ADVERTISEMENT

NJRTC cuts ties with Pat Downey

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
Due to his comments about women's wrestling and Greco.

What did he say?

@PatDowney
· 20h
i'd pay to watch @AlliRayg & @helen_maroulis wrestle. same with @AdelineGray & @ericawiebe or anyone against @Victoria_Vortex but in general the average fan aint paying for womens wrestling #SorryNotSorry #FeelingsLieNumbersDont

@PatDowney
·
20h

1f923.svg

1f480.svg
everyone salty bout the truth sorry aint nobody tryna watch that boring ass shit lls
@FloWrestling
don't get paid off equality they a business & in order for ALL parties involved they must produce the most exciting matchups. this is business let them do their job

https://twitter.com/PatDowney

1f4b0.svg

1f4b0.svg

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Yup, today people can't have and express different opinions.

When the 2 Princeton coaches (who have a lot to say about the NJRTC) have wives and daughters heavily involved in Wrestling, PDIII probably should have been less vocal or quiet altogether about his thoughts. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I think Flo just nixed PDIII from his David Taylor match, that will also cost him money. His own worst enemy at times. He will be perfect for MMA or Pro Wrestling.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
When the 2 Princeton coaches (who have a lot to say about the NJRTC) have wives and daughters heavily involved in Wrestling, PDIII probably should have been less vocal or quiet altogether about his thoughts. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Flo just nixed PDIII from his David Taylor match, that will also cost him money. His own worst enenmy at times. He will be perfect for MMA or Pro Wrestling.

Exactly.

Ayres is a huge supporter and advocate for women's wrestling so PD3 has to be smarter and you can't bite the hand that feeds you. Also, I'm sure this isn't the first time Pat has gone too far and it finally caught up with him. You run out of chances unfortunately.

If that’s all he said they shouldn’t have released him. However, he has to be a little smarter with his opinions because we’re not allowed to have them anymore. Too much sensitivity going on it appears I would like to see him have some of the executives talk to him and give him another opportunity.

That’s crazy. The guy just states a true statement. How many people here would go pay to see a women’s wrestling match. It’s a process that will be done hopefully in the next 20 years. I would say 95percent of HS kids never saw a women’s HS match in there own town How about all those Colleges that cut sports. Pat didn’t say anything women should not wrestle
True or not, it's just an opinion. His opinion. The bigger issue to me is that people cannot freely speak anymore without consequences. He has been a loose cannon for a long time, so it's not surprising that he would be controversial. Dangerous times are coming with censorship and aggression toward people with differing opinions.

PDIII's twitter comments the past month have become increasingly toxic. A ploy to market his bout against Taylor on Flowrestling perhaps. I think if he genuinely apologized in public, and in private to the NJRTC, it could help getting reinstated.

Good Riddance! It was only a matter of time, he has imploded at every stop since High School. He was not only representing NJRTC but also RU and Princeton. When the big donors get involved and he still does not stop.....this is what happens.

PDIII's twitter comments the past month have become increasingly toxic. A ploy to market his bout against Taylor on Flowrestling perhaps. I think if he genuinely apologized in public, and in private to the NJRTC, it could help getting reinstated.

For what should he apologize, expressing his opinion, or having it? The NJRTC is the bigger loser with his dismissal. Perhaps they should apologize.

Last edited:
For what should he apologize, expressing his opinion, or having it? The NJRTC is the bigger loser with his dismissal. Perhaps they should apologize.
Expressing it.

Freedom of speech doesn’t guarantee freedom of consequences.

Do people support women’s wrestling? Absolutely. And I’m sure Downey is included. Do people go out of their way to subscribe to women’s wrestling? I doubt there’s very many that do, which I think was his point but I don’t know the whole context. The question though, is what does Downey have to gain by saying that?

R U Crazy "It would be a hug hit as he was their heavyweight training partner"

Always thought that Jimmy Lawson who was an All American at Penn State and a 3 time NJ High School champ worked out with our big guys. I remember that he was credited for Esposito's improvement.

Expressing it.

Freedom of speech doesn’t guarantee freedom of consequences.

No, it doesn't, but in the past we were all adults and mature about it, knowing that opinions varied and we accepted that. If he was speaking in an official role, then yes, I can understand the dismissal. But cutting ties just because someone has a contrary view is unreasonably intolerant.

Do people support women’s wrestling? Absolutely. And I’m sure Downey is included. Do people go out of their way to subscribe to women’s wrestling? I doubt there’s very many that do, which I think was his point but I don’t know the whole context. The question though, is what does Downey have to gain by saying that?

The whole point of social media today is to express oneself. When that expression crosses over to something illegal or indecent, it likely violates the posting policy of the medium. Anything else is freedom of speech and up to those viewing whether or not they wish to continue receiving. If his remarks represented only his thoughts and not those of NJRTC, then I believe they have overstepped in cutting ties. It sounds rather childish to me to be vindictive over an expressed opinion, even if that tweet itself was childish. And if there has to be something gained from expressing oneself, there would be little said.

R U Crazy "It would be a hug hit as he was their heavyweight training partner"

Always thought that Jimmy Lawson who was an All American at Penn State and a 3 time NJ High School champ worked out with our big guys. I remember that he was credited for Esposito's improvement.

He did in the in Nov and Dec, not sure about later in the season and now.

PD III is part of SKWC.
Was he part of NJRTC as well?
Does SKWC cut ties?
https://scarletknightswrestlingclub.com/resident-athletes/

It would be a hug hit as he was their heavyweight training partner
NJRTC has athlete from SKWC and Princeton RTC:

Reese Humphry (head coach)

SKWC Residents
Anthony Ashnault
Tyler Graff
Ethan Ramos
Pat Downey

Princeton RTC Residents
Bryce Meredith
Nate Jackson
CJ Brucki
Boris Novachkov

Perhaps Myles Martin
Go on...

This is the last in a long line of questionable comments... the guy just accused David Taylor of taking steroids and double downed in a Flo interview among other things. Given his history on social media in the past (some pretty sketchy stuff), my guess is they saw this getting worse and used this as a reason to cut ties.

The NJRTC doesn’t need this kind of publicity.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Would be interested to see who we can get but would think we have become a bigger name now and could attract someone pretty darn good.

If that’s all he said they shouldn’t have released him. However, he has to be a little smarter with his opinions because we’re not allowed to have them anymore. Too much sensitivity going on it appears I would like to see him have some of the executives talk to him and give him another opportunity.

While on the surface this appears to be nothing.... Would like to know more before rendering my opinion on the matter... But other than that... This is one of the main reasons i dont do social media... Once ur private opinions become public knowledge...Ur done!!!

Reactions: brentx35
While on the surface this appears to be nothing.... Would like to know more before rendering my opinion on the matter... But other than that... This is one of the main reasons i dont do social media... Once ur private opinions become public knowledge...Ur done!!!

I agree with you there is probably more to the story. I have also never participated in personal social media only through my business which thank god someone handles that for me. Hopefully NJRTC comes up with a better partner.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling

doubling down and calling women’s wrestling boring shit is disrespectful to your employer, and cancerous to a locker room and culture.

This isn’t a difference of opinion. A difference of opinion would have been had he stopped at the first tweet.

he doubled down instead.

doubling down and calling women’s wrestling boring shit is disrespectful to your employer, and cancerous to a locker room and culture.

This isn’t a difference of opinion. A difference of opinion would have been had he stopped at the first tweet.

he doubled down instead.

Correct! And his quotes on womens wrestling were only a part of his dismisall.

Yikes...Looks like the comments were just the tip of the iceberg with PD3, there are rumors of sexual misconduct. Again, this a rumor/unsubstantiated at this point but where there is smoke...

Yikes...Looks like the comments were just the tip of the iceberg with PD3, there are rumors of sexual misconduct. Again, this a rumor/unsubstantiated at this point but where there is smoke...
Even if it's just an allegation with his past you simply have to jettison him.

ADVERTISEMENT