ADVERTISEMENT

NJ/Rutgers wrestling took a step forward today

ruready07

All American
Apr 15, 2003
Today’s event did more to further our cause and NJ college wrestling than even the signings of Ashnault and Suriano did. This dual, especially with how Nick’s match went, lit a fire in the belly of the NJ wrestling community. For really the first time, it bothered the average nj wrestling fan to see us lose to someone, even a team as elite as OKst. It even bothered friends of mine who don’t really follow the sport at all -

Maybe it was the whole weekend of wrestling, including the win over Wisconsin.... I don’t know for sure, but something definitely happened and it was a positive for RU/NJ wrestling.

Perfect timing for the new training facility to be going up !

What was so positive, getting shellacked by OSU?

Was it the slow dancing in the Fix/Suriano match that is now being touted as a break through cure for insomnia?

Or was it the incompetent refs that took center stage and destroyed the anticipated marquee matchup?

This was a blackeye on college wrestling in general and sickening to watch. Yea, terrible way for NS to lose a match but thats what it comes down to when neither wrestler takes a shot

What was so positive, getting shellacked by OSU?

Was it the slow dancing in the Fix/Suriano match that is now being touted as a break through cure for insomnia?

Or was it the incompetent refs that took center stage and destroyed the anticipated marquee matchup?

This was a blackeye on college wrestling in general and sickening to watch. Yea, terrible way for NS to lose a match but thats what it comes down to when neither wrestler takes a shot

What was so positive is that everyone is talking about it and cares. The wrestling community cares about our guys, nick’s call, the lack of offense, losing the dual.... all of it

What was so positive is that everyone is talking about it and cares. The wrestling community cares about our guys, nick’s call, the lack of offense, losing the dual.... all of it
My personal opinion and most everything Ive read points to disgust about the whole thing.

The lack of offense is good for wrestling?
Losing the dual? It wasnt even a contest

Perhaps if changes come to help remedy 2 goofball refs, that would be a positive

Perhaps if NS starts pulling the trigger offensively against top competition down the road, that would also be a positive because I think it would make him unbeatable

But as it stands today, nobody outside of RU is mad, they are more disgusted & turned off by yesterdays match

Reactions: Goathead88
My personal opinion and most everything Ive read points to disgust about the whole thing.

The lack of offense is good for wrestling?
Losing the dual? It wasnt even a contest

Perhaps if changes come to help remedy 2 goofball refs, that would be a positive

Perhaps if NS starts pulling the trigger offensively against top competition down the road, that would also be a positive because I think it would make him unbeatable

But as it stands today, nobody outside of RU is mad, they are more disgusted & turned off by yesterdays match

Hey, I’m not sure what you’re missing here and why you’re so set on winning a debate I’m not making - but this weekend was good because more people than ever are talking about wrestling around here. People are pissed off about dropping matches to a program we used to look at as untouchable. It used to be ok to see our guys lose, now it doesn’t sit so well with the fan base.

And you say that nobody outside of the RU people are mad about the results .... I won’t argue you there, but it’s really only RU/NJ people I’m worried about anyway. We’re at the point in our program where we’re still trying to solidify our support base and that’s where the focus should be. So to all you RU-NJ people, be mad folks . Let’s keep improving

Hey, I’m not sure what you’re missing here and why you’re so set on winning a debate I’m not making - but this weekend was good because more people than ever are talking about wrestling around here. People are pissed off about dropping matches to a program we used to look at as untouchable. It used to be ok to see our guys lose, now it doesn’t sit so well with the fan base.

And you say that nobody outside of the RU people are mad about the results .... I won’t argue you there, but it’s really only RU/NJ people I’m worried about anyway. We’re at the point in our program where we’re still trying to solidify our support base and that’s where the focus should be. So to all you RU-NJ people, be mad folks . Let’s keep improving
Unless you believe the "wrestling community" only extends to RU & NJ, how can you reconcile these 2 statements:

"The wrestling community cares about our guys, nick’s call, the lack of offense, losing the dual.... all of it"

"And you say that nobody outside of the RU people are mad about the results .... I won’t argue you there, but it’s really only RU/NJ people I’m worried about anyway. "

The point is 6 years ago 200 people mostly family and friends were in a little gym watching Rutgers wrestle and yesterday 8,000 people watched Rutgers wrestle.6 years ago Rutgers wrestling barely got 1 article now they're getting many and now today people at "work" are talking about it.So it was big for Rutgers wrestling regardless of the score.All hate aside as a wrestling fan if you can't appreciate that then your not much of a fan

The point is 6 years ago 200 people mostly family and friends were in a little gym watching Rutgers wrestle and yesterday 8,000 people watched Rutgers wrestle.6 years ago Rutgers wrestling barely got 1 article now they're getting many and now today people at work are talking about it.So it was big for Rutgers wrestling regardless of the score.All hate aside as a wrestling fan if you can't appreciate that then your not much of a fan
Using that rationale, people are also talking about the shooting at the Utah mall... is that good for malls everywhere?

Fix/Suriano at WNO was great for wrestling... still very low scoring but lots of action & scrambling. People still talking about it and it helps wrestling in general.. The krap yesterday was an embarrassment, no matter who's talking about it today at the water cooler

BTW, Ive wrestled, coached and been a fan of wrestling for probably longer than youve been on planet earth, so dont give me this nonsense about not being much of a fan

7,500 attendance will probably be in the top 5 of all dual meets this season.

This kind of attendance is why RU was selected for the Final X event picking the National teams.

Everyone knew that Ok St was going to win about 8 matches vs RU, give or take 1, but amature wrestling is so big in NJ, both College and HS, that it was inevitable that the RAC would be packed to see the legendary Ok St program come for a dual. In his presser , Coach Smith said he hoped to continue the home and home with RU, that he was very impressed with the size and enthusiasm of the crowd. Bottle thrower, not withstanding.
PS- The bottle thrower was in Section 112, about Row, about seats 6-8. They threw him and his buddy out. They were young guys probably about mid 20s. Security did a great job taking both out of the RAC without incident. The bottle came pretty close hitting the ref who made the hands to the head call, and that throw was probably from about 50 feet away. Bottle went with such velocity it had to be close to full. Not sure if it had a cap on, :)

Hey, isn't that near where Harley sits? lol. But they were too young to be Harley.

Using that rationale, people are also talking about the shooting at the Utah mall... is that good for malls everywhere?

Fix/Suriano at WNO was great for wrestling... still very low scoring but lots of action & scrambling. People still talking about it and it helps wrestling in general.. The krap yesterday was an embarrassment, no matter who's talking about it today at the water cooler

BTW, Ive wrestled, coached and been a fan of wrestling for probably longer than youve been on planet earth, so dont give me this nonsense about not being much of a fan
That escalated quickly.

Unless you believe the "wrestling community" only extends to RU & NJ, how can you reconcile these 2 statements:

"The wrestling community cares about our guys, nick’s call, the lack of offense, losing the dual.... all of it"

"And you say that nobody outside of the RU people are mad about the results .... I won’t argue you there, but it’s really only RU/NJ people I’m worried about anyway. "

OUR wrestling community. That’s the one we’re working on building. Although most of us are fans of the sport in general, many of us are invested in building up OUR program right now and hopefully get it to a level where we can then take a bigger part in the overall wrestling picture.

I said good for Rutgers wrestling I never said good for wrestling.Been around the sport 40 years so I'm no spring chicken.I have also wrestled and coached and since you brought up WNO I have also coached at that.Im a big fan also of all teams Im more of a fan of particular wrestlers then I am a fan of a actual team.So I have no dog in this fight at all.What happened yesterday was big for Rutgers wrestling and nobody can deny that

People talking about the shooting at the mall isn’t good for malls everywhere, and it will (unfortunately) lend to more shootings in the future. Just like how people around here talking about RU’s weekend may not be good for wrestling everywhere, but it will lead to more attention to our program - which is what we want

Are you seriously comparing a wrestling match to a fricking mall shooting????? WTF dude!!!

Reactions: koleszar
People talking about the shooting at the mall isn’t good for malls everywhere, and it will (unfortunately) lend to more shootings in the future. Just like how people around here talking about RU’s weekend may not be good for wrestling everywhere, but it will lead to more attention to our program - which is what we want
The "wrestling community" isnt defined as RU.

Anyway, let me ask a question. I think the attendance projected for yesterdays match was 9k and officially something like 7500... thats impressive and Im sure was due to the Fix/Suriano promo's. Then the match flopped

However, if yesterday was so good for RU wrestling, what would you expect attendance to be Jan 25th vs MSU?

I was wondering when a snowflake would come up with that one

I was curious how long it would take a fringe troll to come on and try to shut down this thread. Your attempt to pick apart what was intended to be positive in nature comment is soft. I thought you could do better. Arguing what is and what isn't a "wrestling community" and "Snowflake"? That's all you got?

Reactions: koleszar

Anyway, let me ask a question. I think the attendance projected for yesterdays match was 9k and officially something like 7500... thats impressive and Im sure was due to the Fix/Suriano promo's. Then the match flopped

However, if yesterday was so good for RU wrestling, what would you expect attendance to be Jan 25th vs MSU?

In terms of attendance, what happened yesterday will not have much influence. One way or the other.

Come on, this isn’t a sprint and we here know it. The absolute worst case scenarion is that we don’t see any other attendance increases and the only benefit was the extra 100k the program brought in and 8000 saw the new practice facility being built.
Either way - it was a good day

Attendance for Mich St will be around 3,500-4000 most likely if weather is ok.
RU has sold over 3,000 season tickets. MSU is near last place in Big10. Not many home meets left.. RU has finished in top 5 attendance the last 3 years behind PSU, Iowa, Ok St, and maybe Ohio St.

With 14 seconds time advantage, if both Fix and Suriano escaped in similar time in the second OT as they did in the first OT, Suriano wins the match. The shame is that the refs lengthy delay disrupted the whole flow of the match.

The flow of the match not sure what flow your talking about they stood and looked at each other.Both guys knew that if the other scored a takedown it was over because both have such good defense so they were afraid to be the one to make a mistake .Not much flow in that match.According to the rules the right call was made.Hopefully if they meet again both guys will open up and wrestle

The flow of the match not sure what flow your talking about they stood and looked at each other.Both guys knew that if the other scored a takedown it was over because both have such good defense so they were afraid to be the one to make a mistake .Not much flow in that match.According to the rules the right call was made.Hopefully if they meet again both guys will open up and wrestle

The marathon match from high school was still weighing heavy on their minds ... there was no room for error in that match and it carried over into yesterday’s match as well

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
In reply to Johnny Handsome about us getting destroyed against OSU 26-5, I think even he has to admit we lost 141 by 3, 165 by 1 while leading till the last few seconds and 197 where we lost by 2 while leading till the last 30 seconds.We lost 285 by 2 points. 174 was close as well so if every match we lost was a blowout I would agree but that was only the case at 125 and 184.

So what’s the next step in the program’s progression?

Do we need to be at this current level for another few years? Maybe longer?

Will the new practice facility allow us to bring in better resident athletes ?

I know having a national champ would go a long long way for us..

Can we get 3-4 all Americans in one season? This doesn’t seem to be the year unless some guys really really step up

In reply to Johnny Handsome about us getting destroyed against OSU 26-5, I think even he has to admit we lost 141 by 3, 165 by 1 while leading till the last few seconds and 197 where we lost by 2 while leading till the last 30 seconds.We lost 285 by 2 points. 174 was close as well so if every match we lost was a blowout I would agree but that was only the case at 125 and 184.

Bill you can't reason with someone that is unreasonable. He is looking to poke people. Point is we need to finish matches and wish that we didn't drop so many as close as we do to the final whistle. You think we leave Glasgow at home vs Iowa? I'm liking the progression of 141, 174 and 197 though. I also like our chances against Murin, Bowman and Corbin (285 BU). Not a stretch if we perform that we split matches 5/5 on Friday dependent on the bear still sitting out.

Marinelli is a beast and can hurt you he is so rough. I am not the coach but would think twice about taking him. I think someone beat Bowman at Midlands.

Marinelli is a beast and can hurt you he is so rough. I am not the coach but would think twice about taking him. I think someone beat Bowman at Midlands.

Will Scott beat Bowman on a nice tournament.I would leave Glasgow at home giving him another 11 days of rest before the next dual or he might come out of that Iowa match banged up.

this * 1000

saying we got destroyed is disingenuous. we were in every match but 2. and both Nick and Correnti got hosed (if Matt got the clear back points early on, he likely wins)

anyway, I disagree with the we got destroyed part...and I do agree that as we (Rutgers) continue with the huge crowds, it's good for the NJ Wrestling community.

Only a moron would dispute that...oh wait....

First off, who is this “Johnny...” come lately guy?

Second, you’re a psychopath for even thinking of using a “mall shooting” as an analogy here and then calling somehow a “snowflake” for calling you out in it.

Third, I completely get what the OP is saying here. My dad him as most of you know it is a 60 year Scarlet night, now, with football basketball season tickets since the early 70s, but has never followed wrestling too closely until the last couple of years as I’ve got him into it, called me last night asked me what the hell happened and how Suriano got screwed!! He was PISSED!!

Second, you’re a psychopath for even thinking of using a “mall shooting” as an analogy here and then calling somehow a “snowflake” for calling you out in it.

Third, I completely get what the OP is saying here. My dad him as most of you know it is a 60 year Scarlet night, now, with football basketball season tickets since the early 70s, but has never followed wrestling too closely until the last couple of years as I’ve got him into it, called me last night asked me what the hell happened and how Suriano got screwed!! He was PISSED!!

PSU fan...so say no more. Only here to argue...with the thinly veiled underlying point that everything RU is horrible. I knew they would all start popping up after the Suriano match.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
PSU fan...so say no more. Only here to argue...with the thinly veiled underlying point that everything RU is horrible. I knew they would all start popping up after the Suriano match.

PSU fan and handsome?

does...not....compute....

Johnny Be Banned..see ya later. At least until the next mutated screen name you make up. You got some issues.

He spent a year trying to build credibility then blew a Desanto gasket and couldn't contain himself. Back to BWI you go.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I was curious how long it would take a fringe troll to come on and try to shut down this thread. Your attempt to pick apart what was intended to be positive in nature comment is soft. I thought you could do better. Arguing what is and what isn't a "wrestling community" and "Snowflake"? That's all you got?

Suriano got screwed? lol Thats a good one.

He didnt get screwed. The penalty point was a legit call, even if most hate that it exists without at least a warning first

I happen to be a fan of NS and take a lot of brown stuff on the Hawkeye forum defending him against Spencer Lee when he wrestled for the title after rolling out of a hospital bed.

However, that doesnt mean Im gonna be blind to reality. Yesterdays match vs Fix was a bore, meaning no action, just dancing and buying time for who knows what. Thats the truth and I wish it wasnt cause Nick could be untouchable if he'd let loose offensively

Expected crowd of 9,000 ? Was the Piscataway Fire Marshall on vacation? The last time we had a crowd that big was probably the basketball win over West Virginia when they were ranked Top 5 in the country. Sometime in the 1980's.Even with some extra seats on the floor/standing room, would Piscataway allow us to put 9,000 in The RAC anymore? I thought they said years ago, 8,000 was it.

I was at the match. Although many of the close matches never seemed to be ones we would pull out, they were still competitive. The final score was lobsided but most of the matches individually were not.

I said to my buddies, “every guy on OK St was just a little better”. And considering almost every OK St wrestler was ranked, I think we made a decent showing.

Let’s see how we fair through the heart of the B1G schedule and in the matchup vs. Princeton.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I concur completely...the score was not reflective of how close the matches really were ...and even at 184 with a highly undersized Willie Scott taking on a ranked kid he put on show with his heart ...that’s what I saw all day ..close matches that a couple kids coulda won ...and if we had real refs it woulda been a totally different experience ..they were a disgrace and in my humble opinion it was a huge day for RU wrestling ...losing not withstanding !

You can see from the pictures I posted I was in 113. I moved at intermission, so I was not in them after the break. I'll be back there next weekend. In the last row of 113 sits the dad of Richie Lewis, so chatted with him a bit as well. He mentioned Richie was in Colorado training .
Crazy day all along, but things were much tamer after the break, lol. I thought Correnti should have won, should have had back points, and plus should not have given up the take down with 20 seconds to go, needs to finish that out. I think him and Grello, are both trending well, and both will qualify for Nationals. I'm afraid Gravina's injury will prevent him from having the season he was hoping for, his shoulder didn't hold out very long, not even 3 full matches. Not sure how he could hold up for Big 10 tourney and then NCAA tourney.

I posted the following pics from the Suriano and Ashnault matches as well as others from my seat in 113 (and although I saw the 2 guys thrown out, I have no idea who they are) :

50170690_10217021834394138_1561865832147976192_n.jpg

49431861_10217023433194107_8802038399406964736_n.jpg

I am certainly praying Gravina is healthy enough to wrestle in the post season reaching All American status.He has given his all for the program coming back from multiple surgeries.He is one tough dude.

ADVERTISEMENT