Eddie because of the relationship they built. It sucks he's leaving but it's a lot of moving factors in these guys lives.

This kind of really sucks. Was hoping for one more year with him. If he could find some more consistency in his offense, he'd be very very good. Damn...oh well..onto the next.

I also said 2 months ago that if he graduated I could see him being a transfer for one year. Than he said he was coming back and I believed him so now this surprised me a bit today. I think he was treated pretty well here but kids today often think things will be better somewhere else. Hopefully it will work out for him.

Maybe you expected it, but judging by this thread the rest of us didn't. No spinning what a big loss this.

It's only a loss if you don't get a comparable player or better player down the road for 2018 and beyond.....Nigel played very well and would have had a big season here and I'm certain he will elsewhere....some players want to be the lead guard and carve their own path. There are dozens of 5th year transfers that have hit the market throughout March that can contribute on the roster at Small Forward, Power Forward, Center and Point guard.

Between now and September/October will determine whether RU is better or worse, which is recruiting and beyond 2017-2018's season....obviously as of today, RU is worse off without Nigel than with him.....But I also am pretty certain RU will be more balanced and well rounded across the board next year as well, which should hopefully reflect in an even better record.

Well that sucks.

Not sure why he would risk moving on to another program for 1 year when he knows the guaranteed opportunity and playing time available at RU.

I don't care if it's expected or not. Good luck replacing him. I'm not a sky is falling type, but who are we going to replace him with

Well.....I assume we will hear if others are transferring soon. This is about the time ( after Spring Break) that Pikiell and Staff are holding their post-season 1-on-1 conversations with all the players.

I assume a Grad Transfer would be needed to fill this spot.....hopefully, a dead eye shooter, maybe someone with a little more height and length than Nigel Johnson.

That is the only question. Until then you can't say if it's a good or bad.

On a side note, I thought he and Corey were boys. Seems to be more to this.
Agree that you can't say it's good or bad. Just going by recent history, I'm not expecting much

Perhaps Corey told him he wasn't coming back and that changed his mind on staying. They were supposedly close. Would make sense considering he just stated he was coming back. This is a huge loss and exposes the terrible recruiting class we have coming in. If Mensah is playing more than five minutes a game we will be back to Eddie type seasons.

This hurts depth at guard. But aside from that I don't know anything else for certain until the roster fills out. Mike Williams gets more minutes. We lose a combo guard with an identity crisis. Add a physically ready juco true PG and a not physically ready freshman true 2guard. Coach was obviously ready for this.

Last edited:
Perhaps Corey told him he wasn't coming back and that changed his mind on staying. They were supposedly close. Would make sense considering he just stated he was coming back. This is a huge loss and exposes the terrible recruiting class we have coming in. If Mensah is playing more than five minutes a game we will be back to Eddie type seasons.

Silly comment about a guy not even here. Give it a rest until he practices and plays.

It's only a loss if you don't get a comparable player or better player down the road for 2018 and beyond.....Nigel played very well and would have had a big season here and I'm certain he will elsewhere....some players want to be the lead guard and carve their own path. There are dozens of 5th year transfers that have hit the market throughout March that can contribute on the roster at Small Forward, Power Forward, Center and Point guard.

Between now and September/October will determine whether RU is better or worse, which is recruiting and beyond 2017-2018's season....obviously as of today, RU is worse off without Nigel than with him.....But I also am pretty certain RU will be more balanced and well rounded across the board next year as well, which should hopefully reflect in an even better record.
Please don't spin this. It's not good news no matter who we get.

Reactions: Local Shill
Any way you slice it losing a player of Nigel's caliber this late in the recruiting cycle sucks!

Are you saying that you expected Nigel to transfer out of RU?
yes....there are some places beyond this site, that have pretty specific information that I've not posted on what and why....the post home game Iowa game specifically...I think this was a mutual decision by both player and staff....doesn't mean it's not a hit to the RU production, but everyone has to pull in the same direction.

That is the only question. Until then you can't say if it's a good or bad.

On a side note, I thought he and Corey were boys. Seems to be more to this.
I know coach wants BIG guards and a dire need for a solid PG. This could of been a mutual decision with coach and player. Time to simply trust coach and staff as they revamp roster.

While he was one of only a few you could count on to score, I agree that he seemed out of control much of the time and I am not sure he was a team oriented guy. Maybe he did not like sitting against Illinois for a good stretch and seeing the team play better without him. He did rebound with a nice game against Ohio State. The impact on the next years team will depend on how he is replace. It will be interesting to see where he lands. I would think the number of players that will be leaving the team via transfer has now increased to three.

There are potentially 2-3 guards that have been tracked and monitored by the staff on the recruiting trail for 2017 and on the JUCO circuit as well.....my ideal addition would be another freshman guard to add with Baker and to reclassify Doucoure to 2017, once the other departures are eventually announced.

I don't know if these other guards have been offered, but they are not as good as Nigel Johnson would have been for 2017-18, so there is a huge drop of production etc....but if there isn't a consistency where a player is team first, then you are better off turning those shot attempts to Geo Baker and Mike Williams, vs Nigel Johnson.

This doesn't change anything as far as what has to happen for recruiting....the bulk of the future of RU basketball is reliant on the next 6-18 months of recruiting....can we retool the roster for next year and beyond where 2018's recruiting is critical??.....Nigel Johnson isn't going to make or break RU's basketball future/rebuild, finding the right fits this spring and for 2018 will.

Addition by subtraction to anyone who knows basketball. He had the worst +/- on our team. His out of control drives in which he would just chuck the ball up and get stuffed led to too many easy transition baskets. Kinda glad hes gone tbh
Looked like a guy to me that could d his man up pretty well, decent handle, and hit free throws when we needed them (osu in particular). Not to mention when he was on could get pretty hot shooting.

Not sure how him going is a good thing at all.

Reactions: soundcrib
I think it's important that the replacement for Nigel Johnson is a Grad Transfer. We need to keep those 4-5 spots open for the 2018 recruiting class that the staff has been hard at work trying to get here.

Well that blows.:confused: We only got one year out of him, while he ate up a scholarship for the other. That sucks, I mean he seemed to play lackadaisical at times and out of control at others, but when he got hot he could shoot.

Last edited:
Damn, really surprised by this. I thought he had a good chance to play a huge part next year

Nonetheless, I wish this kid a killer career. I hope wherever he goes, he scores and succeeds.

I am sure the program will be all right.

To infinity!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT