ADVERTISEMENT

NJ college ooc event? Is it possible?

RU fanatic

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
I wonder if it is possible to do a early season event with all of the d1 programs in the state. I know Connecticut does it with their schools. Wonder if it could be possible to start one of those if we could get all teams on board. We have an even amount of programs I believe.

RUTGERS
shu
St Peters
Rider
Monmouth
njit
Fdu
Princeton

Reactions: MADHAT1
I wonder if it is possible to do a early season event with all of the d1 programs in the state. I know Connecticut does it with their schools. Wonder if it could be possible to start one of those if we could get all teams on board. We have an even amount of programs I believe.

RUTGERS
shu
St Peters
Rider
Monmouth
njit
Fdu
Princeton

Great idea. Sadly both of the big boys run scared of Princeton.

Great idea. Sadly both of the big boys run scared of Princeton.
I believe you're right and ends ( before it begins) what would make a good pre-season tourney for all the NJ schools.

It would be nice for an 8 team tournament like this but where would it be played? Also we are already scheduling SHU every year it could wind up twice which might be a problem. It would guarantee 3 early season games with NJ schools. I do think we will be playing Princeton again within a few years but SHU wouldn't want any part of that. They have always avoided Princeton. We always played them until we became so bad these last few years. I believe Pikiell stated he would be willing to play them when he has a roster of his guys. This coming season we already have SHU, FDU & NJIT. We have played all 7 of the teams quite often.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Nobody is running scared from Princeton, or anyone else on that list.

The RAC has plenty of open dates all Nov and December. No reason to play Ivy or MAAC teams home and home or even at a neutral site. SHU is the obvious and only exception.

Reactions: RUAEPI
Not a home and home just maybe a one or two day event where it brings basketball fans out. Where the games rotate every year all at neutral site

If you didn't want to run the risk of playing Seton Hall twice, have two mini-tournaments, one at RU and one at Seton Hall, and pair up the other six teams so they are not all with the same opponents every year.

A heck of a lot better than the 70s-era Jersey "Classic"

If you didn't want to run the risk of playing Seton Hall twice, have two mini-tournaments, one at RU and one at Seton Hall, and pair up the other six teams so they are not all with the same opponents every year.

A heck of a lot better than the 70s-era Jersey "Classic"
Or make the year we play shu as the annual game on a neutral floor that will happen once every 4yrs for example

The RAC has plenty of open dates all Nov and December. No reason to play Ivy or MAAC teams home and home or even at a neutral site. SHU is the obvious and only exception.
Agree. No need for a tournament type set up.

I would like to play every NJ school every year. All at home except for SHU and Princeton. I'm cool with a home and home with those two.

And I wouldn't mind opening up with RU-N or RU-C as a scrimmage or first game.

Agree. No need for a tournament type set up.

I would like to play every NJ school every year. All at home except for SHU and Princeton. I'm cool with a home and home with those two.

And I wouldn't mind opening up with RU-N or RU-C as a scrimmage or first game.
Tourney type set-up at the RAC might be nice. SHU would probably want the Rock involved, but playing every Jersey school at home (except SHU & Princeton) wouldn't be anything to complain about .

Tourney type set-up at the RAC might be nice. SHU would probably want the Rock involved, but playing every Jersey school at home (except SHU & Princeton) wouldn't be anything to complain about .
I meant just schedule them like any other OOC game to begin the season.

But all here except SHU and Princeton since IMO they do deserve the home
and home treatment.

And did I go to the Monmouth game at Monmouth? Yes. Would I go again? Yes. Do I think we should play there ever again or in the first place? No.

It is simple. You have two 4 team pods. Each team has 3 games within the pod and a 4th game outside it.

Pod 1
Rutgers 3 Home games 0 Away
Monmouth 1H 2A
Rider 1H 2A
FDU 1H 2A

Pod 2
SHU 3H 0A
St. petes 1H 2A
NJIT 1H 2A
Princeton 1H 2A

Crossover games 1 vs 1 (champ) 2 vs 2, etc. occurs on 1 day at Prudential Center as a quadruple header.

