ADVERTISEMENT

NJ Group Finals Tomorrow

rufamily

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003
Tomorrow NJ will crown the 6 group champions as it prepares for the last TOC in Lacrosse: if you are around these schools you may want to pop by to watch some of the best lacrosse teams in NJ play. It is nice to see more southern representation in this years field as 5 of the 6 are True southern teams with 3 of them having a legit shot at winning their group as well as several first-timers in the field (Haddonfield, Scotch Plains, St Auggies)

AT BRIDGEWATER-RARITAN

GROUP 1
Mountain Lakes (18-1) vs. Haddonfield (14-3), 5 p.m.
GROUP 2
Summit (16-2) vs. Rumson-Fair Haven (20-4), 7:30 p.m.

AT HOPEWELL VALLEY

NON-PUBLIC A
Delbarton (15-5) vs. St. Augustine (15-1), 4 p.m.
GROUP 3
Scotch Plains-Fanwood (18-3) vs. Shawnee (16-4), 6 p.m.

AT SHORE

GROUP 4
Bridgewater-Raritan (16-3) vs. Southern (16-3), 4 p.m.
NON-PUBLIC B
Montclair Kimberley (5-13) vs. Rutgers Prep (11-6), 6 p.m.

Cool to see a few South Jersey schools in there (Haddonfield, Shawnee, St. Augie's). That means lax talent is finally emerging south of Trenton. When we build our new lax only stadium we have to move all the Champ Games to RU.

Obviously, Rutgers would be great but, Kean was also good with the video scoreboard. The last time they played at Rutgers it was packed and the game was great. Would love to see it there again. I think that both Shawnee and St. Augie's have a chance to win. Haddonfield beating Lakes would be a pretty big upset.

Obviously, Rutgers would be great but, Kean was also good with the video scoreboard. The last time they played at Rutgers it was packed and the game was great. Would love to see it there again. I think that both Shawnee and St. Augie's have a chance to win. Haddonfield beating Lakes would be a pretty big upset.
RU needs to be THE school as far as NJ HS Champ Games go once the infrastructure is in place. The new lax stadium most definitely will have a video scoreboard as well.

Too bad they couldn’t have at least some of the lax championship games at SHI, but the Rutgers football camps start tomorrow.

Mountain lakes and Bridgewater will cruise to the TOC imo with those matchups.

The Group 2 and Non-Public A games will be phenomenal setting up an awesome semifinals between those 4 schools.

Could very easily be the 4 most historically dominant schools in state history in the last ever TOC semi - Summit, Mountain Lakes, Bridgewater, and Delbarton.

How poetic would that be, though like I said St. Augustine and Rumson won’t go down without a fight. I actually think Rumson upsets Summit (may not even be an upset technically).

So Mountain Lakes, Delby, Bridgewater, Rumson, Scotch Plains and Rutgers Prep are my 6. Sorry to Scotch Plains and Rutgers Prep but there’s levels to this - they’ll get dispatched in the quarters easily.

Then I think Mountain Lakes will squeeze by Rumson and Delby will beat Bridgewater, and I think Mountain Lakes will win it all for Group 1 in a classic.

Bridgewater grad here so no bias in my picks.

Cool to see a few South Jersey schools in there (Haddonfield, Shawnee, St. Augie's). That means lax talent is finally emerging south of Trenton. When we build our new lax only stadium we have to move all the Champ Games to RU.
process of elimination that with half of the games featuring a team from the "South" and old bridge is considered south that a few teams south of Trenton will eventually make the group finals.. more private schools up north are impacting the public schools to a bit, with school enrollment going down.

Mountain lakes and Bridgewater will cruise to the TOC imo with those matchups.

The Group 2 and Non-Public A games will be phenomenal setting up an awesome semifinals between those 4 schools.

Could very easily be the 4 most historically dominant schools in state history in the last ever TOC semi - Summit, Mountain Lakes, Bridgewater, and Delbarton.

How poetic would that be, though like I said St. Augustine and Rumson won’t go down without a fight. I actually think Rumson upsets Summit (may not even be an upset technically).

So Mountain Lakes, Delby, Bridgewater, Rumson, Scotch Plains and Rutgers Prep are my 6. Sorry to Scotch Plains and Rutgers Prep but there’s levels to this - they’ll get dispatched in the quarters easily.

Then I think Mountain Lakes will squeeze by Rumson and Delby will beat Bridgewater, and I think Mountain Lakes will win it all for Group 1 in a classic.

Bridgewater grad here so no bias in my picks.
I agree with everything that you said except the outcome of Rumson and Summit. Summit's zone is tough to crack and they play it starting in freshman year so by the time they get to the varsity it is pretty much ingrained in their brain. I think this game will be fantastic and Summit's defense and experience will win out.

Lakes win handily

Scotch Plains and Shawnee could also be tricky as Shawnee is tough and well-coached but if Scotch Plains can limit there mistakes they should win.

Rutgers Prep already beat MKA once this game is for the 6th seed in the TOC

Delbarton and St. Augies-- I would say that St. Augie's may actually have more talent on the team then Delby I have not seen this years version of either team but I saw St. Augie's last year and they were very good and very talented.

Bridgewater simply had a much more difficult road to get here, I feel like Southern would have lost to Montclair, Ridgewood or Central if then had played them. Southern while good just does not face the level of competition that Bridgewater has.

Reactions: gef21 and RU23
I agree with everything that you said except the outcome of Rumson and Summit. Summit's zone is tough to crack and they play it starting in freshman year so by the time they get to the varsity it is pretty much ingrained in their brain. I think this game will be fantastic and Summit's defense and experience will win out.

Lakes win handily

Scotch Plains and Shawnee could also be tricky as Shawnee is tough and well-coached but if Scotch Plains can limit there mistakes they should win.

Rutgers Prep already beat MKA once this game is for the 6th seed in the TOC

Delbarton and St. Augies-- I would say that St. Augie's may actually have more talent on the team then Delby I have not seen this years version of either team but I saw St. Augie's last year and they were very good and very talented.

Bridgewater simply had a much more difficult road to get here, I feel like Southern would have lost to Montclair, Ridgewood or Central if then had played them. Southern while good just does not face the level of competition that Bridgewater has.
Summit/Rumson will be a classic case of experience/tactics vs. talent imo. Summit has some talent of course but they’re very senior-laden with tons of guys who lost in the TOC final last year. Rumson has more young talent imo including Cashion (Yale commit) and Stankovits, two juniors with 50+ goals.

I already made notes for my two games tonight, but anybody have any tips for BR, Southern, Rutgers Prep, or MKA?!

I already made notes for my two games tonight, but anybody have any tips for BR, Southern, Rutgers Prep, or MKA?!
sure what do you want to know? I would look to see if Southern comes out in Zone vs. BR as they probably can not stay with BR midfield. Matt Macielok is very good and a nice compliment on the offense. Luke Cifuentes has come on of late the help solidify the defense. Key matchups are Goalie play Southerns kid has a better save percentage and is a commit to NJIT. BR kid has played better after struggling for a good part of the season. The other is the faceoff X, If BR can win faceoff's it will be hard for Southern to stay in the game.

Stuff like this?

sure what do you want to know? I would look to see if Southern comes out in Zone vs. BR as they probably can not stay with BR midfield. Matt Macielok is very good and a nice compliment on the offense. Luke Cifuentes has come on of late the help solidify the defense. Key matchups are Goalie play Southerns kid has a better save percentage and is a commit to NJIT. BR kid has played better after struggling for a good part of the season. The other is the faceoff X, If BR can win faceoff's it will be hard for Southern to stay in the game.

Stuff like this?

Perfect, thanks! I don't lacrosse (I cover tennis in the spring), so am being thrown in the fire haha

Fun fact for you, I believe that Shea Hille who plays for Soujtern is the son of former Rutgers Player Scott HIlle who was on the lacrosse team with Aaron Kurdyla, the dad of Brady and Colin from Bridgewater

Tomorrow NJ will crown the 6 group champions as it prepares for the last TOC in Lacrosse: if you are around these schools you may want to pop by to watch some of the best lacrosse teams in NJ play. It is nice to see more southern representation in this years field as 5 of the 6 are True southern teams with 3 of them having a legit shot at winning their group as well as several first-timers in the field (Haddonfield, Scotch Plains, St Auggies)

AT BRIDGEWATER-RARITAN

GROUP 1
Mountain Lakes (18-1) vs. Haddonfield (14-3), 5 p.m.
GROUP 2
Summit (16-2) vs. Rumson-Fair Haven (20-4), 7:30 p.m.

AT HOPEWELL VALLEY

NON-PUBLIC A
Delbarton (15-5) vs. St. Augustine (15-1), 4 p.m.
GROUP 3
Scotch Plains-Fanwood (18-3) vs. Shawnee (16-4), 6 p.m.

AT SHORE

GROUP 4
Bridgewater-Raritan (16-3) vs. Southern (16-3), 4 p.m.
NON-PUBLIC B
Montclair Kimberley (5-13) vs. Rutgers Prep (11-6), 6 p.m.
Do we know how many of the players on these teams are coming to Rutgers?

Perfect, thanks! I don't lacrosse (I cover tennis in the spring), so am being thrown in the fire haha
Pay close attention to the Kurdyla brothers (Brady and Colin), who are both Rutgers commits and are the primary options on offense for BRHS. Brady is a senior attackman, and Colin is a junior offensive middie. Both have about 60 goals.

Pay close attention to the Kurdyla brothers (Brady and Colin), who are both Rutgers commits and are the primary options on offense for BRHS. Brady is a senior attackman, and Colin is a junior offensive middie. Both have about 60 goals.
More Bridgewater guys…

newman-excellent.gif

Reactions: Degaz-RU
BRHS tied 4-4 in 3rd quarter at last check. I have a friend whose son plays on the team.

Closer than you would’ve thunk. Congrats to Southern on a great season

St Augustine beat Delby 6-5 - wow….

Mountain Lakes won but closer than you’d think, 8-2

Fun fact, This year the TOC will have a South Jersey team as the number 1 seed for the first time. St. Augie's has the talent to win the whole thing and it looks like the seeds 3-6 are set.
If Rumson wins they are the 1 seed and St. Augies is 2. If Summit wins ST. Augies as 1 Summit as 2
3-6 are Lakes, BR, SPF, and Rutgers Prep.

Least- Surprising results were St. Augies and Rutgers Prep

More- surprising was Haddonfield and Southern keeping it close with Lakes and BR

Most- Surprising was how easily SPF handled Shawnee.

Reactions: jayman and RU23
Fun fact, This year the TOC will have a South Jersey team as the number 1 seed for the first time. St. Augie's has the talent to win the whole thing and it looks like the seeds 3-6 are set.
If Rumson wins they are the 1 seed and St. Augies is 2. If Summit wins ST. Augies as 1 Summit as 2
3-6 are Lakes, BR, SPF, and Rutgers Prep.

Least- Surprising results were St. Augies and Rutgers Prep

More- surprising was Haddonfield and Southern keeping it close with Lakes and BR

Most- Surprising was how easily SPF handled Shawnee.

Rumson wins 9-5

Reactions: jreinsdorf and RU23
Rumson wins 9-5
Good for them, they played a gauntlet of a schedule and it’s paying off in June. South Jersey with both of the top 2 seeds is awesome, but it’s sad they’re doing away with the TOC just as we’re starting to see parity across the state.

Bridgewater-SPF should be a solid QF, and Mountain Lakes-St. Augustine will be a heckuva semi (I fear Rumson is just too good for my Panthers this year, but I’m sure Apel will have the boys ready to play).

As expected, Mountain Lakes demolished Rutgers Prep 14-4 (they were up 13-0).

A little less expected, Bridgewater is demolishing Scotch Plains (12-4 now but it was 11-1 just a few minutes ago).

Rumson-BR and St Augies-ML on Wednesday, will be some fun semis - north vs. south with the south favored for once

Reactions: jreinsdorf
BR played without Colin Kurdyla, sounds like he got hurt vs. Southern.

Hope he’s back for Rumson, they will need him…

May have to take my son over to Rumson Wednesday for that clash. Grab a burger at Barnacle Bills

ADVERTISEMENT