ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - what other schools (and Rutgers) are doing

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
Hey guys, I posted this on the RT but it's just a heads up as to what other schools are doing
Fascinating stuff, and it's only just begun...

NIL (Now It's Legal) is certainly evolving before our eyes
As you guys know, I'm an FSU first and Rutgers second, and actively follow / have tickets for / donate to both universities' collectives & teams

Noles currently have 3 collectives simultaneously going on
Note, this is not a wealthy fanbase by any stretch

Women's school until 1947
Constantly and still being held down by UF in statewide government issues
Not nearly the war chest of $$ the big boys have, nor the number of donors, no big $$ donor, not generations of doctors/lawyers/etc.
Always got by doing "the most with less"

The skinny:

Battles End
- newest collective, main goal is retention of current players. Football focused
www.on3.com

Battles End joins Florida State NIL collective market with plan for player retention

The Battles End has launched as the latest NIL collective to join the Florida State market with a focus on retention.

Rising Spear - The first collective they launched, merged with Warpath850 in the beta stages. Brokers deals, focuses on all sports, more so a mix of Battles End and Micconope 1851
https://risingspear.com/

Micconope 1851 - Focuses on current college athletes getting financial opportunities (think Caleb, Gavin, etc.)
http://micconope1851.com/

Knights of the Raritan (https://knightsoftheraritan.com/) and Knight Society are what we currently have. Each school does it differently with many different factors playing in (power players, big money donors, fan base, donor base, ex athletes being involved, etc.)

This is a great link showing what each school is doing
https://businessofcollegesports.com/tracker-university-specific-nil-collectives/

It will be interesting to see where this leads us. I firmly believe in NIL and hope we can get corporations / regular fans on board to at least compete in football, consistently make the tourney in bball, and be elite in Olympic sports

College sports is my passion, I love everything about it and sincerely hope that we can step up as a university and fanbase to compete with the big boys. The potential is there, and I'd love to see it come to fruition

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I posted this on the RT but it's just a heads up as to what other schools are doing
Fascinating stuff, and it's only just begun...

NIL (Now It's Legal) is certainly evolving before our eyes
As you guys know, I'm an FSU first and Rutgers second, and actively follow / have tickets for / donate to both universities' collectives & teams

Noles currently have 3 collectives simultaneously going on
Note, this is not a wealthy fanbase by any stretch

Women's school until 1947
Constantly and still being held down by UF in statewide government issues
Not nearly the war chest of $$ the big boys have, nor the number of donors, no big $$ donor, not generations of doctors/lawyers/etc.
Always got by doing "the most with less"

The skinny:

Battles End
- newest collective, main goal is retention of current players. Football focused
www.on3.com

Battles End joins Florida State NIL collective market with plan for player retention

The Battles End has launched as the latest NIL collective to join the Florida State market with a focus on retention.
www.on3.com
www.on3.com

Rising Spear - The first collective they launched, merged with Warpath850 in the beta stages. Brokers deals, focuses on all sports, more so a mix of Battles End and Micconope 1851
https://risingspear.com/

Micconope 1851 - Focuses on current college athletes getting financial opportunities (think Caleb, Gavin, etc.)
http://micconope1851.com/

Knights of the Raritan (https://knightsoftheraritan.com/) and Knight Society (https://www.on3.com/nil/news/eric-l...gers-scarlet-knights-nil-name-image-likeness/) are what we currently have. Each school does it differently with many different factors playing in (power players, big money donors, fan base, donor base, ex athletes being involved, etc.)

This is a great link showing what each school is doing
https://businessofcollegesports.com/tracker-university-specific-nil-collectives/

It will be interesting to see where this leads us. I firmly believe in NIL and hope we can get corporations / regular fans on board to at least compete in football, consistently make the tourney in bball, and be elite in Olympic sports

College sports is my passion, I love everything about it and sincerely hope that we can step up as a university and fanbase to compete with the big boys. The potential is there, and I'd love to see it come to fruition

" I firmly believe in NIL and hope we can get corporations / regular fans on board "

L O L

" I firmly believe in NIL and hope we can get corporations / regular fans on board "

L O L
You may laugh.. but finding a way to sell this to NJ business interests is really the best and only hope we have. Someone needs to work on an angle and a pitch that will be well-received. I think it starts with painting a picture of what it was like to compete for top recruits BEFORE NIL... and suggesting why New Jersey and its businesses did not have a top college sports program for its employees and business partners to follow and enjoy. Then show how a little investment in building relationships with Rutgers athletes now could bring in big fish and how having a relationship now will be cheap compared to what it would take once they go pro. Then suggest some big-name athletes that Rutgers might have gotten.. Jersey Guys.. had NIL been real and funded. Imagine that NIL could have brought Saquan Barkely to Rutgers.. and here he is a NY Giant and your company has a long-term relationship with him. That kind of thing. Plus all the soft stuff about helping Rutgers and New Jersey.. the pride.. the way New Jersey residents will know you were a big part of bringing success to its state university. Etc.