Event is done every other year so teams can plan on it.

It is simple. You have two 4 team pods. Each team has 3 games within the pod and a 4th game outside it.

Pod 1
Rutgers 3 Home games 0 Away
Monmouth 1H 2A
Rider 1H 2A
FDU 1H 2A

Pod 2
SHU 3H 0A
St. petes 1H 2A
NJIT 1H 2A
Princeton 1H 2A

Crossover games 1 vs 1 (champ) 2 vs 2, etc. occurs on 1 day at Prudential Center as a quadruple header.

Event is done every other year so teams can plan on it.
Why would PU agree to that?

Schedule any and every NJ team...at the RAC. Nothing to gain by playing those level programs on the road, including Princeton.

Reactions: gregkoko
Schedule any and every NJ team...at the RAC. Nothing to gain by playing those level programs on the road, including Princeton.
As Brian mentioned earlier, there are plenty of dates in November and December to do this.

All home games.

Why would PU agree to that?

Look at Princeton's home OOC schedule in any given year.
last year (4)...
Rowan, St. Joes, Hampton and cal Poly
year before (5)...
St. petes, lafayette, FDU, Liberty, Bucknell

Chance to be the best team in NJ (in a tournament).

Look at Princeton's home OOC schedule in any given year.
last year (4)...
Rowan, St. Joes, Hampton and cal Poly
year before (5)...
St. petes, lafayette, FDU, Liberty, Bucknell

Chance to be the best team in NJ (in a tournament).
Agree that PU would have a shot at being best team in NJ many years, but why would they let RU/SHU have 3 Home to their 1

Agree that PU would have a shot at being best team in NJ many years, but why would they let RU/SHU have 3 Home to their 1

I think my point has been made. Look out their OOC. They arent getting majors to play on their home court. If they would play a major it doesn't necessarily net much additional revenue.

In my idea there is a 8 way equal revenue share on gate for the day 4 quadruple header it could be a win for everyone.

I think my point has been made. Look out their OOC. They arent getting majors to play on their home court. If they would play a major it doesn't necessarily net much additional revenue.

In my idea there is a 8 way equal revenue share on gate for the day 4 quadruple header it could be a win for everyone.
Point is well made and understood. Do you really think they care though? Their only shot at NCAA is to win Ivy, so strength of schedule isn't really that important to them. As for revenue, they don't need money.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see an all-NJ tourney, but I think Princeton would balk at 3 away games

Point is well made and understood. Do you really think they care though? Their only shot at NCAA is to win Ivy, so strength of schedule isn't really that important to them. As for revenue, they don't need money.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see an all-NJ tourney, but I think Princeton would balk at 3 away games

2 away games, 1 home game and 1 neutral. All games are 1 hour from campus which is very important.

I am going to disagree about the only way to NCAA is Ivy. They now have a conference tourney. there are years where Ivy isn't terrible. They have been middle of the pack 16th ish vs other conferences. I'd wager in the next 10 years they will at least once be a multi bid conference.

Last edited:

"With all due respect" we are absolutely running scared from Princeton. Crazy to think Princeton would only play us with a home and home. Every year they basically don't play a home game until Ivy play and bend over backwards to schedule teams from legitimate conferences. What is more convenient for team and fans than a technical "road" game 15 miles from New Brunswick every year than a game at Jadwin? It's embarrassing that we don't play them. Jordan and Pikiell have admitted that we've been ducking them.

"With all due respect" we are absolutely running scared from Princeton. Crazy to think Princeton would only play us with a home and home. Every year they basically don't play a home game until Ivy play and bend over backwards to schedule teams from legitimate conferences. What is more convenient for team and fans than a technical "road" game 15 miles from New Brunswick every year than a game at Jadwin? It's embarrassing that we don't play them. Jordan and Pikiell have admitted that we've been ducking them.
Let me make sure I understand you here...

Are you saying we should give up a HOME game and play Princeton at Jadwin just because?

I am totally onboard with playing the Tigers but only a home and home or just at the RAC. We are done barnstorming.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT