ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Unless I am reading it wrong the NJ Law is not effective for 5 more years. That puts Rutgers at a huge recruiting disadvantage with at least 17 other states as of this July 1. That makes no sense to me.

I will try this again because no one seems to be concerned about this. It is a huge problem. Geo should be in Trenton to lobby to have the bill amended. Every other Big Ten state except one other will have a bill in place effective this July 1. How can Rutgers compete with Maryland for a basketball or football player if the player will be paid immediately at Maryland through let's say Under Armour. Only Federal legislation or Geo activism can trump the short-sighted NJ legislation.

I will try this again because no one seems to be concerned about this. It is a huge problem. Geo should be in Trenton to lobby to have the bill amended. Every other Big Ten state except one other will have a bill in place effective this July 1. How can Rutgers compete with Maryland for a basketball or football player if the player will be paid immediately at Maryland through let's say Under Armour. Only Federal legislation or Geo activism can trump the short-sighted NJ legislation.
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/geo-in-trenton-today.219212/

That issue is well known and has been written about. Geo specifically mentioned the recruiting disadvantage that this timing would present in his words to the committee and this revision seems to be well on its way to being passed. My concern is that the Rutgers Athletic Dept hasn't come up with a strategy to market to recruits the NIL opportunities that being an RU athlete could afford them. I only have this concern because I haven't read or heard about a strategy so maybe RU does have a plan. Texas, the school Sarah Baumgartner is going to, is already tweeting about the NIL opportunities that the university could provide and it appears that the school will assist in these efforts where it's allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT