ADVERTISEMENT

NJSIAA announces decision on high school wrestling weight classes

These will be the new boys wrestling weight classes: 106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 144, 150, 157, 165, 175, 190, 215, 285.

What happens when teams wrestle out of state and the weight classes are different.
Correct that is an issue that needs to be resolved. NJ last season had new decent rules....unless NJ grants a waiver for out of state tournaments it will be very difficult for NJ teams to compete. For example, in an out of state tournament the weight class is 160 and they have a 2lb weight allowance(in Jan). So weight is 162lbs. NJ is 157lbs and 165lbs. So the 165lber cannot weigh in at 162 cause he can only lose 1.5% of weight per week......If the 157lber moves up to 162, it takes him 3-4 weeks to be eligible at 157......Wish NJ just waited till two years to change the weights, like everyone else.

Correct that is an issue that needs to be resolved. NJ last season had new decent rules....unless NJ grants a waiver for out of state tournaments it will be very difficult for NJ teams to compete. For example, in an out of state tournament the weight class is 160 and they have a 2lb weight allowance(in Jan). So weight is 162lbs. NJ is 157lbs and 165lbs. So the 165lber cannot weigh in at 162 cause he can only lose 1.5% of weight per week......If the 157lber moves up to 162, it takes him 3-4 weeks to be eligible at 157......Wish NJ just waited till two years to change the weights, like everyone else.
Schools in midwest go into Michigan and wrestle Michigan weights. They do the old 119 125 130 135 140 145 152

Do those NJSIAA rules apply to NJ wrestlers when they wrestle out of state? Anyone have the NJSIAA rules on out of state competitions?

Do those NJSIAA rules apply to NJ wrestlers when they wrestle out of state? Anyone have the NJSIAA rules on out of state competitions?
I don’t believe the NJSIAA can hold it against a wrestler or a team if they break a rule for out of state competition. I’m not sure how it works in wrestling but in most sports the coach has to submit paperwork to the NJSIAA for out of state competitions in order to earn adjusted power points towards the state tournament.

I would think the only “penalty,” for lack of a better word, would be not accepting a team or individual match if there was a violation and it wouldn’t count towards state seeding.

I'm actually glad that they are changing this!! Weight classes should be tilted to the middle weights where there is the most participation!!

I don’t believe the NJSIAA can hold it against a wrestler or a team if they break a rule for out of state competition. I’m not sure how it works in wrestling but in most sports the coach has to submit paperwork to the NJSIAA for out of state competitions in order to earn adjusted power points towards the state tournament.

I would think the only “penalty,” for lack of a better word, would be not accepting a team or individual match if there was a violation and it wouldn’t count towards state seeding.
You cannot break NJSIAA rules in out of state competition. You do not earn power points for out of state duals, nor do out of state wins count towards state seeding.

One of the reasons NJ moved the 2lb allowance to Jan 1st from Jan 15th was to be in-line with more states. If you went to a tournament say Jan 8th in PA, they would have a 2lb allowance, NJ wrestlers would not get the 2lb allowance. Happened a lot(of course some coaches reached out to certain tournament directors and said hey can you give my wrestlers the 2lb allowance but record them at flat weight).

Last edited:
You cannot break NJSIAA rules in out of state competition. You do not earn power points for out of state duals, nor do out of state wins count towards state seeding.

One of the reasons NJ moved the 2lb allowance to Jan 1st from Jan 15th was to be in-line with more states. If you went to a tournament say Jan 8th in PA, they would have a 2lb allowance, NJ wrestlers would not get the 2lb allowance. Happened a lot(of course some coaches reached out to certain tournament directors and said hey can you give my wrestlers the 2lb allowance but record them at flat weight).
Interesting and odd. Just a heads up but NJSIAA has 1/15 for the 2 lbs allowance on its website (silly it's not 1/1):

Two Pound Growth Allowance:01/15/2022

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s always been the 15th. You also get an additional pound the day following a weekend or if you have matches on back to back days unless they changed that protocol

Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s always been the 15th. You also get an additional pound the day following a weekend or if you have matches on back to back days unless they changed that protocol
2018-19 season changed to Jan 1st(and pretty sure the 19-20 season kept it at Jan 1st). Last season, since it started so late, 2lb allowance was all season. Possible that they went back to 1/15, will keep checking...lol
You do get a 1lb allowance if back to back days of matches

So is Soldano going 190 now? I'd hate to see him and Poz at the same weight. I hope Poz sticks to 184 and Soldano at 197.

So is Soldano going 190 now? I'd hate to see him and Poz at the same weight. I hope Poz sticks to 184 and Soldano at 197.
I would guess Soldano will choose 190 this year. He had shown some significant growth and weight gain having gone from 160 to 182 and I suspect he was still growing. I see him at 197 at Rutgers unless Poz feels he has to move up. Soldano will be as ready as Poz was when he arrives and has the potential to be even better.

I think Soldano has more upside. Poz is not really a big scorer, just really tough to score on. Soldano is a potential bonus point machine the way Turley is.

ADVERTISEMENT