ADVERTISEMENT

NJ athletes as walk-ons at other Big Ten programs

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Saw a recent article that Nebraska hired someone to oversee their walk-on program.
He is a San Antonio, TX native who played at TCU and last year was a running backs coach at Oregon State -- an obvious boost to Nebraska's overall recruiting efforts.
Is there a limit to the number of staff a Big Ten football program can have?
Also did a quick Google News check for NJ players walking on at other Big Ten programs.
Found these:
- Nebraska - Donovan McDonald (Stroudsburg, PA, 1 year Montclair, Lackawanna College)
- Michigan - Joe Beneducci (West Morris Mendham)

Anyone know of other NJ athletes walking on other Big Ten programs?

Mike Riley hires Chris Brasfield

Joe Beneducci played 1 football game in 2012 but he did play baseball. I don't think there aren't many walk on that go out of state due to the out of state tuition.

Nebraska had a legendary walk on program in the past, not sure if it is the same now. Maybe Husker can comment.
they would have a huge number of walk ons and it was not surprising to see some become starts during their career..

Out of state tuition for Beneducci is a non-issue. His Dad is a majordomo in the insurance field and family resides in Far Hills.
Also, given the legacy of Nebraska walk-ons, I'm guessing the Cornhuskers, like our friends at TTFP, provide very attractive financial packages in lieu of legitimate athletic scholarships. I'd bet serious money that if the NCAA checked the financial arrangements of walk-ons at TTFP during the latest mess where their scholarships were limited, I'd bet the cost of attending approached zero dollars.

This post was edited on 3/13 11:56 AM by Mr_Twister

Kyle Alston - Penn State cornerback from Robbinsville - Walk on route is a good way for standouts from small programs to get a shot. He looked like a good athlete, but I imagine its hard to put together impressive film from that level.

Last year Penn State had 3 New Jersery walk ons.

K Chris Gulla from Toms River North
CB Jesse Merise from Hillside
LB Evan Steinfield from Milburn

Originally posted by BigLou:
Nebraska had a legendary walk on program in the past, not sure if it is the same now. Maybe Husker can comment.
they would have a huge number of walk ons and it was not surprising to see some become starts during their career..
I was part of a small group who got a tour of the Nebraska stadium and facilities when we were out there in October. I took this picture of the wall of Walk On Accomplishments. Pretty damn impressive.. .

IMG_83386544320863_zpsgjzqlsud.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT