ADVERTISEMENT

NJ.com all State Lacrosse teams

Youngest nephew just finished his junior year in high school. Yup, he said it was a joke. Also, grades are being inflated and many colleges have waived the SAT scores which means many kids will end up in colleges they don’t belong in, Will flunk out, and waste tens of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Youngest nephew just finished his junior year in high school. Yup, he said it was a joke. Also, grades are being inflated and many colleges have waived the SAT scores which means many kids will end up in colleges they don’t belong in, Will flunk out, and waste tens of thousands of dollars.
Yep. Schooling has been an absolute farce during Covid the last year and a half and will leave kids woefully unprepared for college life.

Yep. Schooling has been an absolute farce during Covid the last year and a half and will leave kids woefully unprepared for college life.
I am not sure that I agree with this statement as I feel that the style of teaching was far more like college than a normal school year. After talking to my son his course load and the amount of work that he had to do outside of class was much like that amount of work my college aged daughter had with the exception of the reading, where she had more. I am more worried about kids that are freshman or Juniors but especially the juniors who have spent much of their freshman and Sophomore years in some sort of modified learning scenario.
I know for me as a teacher it forced me to reevaluate what I should teach and the most effective ways to deliver those lessons.
You think it was bad last year wait until they start requiring teachers to get the vaccine and see how many teachers leave the profession this year.

I am not sure that I agree with this statement as I feel that the style of teaching was far more like college than a normal school year. After talking to my son his course load and the amount of work that he had to do outside of class was much like that amount of work my college aged daughter had with the exception of the reading, where she had more. I am more worried about kids that are freshman or Juniors but especially the juniors who have spent much of their freshman and Sophomore years in some sort of modified learning scenario.
I know for me as a teacher it forced me to reevaluate what I should teach and the most effective ways to deliver those lessons.
You think it was bad last year wait until they start requiring teachers to get the vaccine and see how many teachers leave the profession this year.

1. Leaving the profession because the vaccine is required? That truly surprised me. And for the record I'm twice vaxed.

2. I'm very worried about kids yet younger, like in elementary school. Those skills are about as basic and important as you can get.

3. I'm disappointed there weren't some summer sessions, even half day, to try to begin the catch-up process. But as humid as this July has been with less than 100% AC in this state it also might have been a disaster.

Reactions: rufamily
1. Leaving the profession because the vaccine is required? That truly surprised me. And for the record I'm twice vaxed.

2. I'm very worried about kids yet younger, like in elementary school. Those skills are about as basic and important as you can get.

3. I'm disappointed there weren't some summer sessions, even half day, to try to begin the catch-up process. But as humid as this July has been with less than 100% AC in this state it also might have been a disaster.
Yea, I understand your surprise to #1 and I have been fully vaccinated but there are people in teaching who have yet to get it and some of them have talked about leaving rather than being forced to take it.
I am also very worried about the elementary schools.
As to your final point, I literally, went to my boss and offered to do a summer program to fill in the missing knowledge gaps and I was told that they were planning something but the actually did nothing. It was very frustrating.

I was told that they were planning something but the actually did nothing. It was very frustrating.

The cynic in me wonders where the federal aid that should gone to programs like what you proposed actually went.

I can’t imagine little kids or even high school kids playing lacrosse in Arizona. You would have to schedule practices and games for 10:00 at night when it gets down to a human level temperature.lol

Reactions: mdk01
I can’t imagine little kids or even high school kids playing lacrosse in Arizona. You would have to schedule practices and games for 10:00 at night when it gets down to a human level temperature.lol

It's a winter sport in Texas and presumably Arizona.

Will he even be able to play his senior year? I know it's not in NJ but I don't think you can be older than 19 to still play in high school in NJ.
Private schools outside of the NJSIAA have very different rules.

Reactions: njech
Yea, I understand your surprise to #1 and I have been fully vaccinated but there are people in teaching who have yet to get it and some of them have talked about leaving rather than being forced to take it.
I am also very worried about the elementary schools.
As to your final point, I literally, went to my boss and offered to do a summer program to fill in the missing knowledge gaps and I was told that they were planning something but the actually did nothing. It was very frustrating.
I couldn't imagine having young kids right now and trying to mange through all of this...the education challenges, at home learning, trying to manage jobs and kids that are young at home...can't even imagine...

Both my parents were educators....teachers and administrators. I have great respect for the profession. Lots of good teachers out there

Talent is everywhere now...not just in the traditional states. The rosters are starting to reflect as much

Agreed. It won't be long before there are no more traditional areas and emerging areas. As MD alluded to, the only thing missing when I first moved to Ca 20 some years ago was coaching. I think that's what set Maryland and I am sure NY apart when I was growing up. Everyone that coached me my entire life played D1 lacrosse. Many people I knew had Dad's who played, including mine. Uncles, cousins, you name it. It just permeates the sport there. Maryland isn't producing better athletes. It's producing kids with higher lacrosse IQ's.

The same can be said for NJ now, and areas out west. Many of these are kids who have been coached their whole lives by guys that played at high levels.

There are tons of athletes out here. Once the coaching is on par across the board, you will see national powerhouses emerge.

Agreed. It won't be long before there are no more traditional areas and emerging areas. As MD alluded to, the only thing missing when I first moved to Ca 20 some years ago was coaching. I think that's what set Maryland and I am sure NY apart when I was growing up. Everyone that coached me my entire life played D1 lacrosse. Many people I knew had Dad's who played, including mine. Uncles, cousins, you name it. It just permeates the sport there. Maryland isn't producing better athletes. It's producing kids with higher lacrosse IQ's.

The same can be said for NJ now, and areas out west. Many of these are kids who have been coached their whole lives by guys that played at high levels.

There are tons of athletes out here. Once the coaching is on par across the board, you will see national powerhouses emerge.
Honestly coaching is key...it's lacking here in Michigan...when some of these D1 and D3 kids return and start coaching in their spare time, it will be a force multiplier....athletes are everywhere...the Midwest is loaded with talent. The 22 and 23 Cherries Club teams are stacked and beating teams from everywhere...but that's just one team or two teams...we need more coaches at the high school level that have pedigree and can teach the game...same at the youth level...that's the only area we fall behind the traditional states...coaching

Honestly coaching is key...it's lacking here in Michigan...when some of these D1 and D3 kids return and start coaching in their spare time, it will be a force multiplier....athletes are everywhere...the Midwest is loaded with talent. The 22 and 23 Cherries Club teams are stacked and beating teams from everywhere...but that's just one team or two teams...we need more coaches at the high school level that have pedigree and can teach the game...same at the youth level...that's the only area we fall behind the traditional states...coaching

It strikes me that what's missing in Michigan are transplants and college programs. Being an old fart I was around to watch NJ, PA, CT explode and Massachusetts accelerate over the years. You'll enjoy this, but the first step was the plastic stick to keep the cost of the sport down. But the one thing they had in common was a lot of college programs in-state. All those areas were loaded with recent grads, by no means all Top 20 programs. Some were teachers. In Massachusetts you have a ton of D3 programs who had young assistant coaches who could get involved. And of course when they got a little older and became parents they would get more deeply involved. You need more programs than UM to get that critical mass.

I mentioned a couple of months ago my niece works in Seattle. She played in HS and got involved in a youth program. She said that virtually all of the coaches were East Coast transplants. That has happened in Cali as well.

It strikes me that what's missing in Michigan are transplants and college programs. Being an old fart I was around to watch NJ, PA, CT explode and Massachusetts accelerate over the years. You'll enjoy this, but the first step was the plastic stick to keep the cost of the sport down. But the one thing they had in common was a lot of college programs in-state. All those areas were loaded with recent grads, by no means all Top 20 programs. Some were teachers. In Massachusetts you have a ton of D3 programs who had young assistant coaches who could get involved. And of course when they got a little older and became parents they would get more deeply involved. You need more programs than UM to get that critical mass.

