ADVERTISEMENT

NJ.com/ James Kratch: B10 Return Could Be Boost For Greg Schiano, Rutgers

Positive point of view

Not allowed

Must be scolded

Must write article about the Darkest day in Rutgers history: 16 Sep 2020 as penance.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Critical for this program to get on the field and start the needed repairs of what was destroyed over the past 4 or 5 years. We need to reestablish a culture on the field not just off and we need to know who we have and get them coached up by this staff. Can’t wait to get better!

weren't there posts here suggesting no season would be good? Something about not sinking deeper into teh abyss and having a second GS recruiting class unburdened by a disappointing season.

I think it hurts because there are no non-conf games. 2-7 won't be good

Reactions: RU at the shore
weren't there posts here suggesting no season would be good? Something about not sinking deeper into teh abyss and having a second GS recruiting class unburdened by a disappointing season.

I agree with this . The season on the field will be an abomination. Best case would be for us to play and not be a disaster . Not sure how realistic that is . Most realistic best case would have been to have the BIG season cancelled and we look towards 2021. But it wasn’t so we have to play . Let’s cross our fingers and hope here that’s it’s not as bad as expected .

Reactions: RU-AGK

You don't have to win games to show improvement and competency. No player expects us to compete for the Rose Bowl. Not playing at all ESPECIALLY when other leagues were already playing was not a good look for RU and benefits us in no way. In fact, if we pull out a game here and there and possibly show some of the special teams and defensive flash during the Schiano days and our OC actually gets the offense moving, it might be a net plus.

At some point you need to just jump in the pool. Not playing is a loser mentality and kids know that.

You don't have to win games to show improvement and competency. No player expects us to compete for the Rose Bowl. Not playing at all ESPECIALLY when other leagues were already playing was not a good look for RU and benefits us in no way. In fact, if we pull out a game here and there and possibly show some of the special teams and defensive flash during the Schiano days and our OC actually gets the offense moving, it might be a net plus.

At some point you need to just jump in the pool. Not playing is a loser mentality and kids know that.

Of course we have to play because everyone is playing. It just would have been better if no one played. It is what it is . Cross fingers and hope the team isn’t that bad.

Based on their Podcast, which I listened to on my way into work this AM, Schiano said

1. the team has not tackled or blocked since last November
2. he doesn't know who is actually on the team because 7 players (Wormley and 6 others) said they were opting out for the season. Schiano is trying to convince some of them to play with the new covid regs set in place.

However, any player from any B1G team that tests positive is out for 3 full weeks...21 days...so this is going to be a very interesting season.

Of course we have to play because everyone is playing. It just would have been better if no one played. It is what it is . Cross fingers and hope the team isn’t that bad.

Greg is a competitor and has a large ego. He wants to show he still has it and can turn this thing around quicker and better than last time. My guess is deep down inside he wants to get out there now and not putz around for a year. I used to share this same mentality that not playing might help us, but honestly I'm curious to see if part of our problem was as much incompetence as lack of talent. This coaching staff is far superior and the talent pool has already been improved significantly so I'm of the opinion I want to see what Greg can do.

Of course, it's all argumentative and as you said the decision has already been made so we will never know anyway.

GS knows what he is doing and he has an excellent staff.
Make no mistake, RU will get beat up on the field but a lot of underclassmen will play. Kids will get a year of development; particularly freshman.

Moreover, RU will likely get a “pass” on this season, so long as they can manage one win.

Play, develop players who have the personal desire to improve themselves and identify the ones who don’t.

Reactions: RURM85
The only way to get better is to play and get reps for younger players. Nobody loses eligibility thus a great year to play freshmen and sophomores.
As for recruiting, I’m sure these kids know what to expect. Nobody is expecting miracles and I’d be surprised if GS’s communications with recruits isn’t crystal clear.

I agree with this . The season on the field will be an abomination. Best case would be for us to play and not be a disaster . Not sure how realistic that is . Most realistic best case would have been to have the BIG season cancelled and we look towards 2021. But it wasn’t so we have to play . Let’s cross our fingers and hope here that’s it’s not as bad as expected .

Best case is we play this season and not be a disaster? Hope that it is not as bad as expected? This is heresy for anyone who supports Greg and the program imo.

We lace them up the same way the competition does.

Best case is we play this season and not be a disaster? Hope that it is not as bad as expected? This is heresy for anyone who supports Greg and the program imo.

It has not exactly been the same way. Hopefully that changes

There will be only eight games for Rutgers. The ninth game for the Big 10 is the title game.

Last edited:
I don’t know why some people think we will be lucky to win one game. After Camp took over you could already see we looked more like an actual team. Almost 50 of the 105 players were not in Piscataway last November. Almost every coach is new, including s&c.

If we somehow managed 2 wins it would be a huge success ...maybe not by some but how many B1G wins have we had the past 4 years... look for us improving the on field competitiveness... two years from now I think we can make it to a bowl game based upon a full schedule whatever that is ...

Mik, what happened to the ninth game? Yesterday, media was saying everyone would play a ninth game based on crossover standings.

Better than 1-11 look under Ash.

Mik, what happened to the ninth game? Yesterday, media was saying everyone would play a ninth game based on crossover standings.
Well, what I heard yesterday morning that everyone will play 8 games and the ninth game would be the title game scheduled for 12/21. I guess we would not know until the schedule would come out.

Can't Improve the on field product unless you test it under real world conditions. Practice is great for developing the basic skills but these kids need to be tested under real world conditions to see where the weaknesses are. I do not understand those people who say we should not play. Bollocks! Lets get these kids on the field to develop. Yes, it is going to be ugly this year but the difference between last year and this year that I see everyone on this board showing is we have HOPE for the future! Go RU!

Reactions: Knightmoves
Might as well play these 8, 9 games now and get it over with to see what Schiano and staff have to do to improve for 2021. And who knows, maybe Schiano and staff can win an extra game or two that Ash and staff couldnt.

Now RU will be lacing them up the same way, but before it looked like a team that didn't know how to lace them up and players were recruited without laces. 😁
Season might not be as bad as expected, Greg had a habit of getting more with less, if enough of the team bought into his program.

Not true.
All B1G teams get a 9th game. {crossover}
The final games are : East #1 vs. West #1 {Championship}, East #2 vs. West #2 , East #3 vs. West #3, and so on.
You are correct. The initial report I read was somewhat fuzzy. It did not spell out that every team will play one more game. Therefore, I only recalled the 8-game regular schedule and expexted that the extra game will be played only for the championship as in the past. I love this arrangement and hope that the Big10 will keep it in the future. More opportunity to pracice for Bowl Games or just practice is always good for every team

Think back to the Penn State game last year. Nunzio had them playing their hearts out and they were competitive. Schiano has been down this road before and he did it here starting with much less talent than he had last time. I don't expect to beat OSU, PSU and TTUN, but I really believe they will surprise everyone with how much better they will play.

You are correct. The initial report I read was somewhat fuzzy. It did not spell out that every team will play one more game. Therefore, I only recalled the 8-game regular schedule and expexted that the extra game will be played only for the championship as in the past. I love this arrangement and hope that the Big10 will keep it in the future. More opportunity to pracice for Bowl Games or just practice is always good for every team
Will never happen because of $$$ but this should be everyone's 12th or 13th game: Championship Game for division winners and consolation games for the others (2nd v 2nd through 7th vs 7th).

Those posts were filed in the “loser mentality” folder. this team will show improvement, use that to build upon, let’s play some games.

No. You only play on championship Saturday if you’re a champion . 12 regular season games is enough.

Will never happen because of $$$ but this should be everyone's 12th or 13th game: Championship Game for division winners and consolation games for the others (2nd v 2nd through 7th vs 7th).
100% agreed. I love the idea of a conso game at the end of the season as a last chance to qualify for a bowl or improve a team's bowl resume.

Reactions: koleszar
You should never be afraid to compete. Ever. If you don’t relish every opportunity to compete you should find some other way to spend your time.

Reactions: wheezer
It might be a way for a team to play its way out of a bowl too

The 9th game is a “Bowl Game” for many teams.
Who knows if there will be Bowl games in late December or January { economics of no fans/ no tourists $$$, etc.). The B1G 9th game will be on December 19th. Basically a Bowl game.

It would never happen as neutral venue games because of the $$$, but I wonder if they’d consider making it the last game of the season rotating each year between whether the East or West teams are hosting.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
ADVERTISEMENT