You may laugh.. but finding a way to sell this to NJ business interests is really the best and only hope we have. Someone needs to work on an angle and a pitch that will be well-received. I think it starts with painting a picture of what it was like to compete for top recruits BEFORE NIL... and suggesting why New Jersey and its businesses did not have a top college sports program for its employees and business partners to follow and enjoy. Then show how a little investment in building relationships with Rutgers athletes now could bring in big fish and how having a relationship now will be cheap compared to what it would take once they go pro. Then suggest some big-name athletes that Rutgers might have gotten.. Jersey Guys.. had NIL been real and funded. Imagine that NIL could have brought Saquan Barkely to Rutgers.. and here he is a NY Giant and your company has a long-term relationship with him. That kind of thing. Plus all the soft stuff about helping Rutgers and New Jersey.. the pride.. the way New Jersey residents will know you were a big part of bringing success to its state university. Etc.

I don't disagree with the strategy I disagree with the assumption that this is a good thing and that NJ businesses and fans will run to support it.

Have you looked at who's name is on our football field? I still have never heard of SHI outside of the football field. But yeah Merck and JnJ are going to flock to Rutgers' NIL. As for the fans - hell we can't get fans to buy TICKETS.

I don't disagree with the strategy I disagree with the assumption that this is a good thing and that NJ businesses and fans will run to support it.

Have you looked at who's name is on our football field? I still have never heard of SHI outside of the football field. But yeah Merck and JnJ are going to flock to Rutgers' NIL. As for the fans - hell we can't get fans to buy TICKETS.
While I agree.. and think that M&M Mars should be a prime candidate for stadium naming etc.. not crapping on companies that have stepped up might be a good start.

Reactions: RUScrew85
While I agree.. and think that M&M Mars should be a prime candidate for stadium naming etc.. not crapping on companies that have stepped up might be a good start.

If you're referring to me crapping on them - well I'm a pretty small poop. I don't think they'll even notice. ; )

L O L
For the amount of time, money and passion Team Screw spends on Rutgers, one would think LOL'ing at a situation where said teams could potentially become non-competitive (or in FB's case, completely irreverent), would not be a laughing manner

Conversely, with a little foresight, some creative planning, and a few big donors (along with lots of little donors), those same teams (sans football) could (and should) become dominant on a consistent basis

For the amount of time, money and passion Team Screw spends on Rutgers, one would think LOL'ing at a situation where said teams could potentially become non-competitive (or in FB's case, completely irreverent), would not be a laughing manner

Conversely, with a little foresight, some creative planning, and a few big donors (along with lots of little donors), those same teams (sans football) could (and should) become dominant on a consistent basis

Isn't it against the rules to have two accounts on the board?

I'm not LOL ing at the situation, the situation is tragic. I'm LOL ing at you trying to act like you're making a difference with an unworkable plan.

Reactions: rumarine
Isn't it against the rules to have two accounts on the board?

I'm not LOL ing at the situation, the situation is tragic. I'm LOL ing at you trying to act like you're making a difference with an unworkable plan.
For some reason when I'm on my phone I have to use my original username

Maybe I'll get a board warning, or temporarily banned
Perhaps this post will get removed like the one a few months ago where I called you out for incessant napping, general old-guy crabbiness and not wearing the pants in any aspect of your life

In regard to NIL, what's the point of commenting on something that's not going away if you're not going to offer anything positive

As I've already stated, FB might be a wrap unless we can get some heavy hitters on board.
For other sports (Lax, BBall, Wrestling, etc.), I love the progress we're making and really hope we can continue on an upward trajectory

UF just launched “Gator collective,” which I believe is their second venture

They have a tall task of competiting with Bama, UGA + Tennessee on the field, and now competiting w them on the NIL front as well

Fortunately they have generations of successful people who donate large sums of money

In addition, Ben Hill Griffin endowed all of their fb scholarships about 30 years ago, and got his name put on the stadium for his efforts

Rich people problems…

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT