ADVERTISEMENT

No. 14 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Plays at No. 7 Maryland in Big Ten Tournament

Yes, of course.

Just giving an idea of the landscape out there.

Minnesota is one to keep an eye on in the B1G. And MSU- they used to have a D1 program and the alums would like to see it brought back.

Minnesota is probably the fastest growing lacrosse state out there.

Would be nice to see maybe Wisconsin add lacrosse. They don't sponsor either baseball or lax as men's sports during the spring season. No idea if there's some grassroots level growth in lax within the state of WI such as what was suggested above is already occurring in MN.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
Wisconsin has lacrosse but it’s not as developed as some of the other Midwest states, specifically Michigan and Minnesota. I’d add Ohio to that list too.

Would be nice to see maybe Wisconsin add lacrosse. They don't sponsor either baseball or lax as men's sports during the spring season. No idea if there's some grassroots level growth in lax within the state of WI such as what was suggested above is already occurring in MN.

UW also does not have a woman's lax team, so there are real Title IX issues. Just makes Northwestern even more obvious.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I'm sure any school with a women's team only is already Title 9 neutral. To add a men's team, they'd very likely need to add another women's team of equal spend.

Title 9 is the biggest hurdle to adding men's sports as it currently exists. The trans in sports conundrum is making it more challenging going forward.

Is the title 9 requirement the total number of sports men’s vs women’s or total number of athletes on men’s side vs women’s side? If it’s the ladder, having football teams with 100+ athletes really limits the opportunity to expand men’s sports.

Reactions: mattkamish
Is the title 9 requirement the total number of sports men’s vs women’s or total number of athletes on men’s side vs women’s side? If it’s the ladder, having football teams with 100+ athletes really limits the opportunity to expand men’s sports.

It's total dollar expenditures.

It's very much eschewed because there is no equivalent of football. Every school therefore sponsors a large number of women's sports as compared to men's.

Reactions: Laxing4life
I'm sure any school with a women's team only is already Title 9 neutral. To add a men's team, they'd very likely need to add another women's team of equal spend.

Title 9 is the biggest hurdle to adding men's sports as it currently exists. The trans in sports conundrum is making it more challenging going forward.
The trans in sports conundrum is not making it more challenging. Title 9 certainly is.

We are going down a political path but I will respectfully disagree. It's seems very easy to see what's coming down the pipe.

It’s the spend, which directly correlates with the number of athletes. Football is the reason that t9 exists. No other sport, men’s or women’s, has anywhere near 85 scholarship athletes. You need at least 3-4 women’s sports to offset FB.

Reactions: Laxing4life
Although it wouldn't be the same numbers, I'm hearing a lot about women's flag football being added as a varsity sport. It's growing very quickly here in SoCal.

It's total dollar expenditures.

It's very much eschewed because there is no equivalent of football. Every school therefore sponsors a large number of women's sports as compared to men's.

I think the number of scholarships also comes into play.

Reactions: Wagram97
We are going down a political path but I will respectfully disagree. It's seems very easy to see what's coming down the pipe.
Honestly, I don't know what is coming down the pipe/pike. It's only a handful of actual human beings though so I'm having trouble understanding why that would cause trouble on a macro scale. I suspect we living in very different media environments though.

Just numbers really. The amount of kids "transitioning" has never been higher. Certainly that's going to have some impact on sports moving forward, as we've already started to see.

Reactions: mattkamish
It’s the spend, which directly correlates with the number of athletes. Football is the reason that t9 exists. No other sport, men’s or women’s, has anywhere near 85 scholarship athletes. You need at least 3-4 women’s sports to offset FB.
Football needs to be pulled out of the mix completely. It skews the numbers and makes it next to impossible to add any mens sports.

I guess at the time title9 served its purpose but times change. I’m not saying eliminate womens sports. Keep them and grow them as you wish…but don’t tie equity in numbers and include the 85 mens football scholarships. Especially when we know most Olympic sports, especially womens, are paid for by revenues generated from football…

Again, I’m for supporting and protecting “womens” sports. But football numbers should absolutely be pulled from that equation. If that happened it would help lacrosse but you would still need major donors to write some big checks to launch these lacrosse start ups.

Football needs to be pulled out of the mix completely. It skews the numbers and makes it next to impossible to add any mens sports.

I guess at the time title9 served its purpose but times change. I’m not saying eliminate womens sports. Keep them and grow them as you wish…but don’t tie equity in numbers and include the 85 mens football scholarships. Especially when we know most Olympic sports, especially womens, are paid for by revenues generated from football…

Again, I’m for supporting and protecting “womens” sports. But football numbers should absolutely be pulled from that equation. If that happened it would help lacrosse but you would still need major donors to write some big checks to launch these lacrosse start ups.

There are alternative ways to show compliance but the pure numbers calculation method makes it impossible to challenge. The other tests could be litigated against, even if they were met, and the costs of litigation scares the schools away.

ADVERTISEMENT