I mentioned a couple of months ago my niece works in Seattle. She played in HS and got involved in a youth program. She said that virtually all of the coaches were East Coast transplants. That has happened in Cali as well.
@mdk01 you are spot on...it's both...need people moving here and organic (college players returning to give back so to speak)

The cherries program here is run by three brothers from Long Island...all D1 players with the understanding of the game...and connections. So that proves out your comments. Make no doubt...without those guys, I don't have a kid playing at Rutgers and a kid at Loyola...for me to think otherwise would be foolish. Now my boys are decent players, but those guys helped them become better players AND they got them in front of the right eyes...which is very important

Also agree that we need more programs...we have a lot of D3 programs, but we need more

In the end it's a lot of things...but interest out east still blows away the interest here...it's not close from a casual fan perspective or a historical fan perspective...you go to a game at Michigan (I've been there) and it's parents, some friends, maybe 500-750 people max and it's passive...then I go to a Loyola v Hopkins game at Ridley and the noise is deafening and you have 6-7K people there...

After the Loyola v Rutgers game last year at Ridley, the next morning, Baltimore Sun...the Sports page has a large picture of my younger son on it and a full page article...not to mention coverage on multiple other local games both D1 and D3 in full. The have a Sunday morning lacrosse section...I was floored...you would NEVER see that coverage in the Detroit Free Press or News...never

Just lots of variables...but in the end, I still think an influx of skilled coaching starts the process...

@mdk01 you are spot on...it's both...need people moving here and organic (college players returning to give back so to speak)

The cherries program here is run by three brothers from Long Island...all D1 players with the understanding of the game...and connections. So that proves out your comments. Make no doubt...without those guys, I don't have a kid playing at Rutgers and a kid at Loyola...for me to think otherwise would be foolish. Now my boys are decent players, but those guys helped them become better players AND they got them in front of the right eyes...which is very important

Also agree that we need more programs...we have a lot of D3 programs, but we need more

In the end it's a lot of things...but interest out east still blows away the interest here...it's not close from a casual fan perspective or a historical fan perspective...you go to a game at Michigan (I've been there) and it's parents, some friends, maybe 500-750 people max and it's passive...then I go to a Loyola v Hopkins game at Ridley and the noise is deafening and you have 6-7K people there...

After the Loyola v Rutgers game last year at Ridley, the next morning, Baltimore Sun...the Sports page has a large picture of my younger son on it and a full page article...not to mention coverage on multiple other local games both D1 and D3 in full. The have a Sunday morning lacrosse section...I was floored...you would NEVER see that coverage in the Detroit Free Press or News...never

Just lots of variables...but in the end, I still think an influx of skilled coaching starts the process...

The Baltimore Sun has been doing that forever. Newsday as well. The Boston Globe has long had very good coverage, probably because of the plethora of D1 and D3 coverage. New Jersey media has been late to the party.

Funny what you said about the right eyes. The seminal event in the establishment of NJ lacrosse, in an era of very different and less sophisticated recruiting was a perfect example. The college north south games those days were preceded by a HS all star game. In 1970 it was supposed to be a Baltimore County All Star team vs. a team from LI. LI had to back out for bureaucratic reasons and the Peddie School coach was asked to put together a NJ team together on short notice. Expectations were low to put it mildly, but the Jersey boys shocked the world and won. Hopkins offered 2 and Maryland offered another 2 on the spot and they played at those respective schools. Zappa actually knows one of the Maryland guys. 2 juniors on the team ended up captains of UNC and Dartmouth and both played in he 1975 North South game.

New Jersey recruiting has never been the same.

Reactions: Golfer2019
ADVERTISEMENT