ADVERTISEMENT

NJ North (i.e., BC) haul from NJ

Love to watch Pat Hobbs while he scrolls through that story.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Pat Hobbs couldn’t care less that he has a head coach that is, for the most part, signing scraps. I’m sure that he’ll give Chris a trophy for “recruiting hard”.

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Pat Hobbs couldn’t care less that he has a head coach that is, for the most part, signing scraps. I’m sure that he’ll give Chris a trophy for “recruiting hard”.
I think Hobbs does care. I just don't think he had enough experience in hiring for football (tougher rebuild) than he did for Basketball. I don't think at that time he understood the impact recruiting would be on making or breaking a coach within a 5 year window. I presume by middle of next season he will start making a list of potential new coaches and on that one of his major criteria will be recruiting chops. Seems like that was some of what he looked at in hiring the new Soccer coach.

I think Hobbs does care. I just don't think he had enough experience in hiring for football (tougher rebuild) than he did for Basketball. I don't think at that time he understood the impact recruiting would be on making or breaking a coach within a 5 year window. I presume by middle of next season he will start making a list of potential new coaches and on that one of his major criteria will be recruiting chops. Seems like that was some of what he looked at in hiring the new Soccer coach.
I think he doesn’t care because Ash could sign a class filled with 5-7, 300-pounders who run 8.4 for the 40 and it wouldn’t make a difference. Hobbs doesn’t have the cash to fire him for a couple years and that’s the way it is. Powerless to do anything about how bad the roster might be in two more years. He’s spending his spare time praying the Ash can somehow win 4 games next year so he can give him another vote of confidence after the substantial W-L improvement.

All I see is a bunch of overrated kids. Look at the 2016 class of N.J. That might have been the best crop of talent ever in state. Go look at what happened to those can’t miss New Jersey kids since their recruitment. I say F New Jersey and recruit Florida. Their 122 ranked kid would be top 5 in NJ. Isiaha Washington is better than Terry, King, and Maryln Johnson by far. Rutgers golden days where won on the back of underrated NJ, NY and Florida kids. NJ’s best always flamed out somewhere else.

Last edited:
This is why folks are frustrated with Chris Ash. Nothing short of coaching change may move this needle, but we may be about 2 years away from that absent a strong turnaround miracle next season. Nunzio Campanile does not seem to have the sway his brother carries.
https://www.nj.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/24e1ec44499816/national-signing-day-2019-whic.html
What will move the needle is hitting on the good players that located at schools that don't have a love affair with BC. The North Jersey Parochial Schools are going to push their players to BC over Rutgers because most of the parents look down on the school. Success over time will lead to a change.

he signed a pretty solid class today

Reactions: 80yrdPacheco
Can't sugar coat that list - most depressing attempt to recruit New Jersey since the Terry Shea years.
A lot of the players on this list where 0 or 2 stars, so are we crucify Ash for not signing them.

this is BC best class since 2003 ranking and overall.

he signed a pretty solid class today
I believe that we are all pleased with how the class turned out. Got to like the JuCo OL and signing Young, a Plan A RB. It looks like there are a few kids who have a chance to help out next season.

But let's not get carried away about this being a good or solid class because of how low our expectations were. Ash's third full recruiting class and it's likely to be in the bottom 2 or 3 in the B1G ... again. That's not shrinking the talent gap, especially on the DL and OL. Hopefully, a few saved spots will be used for grad transfer linemen with B1G strength and size.

Reactions: zazoo2002
yup--catholic school boys dream of ND then the step down to BC

I would actually choose BC over ND just so I wouldnt have to live in South Bend for 4 years. I have never had a bad time in Boston and I have never met a hot girl from ND. I also need to get back to NJ often.

Would you prefer he said “Chris isn’t going to be recruiting hard this year, btw.”

...This crap is so outplayed. If you are so sure that Hobbs doesn’t care about the football program then go root for somebody else. What a ridiculous bunch of comments AND I literally protested this whole season after we lost to Kansas the way we did so don’t be mistaken as to where I’m coming from right now. First year in my entire life - or since I was an infant - I didn’t make at least one home football game, if not all of them, because I was disgusted with what I saw and wanted Ash fired immediately after the Buffalo loss, let alone at the end of the season, so trust me I get it but wtf???

“Signing scraps” - what a douchey thing to say WOW!!

You’re better than this buddy.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sometimes Taking all you states best kids is not the way to go....... Look at what happened to Texas under Mack Brown. They would just get every 4 and 5 star Texas kid they wanted, have recruiting wrapped up by October, then continually got worse because they werent going after the right guys just the best guys on paper.

I would actually choose BC over ND just so I wouldnt have to live in South Bend for 4 years. I have never had a bad time in Boston and I have never met a hot girl from ND. I also need to get back to NJ often.

What ND guys can do is catch the train to Chicago (not that long a trip). There are plenty of "hot girls" there, I assure you -- plenty more than in Boston, if my experience is indicative.

Would you prefer he said “Chris isn’t going to be recruiting hard this year, btw.”

...This crap is so outplayed. If you are so sure that Hobbs doesn’t care about the football program then go root for somebody else. What a ridiculous bunch of comments AND I literally protested this whole season after we lost to Kansas the way we did so don’t be mistaken as to where I’m coming from right now. First year in my entire life - or since I was an infant - I didn’t make at least one home football game, if not all of them, because I was disgusted with what I saw and wanted Ash fired immediately after the Buffalo loss, let alone at the end of the season, so trust me I get it but wtf???

“Signing scraps” - what a douchey thing to say WOW!!

You’re better than this buddy.
Nuts - Look, the staff did a nice job to flip kids from WMich, Minny, and USF ... did not lose anyone important in the last week ... and gets an A+ for effort in getting Young to decommitt from Michigan State. Yes, they did much better than was projected a few weeks ago. So, yes, scraps was harsh. God knows, I guess I shouldn’t expect a 4th year coach to recruit worse than everyone in his league except Lovie Smith and a new hire at Maryland. Other than Young, did any RU signee have an offer from OSU, PSU, UMich or MSU? So, instead of scraps I should have said PWOs, because for at least 4 of the other teams in the B1G East, almost all of the RU kids would be Preferred Walk Ons, if that.

Now, how impressed or depressed would you have been if someone told you 4 years ago that Rutgers’ class going into Ash’s Year 4 would be at the bottom of the league, without a single 4-star and that its highest rated, signed NJ kid would be #20 in the state? Don’t let the brutally low standards for any type of competence established by Ash cloud your memory about were the reasonable expectations.

I’ve said all along that it’s all about 2020. Football is beyond Hobbs’ control for 2019 and 2020. His focus, rightfully, should on those things he can control or shape - infrastructure projects, RFund and turning over the coaches in non-rev sports. Until Ash’s buyout hits an acceptable pricepoint ... or he has a winning season in ‘19 or ‘20, there’s really nothing Hobbs can do about football except publicly support the staff, hope for the best and manage the budget to minimize the net revenue losses.

Give me a break buddy . You’re pointing towards Willard? The guy had to bend the rules and hire tiny Morton to keep his job .
The guy basically cheated. You ok with that ?
And you point to this as a success for Hobbs!

What ND guys can do is catch the train to Chicago (not that long a trip). There are plenty of "hot girls" there, I assure you -- plenty more than in Boston, if my experience is indicative.

Every time I have gone to an ND game, the visitors side has the female talent and ND guys admit it. The Georgia game last year was egregious.

90 minutes minimum by train is too long. You can be in Boston from BC in 15 minutes and have access to girls from BU, NE, Tufts, Simmons etc. etc. plus their visiting friends and tourist. I also find Chicago girls a bit too "big boned" for me.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Nuts - Look, the staff did a nice job to flip kids from WMich, Minny, and USF ... did not lose anyone important in the last week ... and gets an A+ for effort in getting Young to decommitt from Michigan State. Yes, they did much better than was projected a few weeks ago. So, yes, scraps was harsh. God knows, I guess I shouldn’t expect a 4th year coach to recruit worse than everyone in his league except Lovie Smith and a new hire at Maryland. Other than Young, did any RU signee have an offer from OSU, PSU, UMich or MSU? So, instead of scraps I should have said PWOs, because for at least 4 of the other teams in the B1G East, almost all of the RU kids would be Preferred Walk Ons, if that.

Now, how impressed or depressed would you have been if someone told you 4 years ago that Rutgers’ class going into Ash’s Year 4 would be at the bottom of the league, without a single 4-star and that its highest rated, signed NJ kid would be #20 in the state? Don’t let the brutally low standards for any type of competence established by Ash cloud your memory about were the reasonable expectations.

I’ve said all along that it’s all about 2020. Football is beyond Hobbs’ control for 2019 and 2020. His focus, rightfully, should on those things he can control or shape - infrastructure projects, RFund and turning over the coaches in non-rev sports. Until Ash’s buyout hits an acceptable pricepoint ... or he has a winning season in ‘19 or ‘20, there’s really nothing Hobbs can do about football except publicly support the staff, hope for the best and manage the budget to minimize the net revenue losses.

Now THIS is an excellent post and one I can get behind. I fully expected more after last season, especially with our schedule this year, and we didn’t get it. I was highly vocal about it from the second week of September on and will continue to be as such, however, I do feel that recruiting, especially considering this past season and where we were just a couple of weeks ago - while not been anywere close to where we needed to be - Didn’t deserve the comment that you made above. That’s all buddy!

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Every time I have gone to an ND game, the visitors side has the female talent and ND guys admit it. The Georgia game last year was egregious.

90 minutes minimum by train is too long. You can be in Boston from BC in 15 minutes and have access to girls from BU, NE, Tufts, Simmons etc. etc. plus their visiting friends and tourist. I also find Chicago girls a bit too "big boned" for me.
LIES. People in Boston are hideous. Unless you are saying the beautiful people don’t go to fenway because any glance at the stands reveals how fugly they are. Also visiting Boston it’s about the worst major city in the country from an attractiveness standpoint, unless you’re into blotchy palid skin and crooked teeth. That’s not even debatable.

Reactions: RUaMoose

Some men find Boston girls too small-boned -- there's no accounting for tastes.

LIES. People in Boston are hideous. Unless you are saying the beautiful people don’t go to fenway because any glance at the stands reveals how fugly they are. Also visiting Boston it’s about the worst major city in the country from an attractiveness standpoint, unless you’re into blotchy palid skin and crooked teeth. That’s not even debatable.

You must have been there when the colleges were on summer break. For ages 18-28 Boston is excellent.

Give me a break buddy . You’re pointing towards Willard? The guy had to bend the rules and hire tiny Morton to keep his job .
The guy basically cheated. You ok with that ?
And you point to this as a success for Hobbs!
Where is Seton Hall? They’re winning. Deal with it.

Where is Seton Hall? They’re winning. Deal with it.

I didn’t say they weren’t winning. I could care less if ash cheated and won, but many people on this board wouldn’t be ok with that.
All I am saying is that Willard wasn’t some pristine home run hire . It almost didn’t work out . Let’s hope ash just does what he has to do at this point and tries to win at all costs .

I am not a fan of how Ash has approached things here, but I have to admit that he did well with this class considering all the circumstances.

Sometimes Taking all you states best kids is not the way to go....... Look at what happened to Texas under Mack Brown. They would just get every 4 and 5 star Texas kid they wanted, have recruiting wrapped up by October, then continually got worse because they werent going after the right guys just the best guys on paper.
I think it was @cuffsbuffdoug that observed football talent in NJ has gone down in recent years. NJ kids are good on paper, but overall there are fewer cornerstones than a decade ago. That may be why many flamed out at Michigan and Penn State in recent years.

What will move the needle is hitting on the good players that located at schools that don't have a love affair with BC. The North Jersey Parochial Schools are going to push their players to BC over Rutgers because most of the parents look down on the school. Success over time will lead to a change.

This is flat out nonsense. Give the north jersey kids a tangible option and we’ll get our share. Devin and Jason McCourty, Sam Johnson, Mike Teel, Darius Hamilton, and others are examples of North Jersey Parochial kids that chose Rutgers. No one is choosing 1 win Rutgers over perceived better options.

All I see is a bunch of overrated kids. Look at the 2016 class of N.J. That might have been the best crop of talent ever in state. Go look at what happened to those can’t miss New Jersey kids since their recruitment. I say F New Jersey and recruit Florida. Their 122 ranked kid would be top 5 in NJ. Isiaha Washington is better than Terry, King, and Maryln Johnson by far. Rutgers golden days where won on the back of underrated NJ, NY and Florida kids. NJ’s best always flamed out somewhere else.
I think Penn State and Notre Dame have been helped bye NJ recruiting.

This is flat out nonsense. Give the north jersey kids a tangible option and we’ll get our share. Devin and Jason McCourty, Sam Johnson, Mike Teel, Darius Hamilton, and others are examples of North Jersey Parochial kids that chose Rutgers. No one is choosing 1 win Rutgers over perceived better options.

Exactly, in order to become a tangible option, you need to get the good players that aren't at the North Jersey powers. Because you may have a chance with those players right now. Then with success you will hopefully become a tangible option for the kids/parents of the North Jersey parochial schools.

Also the only player that you listed that was highly recruited/rated out of high school was Hamilton. They obviously all were underrated coming out.....but I don't think they had USC and Texas knocking on their door.

Hey, taking Jonathan Hilliman as a grad transfer will change the perception that the grass is greener elsewhere, particularly BC, and recruits will all get the message that its better to stay home and play at Rutgers. [roll]

Hah, you had to go back15 years? Geez, Sam Johnson was in the class of 2003. Go back and look at the other offers those kids (except Hamilton) had. And you also might want to look at the NJ top 30 for those years and see all of the North Jersey kids that went elsewhere. Sure, Rutgers gets kids like Tsimis, Maietti, Howson, Canevari. But kids with P5 offers? Maybe 1 or 2 a year, pre-Ash.

ADVERTISEMENT