ADVERTISEMENT

NJSIAA Team Wrestling Tournament to undergo significant format changes

The article has a picture of 8 mats in an arena. How many did we have for the B1G tourney? I don't think we can fit 8.

The article has a picture of 8 mats in an arena. How many did we have for the B1G tourney? I don't think we can fit 8.
Correct cannot get 8 mats.....this pic of the 8 mats is the individual NJ state tourn in AC(even though the article is about team states). Only need 4 mats for team states, which are being held at Franklin HS this year. Rutgers could host team team states, however, hard to work around Rutgers Mens and Womens Bball and Ru wrestling schedule. And it also depends on $$, how much would RU charge the NJSIAA to use the facility.

Reactions: Leonard23
Correct cannot get 8 mats.....this pic of the 8 mats is the individual NJ state tourn in AC(even though the article is about team states). Only need 4 mats for team states, which are being held at Franklin HS this year. Rutgers could host team team states, however, hard to work around Rutgers Mens and Womens Bball and Ru wrestling schedule. And it also depends on $$, how much would RU charge the NJSIAA to use the facility.
Hobbs/Goodale need to get it done starting in the 2022-23 season. Have the team state champs at the RAC, keep the individual state tourney at AC. The new NJSIAA commissioner wants to have as many State Champ games at RU as possible from what I hear, as long as RU has the infrastructure to do so (obviously can't host sports like ice hockey without an ice hockey arena, for example)...but I could see sports like soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, volleyball, etc., having the NJ HS State Champs moved to RU in the future.

Team tournament should definitely be held at the RAC. Shouldn’t be that difficult.

Individual state tournament at the RAC would never work. Not enough room for mats and not enough hotels to lodge the athletes and their families. Plus going to AC for a weekend has a lot more to offer than a weekend in New Brunswick

ADVERTISEMENT